makes me sick | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

makes me sick makes me sick

Unread 04-24-2002, 07:04 PM
makes me sick

Literally. I am scared to death to have anesthesia because it always makes me sick. I've been opened up a couple times already and got sick later. The mere thought of throwing up after being cut open is so scary. It hurt so much. I can't remember for sure, but I think during one of my unrelated surgeries they added something to the anesthesia to help with the nausea. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm having a totaly hysterectomy (abdominal) on June 15th. There are a million other issues, too, but I've posted them elsewhere and am feeling redundant!

I have Multiple Sclerosis and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I'm on several medications which cause stomach upset which I control at home, but I'm worried about during my hospitalization and when I come home. I can't NOT take any of the medications or I'll be in really bad shape. I see my doc on May 30th, and one of my other prescribing docs tomorrow. I'm thinking about seeing what can be done through an injection. I already have daily injections for the MS. Might as well do the pincushion thing if I have to.

Lastly, I don't respond to pain medications well. They make me very depressed. I can't do codeine at all. Has anyone experienced this, and if so, did you find anything that worked. Pain and depression. Can't wait!!!! Thanks for any feedback.

Elizabeth :confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 07:10 PM
makes me sick

Hi Elizabeth!

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with anesthesia in the past. I have a couple of suggestions that you might look into...first would be to explore an epidural in lieu of general anesthesia. Many women have had this with great success, and it would provide the added benefit of pain relief, too. Please discuss this with your surgeon and anesthesiologist well before your surgery and be clear with them WHY you want this.

Many women have had nausea problems from anesthesia. There are several medications that can go right into your IV to combat nausea. Again, make sure you are adamant with your doctors that you MUST address this issue before surgery. There is no reason to have this problem, especially since as you say it's adding tremendously to your anxiety about the surgery. Be your own advocate here, and make sure your needs are met.

Please let us know what you find out!!!

Karen
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:16 PM
makes me sick

Hi, Elizabeth -

You've got a lot on your plate - here's a hug for you!!!

One thing I would suggest is that you call the hospital and ask to speak to one of the anesthesiologists about your concerns. They definitely can put things in with the anesthesia to help wiith nausea. Please talk to them about the possibilites of general vs spinal, and make sure they are aware of your medical conditions.

Also, make sure your doc has something prescribed for the nausea after surgery if you do need it. I did throw up once in the evening after surgery (don't know if it was from the morphine or just the whole thing) and while it wasn't pleasant, it wasn't too awful (I think sneezing is worse!) The next morning, I asked them to put anti-nausea stuff in my iv before they added a bit of morphine, and I had no trouble

And be sure to discuss the pain med issues with your doc - someone else here may have some suggestions about other non-codeine meds you can talk to him about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 08:07 PM
Hello Elizabeth

I have a senitivity to codine and can not take it so I would remind them often about it and they always brought me something that was good. I don't like pain meds cause they make me sleep, depression and I are old friends so I take celexa for that and still got a little case of the anixety attacks, but my DR gave me more estrogen and it went away. I would discuss all these concerns with my DR if I were you and they should know what to do as far as your other meds etc. I had a great DR she told me to bring my meds I take at home and take them in the hospital so I would have to pay 10 dollars for one pill. God Bless and hope all works out by the time your surgery rolls around. One more thing. My DH who has had many many surgeries told me a secret to not getting sick after anesthia. Do not open your eyes. Tell the nurses and DRs that you are awake and that you are keeping your eyes closed because it helps with the I had a tah/bso and I do this each time I go under and I can say that I have not been sick one time and believe me I get sick at a drop of a hat. Try it even if you have something in your iv to help it can't hurt and it has worked for my DH and I each time. He had to have a lot of surgeries and got sick each time so he found that opening your eyes was like being seasick so if you keep them closed you don't notice the swimming. What ever it does it does work.
Unread 04-24-2002, 08:48 PM
makes me sick

Hi Elizabeth,

I had my TAH/BSO on 4/8/2002. I had a couple of prior surgeries and always came out of the anestesia (sp) vomiting. I made them (hospital and anestesiologist) aware of it this time and they were able to do something about it. I woke up in recovery and no vomiting!! So just talk to the hospital when you are admitted and also the anestesiologist and there should be something that can be done.

Good luck!!

Debi
Unread 04-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Me too

Hi Elizabeth

I have the same problem - this will be my 6th surg and I have never yet found the right combination - I wake up throwing up and it usually doesn't stop for a couple of days! I have had bad reactions to some of the anti-nausea meds so some of them are not an option for me. The best thing I have found so far is to talk at length with the Dr and have my DH make sure that the recovery nurses know how I wake up. He also makes sure that they have a couple of cool washcloths ready - those seem to help me when he gently wipes my face while I'm trying to keep control. I find that I need to stay as still as I can and that an ice-pack pressed onto the incision helps with to control the pain when I heave.

My DH has had similar problems, but not to the same level and during the surgery that he had in Jan, they were able to give him something that helped him a lot. I'll check to see if I can find what it was.

My TAH is 5 days before yours - if I find out anything that works I'll try to get a message posted.

Good luck - you'll be in my thoughts and prayers

EL
Unread 04-24-2002, 09:17 PM
makes me sick

Elizabeth,

Hi I am sorry to hear of all your problems. I hope that your health will only improve. I would like to agree with others that there are many different ways to be put to sleep during surgery. I have family and friends who get deathly sick after general and when they told the "A" he used totally different meds ( not just added something for nausea) and had great results. I would like to express there are many ways consider epidurals and spinals if they are a choice and remember there is more than one "A" and they all think different. Some like to stick to the good old faithful general anest. and tend to keep other options quiet. Good Luck. God Bless.
Unread 06-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Questions to ask the 2nd dr- I have MS too !!

Hi! am new to this wonderful site. Surgery is planned but I am VERY hitant- not sure why?? Maybe becuae it is major surgery. Anyway, I need questions to ask the 2nd dr. Thanks sooo much!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register