Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

Unread 04-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

I'll be having a LSH on May 7th and haven't seen much posted about this type of surgery. I know it's rather new and that I'm fortunate that my hysterectomy can be done this way. I'd love to heard from anyone who has had theirs done this way, I'm not sure what to expect. Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 01:57 PM
lap supracervical

Hi there,

Actually, I found another thread about this type of surgery so I will apologize in advance for posting the same info twice, but I did want to respond to your individual post. I had my lap supra hyst on March 28th. My doctor does them in a day surgery center. He scheduled me for 2:30pm so they actually kept me overnight. I had 3 tiny incisions, one in my bellybutton, two, very low, where he had done my c-section 9.5 years ago. With the right low incision they insert a tube connected to a machine called a morcellator. The morcellator shreds the uterine tissue as it vacuums it up the tubing....sorry if its too graphic but I thought it was very interesting. I woke up about 4:15pm and was feeling a little sore, but not in pain. They moved me to a cubicle with a TV so I would have something to look at. I had a catheter and an IV at that time. The nurses brought me 2 Percosets every 3 hours so I stayed very comfortable and not in any pain. They kept the juices coming and gave me some crackers around 6pm. My DP brought me a veggie sub around 8pm and I kept it all down....gosh I was so hungry since the surgery was so late! Around 1am I convinced the nurse to remove the cathater and was able to urinate on my own. Around 5:30 she took out my IV. I walked around the nurses station on and off since the cathater removal....I would have left sooner but I had to wait on the doc to deliver a baby.

It was a very easy surgery...much easier than my c-section. I drove my dd to school the following Monday and did so the rest of my 3 weeks off from work. My doc would have sent me back to work sooner but my employer's HR people wouldnt let me back until the lifting restriction was removed. All restrictions were removed at 3 weeks. I have been back to work since April 22nd. I still dont have quite the energy level of pre-surgery...the doc said that will be back by 3 more weeks...but I'm feeling very good and back to my walking/exercise routine.

Good Luck to you and email me if you have any questions.

Blondi45
Unread 04-24-2002, 02:58 PM
I had one too.

I had a LSH just 12 days ago. I'm 52. I'm doing fine and the wierd part is that I did not use any pain meds either in the hospital or at home. I had discomfort, but no real pain unless you count the gas pains, and I thought those would probably not go away if I used pain meds that would slow my system down. Anyway, I'm walking about 6-12 blocks a day and did some weeding today, but I do stay down for about 1/2 day so that I can rest and get even stronger. I put out the same call for information that you have before I had this surgery. Sisters who had it told me that I was really lucky that my problem could be corrected with this type of hyst and that I live in an area where it is offered. Blondi45 pretty-much described the procedure. My surgery took 4.5 hours....quite a while, but way less recovery time!
Good Luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 05:13 PM

HI Kathy, you should post your question on the post-op board also you may get some more responses.

Jocelin
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info, I was most concerned on recovery, I've had 4 laparoscopies before and a c-section it sounds like what I've been through before. This is the first time I'll be spending the night in the hospital. Even though I'm schedule for an early surgery time my doctor wants me where he can keep an eye on me for the first 24 hours, I tend to have some real funky reactions to the drugs they use to put you to sleep, last Oct, when I had my last one, I woke up with a killer headache that took nearly 4 weeks to go away, turns out it was the pain meds I was taking for the headache, something called rebound headaches.
Unread 04-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Wondering if anyone who has had a LSH was extra heavy and how surgery was?

Hi ladies,

I am scheduled for a LSH on May 6th, and am getting alot of great information from everyone. I just had a question about weight and having this type of surgery done. I am centrally obese
and read about the two very low incisions. I believe I can handle it okay, but how does it feel, etc.

Also, wondering about the time of recovery. My doc says two weeks and back to work, providing no problems or comps. I am planning a short trip by plane to Spokane just under the two weeks after surgery over a weekend. I know I will experience
tiredness, but I think I can survive a weekend. I have recently read that someone had that surgery on 3/28, and went back to work 4/22. That is way more than two weeks. I am concerned
because I want to be getting back into life, although slowly asap.

Thanks to all that respond and to all :smiley:

Judy
Unread 04-25-2002, 03:31 PM
LSH procedure

Dear sisters:
I just had my LSH with BSO 2 days ago - April 23, and am feeling on the road to recovery already!
The first night was the roughest - I wanted a PCA=pump to control pain, which is does, but that (and anesthesias) make you ghastly nauseous! The morning after the procedure, I puked my guts out - and felt better. Took percocet yesterday & just one tablet today so far for pain - it's really more stiffness/sorness than pain. I can describe the stiffness like you're shuffling around like a little old man the first day! Hard to get up & down (tricky to figure out out to do that without using ab muscles!) I'm relying on my thigh muscles to lower/raise me - they are strong from dancing, and that helps. Need to curl up & rest frequently.
I'm kinda emotional - had a good cry today, probably the hormone rollercoaster (surgical menopause) as well as relief, etc. that I came thru this. I can't wait till I'm physically really feeling better & healed (those 4 little incisions are SORE!)
I have never had major abdominal surgery, but from descriptions from other hystersisters, the LSH is far less invasive than traditional TAH & recovery will be much speedier. To those sisters anticipating an LSH - You'll do fine & you will start feeling better in an amazingly short period of time (for major surgery!)
God Bless you all - and thank you, Sisters, for your love & support which really helped *me* thru this!
I'm a punctured Princess - but a finally!

Marisa
Unread 04-25-2002, 04:21 PM
heavy/returning to work

Judi,

To address your concerns....I weigh around 198 pounds and had the lap supracervical w/no problems....I am 5'5" so you can tell I'm rather obese. I am the "apple" type woman so I tend to carry it in my middle. The doctor had no problems...the incisions gave me no worries. I removed the bandaids over the steri-strips 2 days after surgery and decided that was not a bright idea. My tummy was rubbing the low incisions, so I got my dd's princess bandaids and covered them back up...no problems.

The work issue was related to a lifting requirement at work. I work w/the large switching machines that processes everyone's phone calls. We are required to lift up to 50 pounds for our job. Since I couldn't do that for 3 weeks my doctor kept me home. My job doesnt have a "light duty" area I could move to so they wont take me back till I am able to fulfill all the requirements of the job. I really could have gone back to work in 2 weeks if I'd had a sedentary job. I hope that answers your questions.

Good luck to you,

Blondi45
Unread 04-25-2002, 09:11 PM

Marisa......... what? you needed morphine with a LSH?
My doctor says "hardly anyone needs more than motrin"..... I told him....... I know I will.

He better have something stronger written in my chart....
I;m bringing the darvect perscription he gave me to the hosipital.. lol
take care
xo DonnaFay
Unread 04-26-2002, 01:15 PM
pain meds

Hi, Donna Fay:
I had requested pain medication pump pre-op - actually was not morphine, but delaudit/laudineum (sp?). I had had my gall bladder out in a lap procedure 5 years ago without a PCA pump & was in a lot of pain the first long day & night. Did not want to go thru that again. Other than being pretty stoned the whole time I was on it & getting really sick once the next morning, I found the pump experience wasn't bad. next day I went on percocet, but have only needed a dose now & then. Extra=strength Tylenol seems to be helping now as does getting up & moving about to relieve stiffness/soreness.
Hope this helps clarify some.

Marisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register