What I Have | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-24-2002, 04:44 PM
What I Have

Hi, all!

I went to have my staples removed today and was able to ask questions that had been running through my mind.

To back track a bit:

Had TAH/BSO April 15th due to complex hyperplasia with atypia - found on biopsy & D&C.

On Day 1 post-op the gyn told me they didn't see any cancer & decided not to take the lymph nodes.

On Day 2 post-op he said that after further review the pathologist had found a small in situ cancer on one of the last frozen sections he was to look at. GYN said treatment was what we had just done TAH BSO.

So, 10 days post-op I wanted more info.

I wanted to know exacly where and what stage of cancer I had. He drew a very good diagram. The cancer was a small area limited to just the endometrium. It had not affected the uterine wall at all, yet. Evidently, I have/had stage 1a endo cancer. (Is that correct terminology?) He still states that only treatment needed was the tah/bso and yearly pap smears. He said chance of reoccurance is 1-2%. They also found a benign tumor on one of my ovaries. Neither of us knew it was there!

If that is so, I feel really lucky. But shouldn't I have any followup with an oncologist just to be sure? Should I schedule an apt. with my reg. dr. & ask her if I need blood tests or CT or anything else?

Thanks, Sisters!

Debbie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 04:56 PM
What I Have

Debbie,

Hi! I had a similar saga with ovarian ca - it's was 3 pathologists and 2 gyn oncs before they could decide whether what I had was CA or not (it appears to be a very small borderline tumor and apparently the classification is difficult). The good news for folks like us is that surgery is usually the cure. The bad news is that (at least I) feel sort of in-between ca and not.

With my gyn onc's advice, we are doign aggressive watchful waiting on me. I get some blood tests and a CT scan every 3 months. This cycle will continue for 2 years, and then less frequently for 5 more years. Now typically ovca is more aggressive and fast growing than other gyn cancers, so that is one reason why I wanted aggresive follow-up. And I am relatively young (43) with 3 very small kids.

My advice is that you should ask lots of questions and get as much follow-up as makes you feel comfortable. If you have any concerns, get a second opinion on the type of follow-up you need.

Hugs

Dorrie
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:50 PM
What I Have

s Debbie

I agree completely with what Dorrie said. If seeing the oncologist and hearing what his recommended follow up would be, brings you peace of mind, then go for it. That way you'll never have to second guess yourself one day.
Stay in touch.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Hi Debbie

to you.
Fortunately the endometrial cancer is very slow growing and is contained inside the uterus (uterus lining) for a long time. It is usually caught very early. Thank goodness yours was as well, even though it came as a surprise.
Your doctor was right in that the odds of recurrence are about 1%-2%. And no other treatment is necessary.
Most of us who have had endo cancer need to have a vaginal pap
every 3 months for a year or two. Yours may have been so tiny that he feels once a year is okay.
If you do see a gynecological oncologist he may want them done more frequently too.
By all means do whatever you need to, to insure your peace of mind.
Unread 04-25-2002, 03:46 PM
What I Have

GOOD NEWS INDEED, A SURPRISE BUT, GOOD NEWS
ANYWAY.
NOW, YOU NEED TO REST AND REST AND REST.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register