Lupron and bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron and bleeding Lupron and bleeding

Unread 04-24-2002, 02:21 PM
Lupron and bleeding

Hi ladies

I'm 6 weeks into first Lupron shot, to get rid of endometriosis (or at least shrink it).
However, I'm having a pretty heavy period - I was under the impression I would NOT bleed on this medication.
I'm taking Aygestin too, to counter some of the Lupron side effects - could this have "brought on" a period?
Anyone have any experiences?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 03:17 PM
lupron

hey tess....
i was on lupron for four months and bled the entire time. my doctor who has done hundreds of case studies on lupron said that the incidence of bleeding is .01%. it is rare but not impossible. he also told me that spotting is okay but heavy bleeding is not. the agestyn did not cause my bleeding when i first went on lupron they gave me heavy doses of agestyn and it dropped my bleeding down to an annoying dribble. after i was on lupron for three and half months my bleeding picked up and i went in early for the hyst....ask your doctor about the dosage on the agestyn to slow your bleeding.....i know i took so many a day and then after three weeks it went down to one a day...so dont let it continue .....call your doc. i'm happy to answer any questions...just email me
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Lupron

Tess
I am on Lupron also although I only had my shot two weeks ago. I am also experiencing heavy bleeding. Which injections are you on monthly or the 3 month? I am on the 3 month shots. It was my understanding based on my Dr's explanation that I would still have periods but that by the time I was done with my 6 month treatment my peiods "may already be stopped."
I had also read that in the begining of the Lupron it increases you hormone production for a few weeks before the hormone production starts to drop off. It said that it is possible while this is happening for your endo symptoms to get worse before they get better. Kind of makes you wonder what good is that right? I would suggest calling the Dr and ask if it should be affecting you this way. Good Luck! I hope things get better for you. If there is anyway I can help email me, even if you just need an ear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 08:42 AM
still bleeding

I know what you mean. I've been bleeding since March 25th. The doc put me on Agestyn. Hasn't helpled yet. I'm still bleeding. And I'm getting very frustrated. I just want to stop bleeding. The doctor said I have simple hyperplasia but not too much to worry about. I'm thinking that I may have to have a hysterectomy. So, I'm getting as much info as I can. are you taking Agestyn too?
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:07 PM
Lupron and bleeding

When I was on Lupron 3.25 once a month for six months I started my period again during the third month of it.

When I was on Lupron 7.50 once a month for 3 months I stopped bleeding during the first month -- had a myomectomy after the 3rd shot and promptly started my period again 2 weeks after surgery.

hope this helps!

Leslie
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Lupron and bleeding

I took Lupron for three months before my surgery (three injections) to shrink fibroids and bled almost up until my TAH, although it did taper off gradually. My doctor explained to me what the Lupron does is it causes you to shed your entire uterine lining. (women shed some of it every month as a period). My doctor said that most women don't have as much bleeding on the Lupron as I did, but that I was just one of the unlucky ones LOL. It did eventually stop by the time I went in for surgery, but before that it was something I had to deal with - sometimes it was VERY heavy and kept me at home. And as my doctor said, it was easy to see what I had been carrying around inside all this time. A friend of ours is a retired head of OB/GYN at a leading hospital here in Boston and when I asked him about it, he verified exactly what my own doctor had told me. So, that was my experience with it. I even wore a pad into the operating room and my doctor laughed about it when he saw it. He said to me, "you'll never have to buy any more of these" and that made me so happy. So yes, you can have bleeing with Lupron. For me, it was worth taking it in the end because it did a great job of shrinking the fibroids which helped my surgery.
Unread 05-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Lupron???

Hi Ladies,

I just got back from seeing my gyn. I need a hyst because of a 5cm fibroid (TAH, still deciding about BSO), but she said she won't operate because I'm so anemic. Said she wants me to have 2 shots of Lupron (second will follow the first by 3 weeks); current plan is she'll operate 7 weeks after I start. I think I've had about 2 days of NO bleeding in the past 2 months, although I'm down to spotting (for the moment!).

I mentioned to her the comments about continual bleeding, but she said that in her experience that was very rare. She never mentioned trying to shrink the fibroid; the is to stop the bleeding long enough for me to build my reserves back up as opposed to having a transfusion, although I saw in a previous post (can't find it now) that someone had to go into the hospital a day early to get a transfusion and still came out anemic. Yuck!

Tess, is it getting any better? And forgive my ignorance, but what is Agestyn?

I trust my doc, but I'd sure like to hear some more success stories! Can you point me in a direction?

Thanks!
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:20 AM
LUPRON AND BLEEDING

Hello Gusto!
Well, Aygestyn is a hormone that is supposed to slow down or stop your bleeding. My doc told me that it's supposed to take out any abnormal tissue around my uterus. To this day, it hasn't done anything. I'm only getting 5mg of this stuff. Maybe it's just not enough. I don't know. All I know is that I'm paying for this stuff and nothings happening. I've been bleeding since March 25th. I've only had 4 days of NO bleeding all this time. Now I'm supposed to take this Aygestyn for 45 days (June 8) and then go back to the doc for another biopsy. I'll probably end up having a hyst. I'm not doing this for another couple of months. I just want this crap to stop. To me, a hyst is the only way. Sorry, I can't be too positive about this...but I am just so frustrated with everything. I'm tired and I want my life back!
Unread 05-02-2002, 06:17 AM
Lupron and bleeding

Hi Gustogal. Your situation sounds similar to mine. I was VERY anemic and was put on the Lupron for two reasons. One reason was to shrink the fibroid(s) so that surgery would be easier (allowing for the horizontal incision, too). The other reason was to try and slow down the bleeding so that I could build my blood back up. The doctor said that he could never operate on my while I was so anemic - and that no one would - I was a surgical risk, which I understood. So the Lurpon was hopefully going to give my body a break. As I explained above, I was one of the people who unfortunately kept bleeding, although it continued to get less. I remember at one point going in and the doctor doing a blood test and I said to him, "How can my levels have gone up with this bleeding still going on?" Even though I was taking iron three times a day, I couldn't imagine my situation would have gotten any better. But guess what? I was wrong. The test showed my numbers were climbing and I was making good progress, despite the bleeding that didn't want to leave. I, too, was worried about that, and concerned that I wasn't going to be able to build myself back up, but I did. At one point, I asked about blood transfusions and my doctor said I would be fine, and that I wouldn't need any. From what I could tell, most women are helped by the Lupron as far as controlling the bleeding. I was just one of those who didn't have it that easy in that department. But as for shrinking the fibroid, wow, did it work. In one month, I could FEEL how small it had gotten. Amazing.
Unread 05-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Lupron and bleeding

Hi Debbie & Deb!

First, thank you so much for responding to my post. I just got back from a conference in Reno today and, wouldn't you know it, last night "the return of the period from hell" started! (not that I had stopped bleeding, but I was almost down to panty liners for all of a week!)

Deb, sorry you're going through this too! It's the pits, no lie! I hope your doctor is able to figure out what's going on and can help you.

Debbie21, thanks for your words of encouragement. When I did a google search on lupron one of the first sites to come up was "victims of lupron" and the horror stories were unbelieveable! However I believe that just cuz you see it on the internet doesn't make it so, and it seems these people were treated for different reasons (and much longer periods of time). In any case, it's nice to know that your experience, while not perfect, was successful. By the way, how were the side effects (hot flashes, night sweats, etc.)?? My DH said he can handle anything unless I start kung fu-ing him in the middle of the night!

I am SO GRATEFUL for this website!!! Thanks again, ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register