no symptoms | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-24-2002, 11:54 PM
no symptoms

My OB GYN noticed my uterus was enlarged and had me get an ultrasound done. It shows a 10cm cyst in my uterus! What gets me is that I have no symptoms. No pain, no bleeding, no pressure. Dr. says I have to have a hysterectomy ASAP. How can this be? I feel great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 12:03 AM
no symptoms

Suzanne, if it hadn't been for my hip pain I would have never known to be a wandering housing development for a family of midsize fibroids I have had no "typical" pain nor "typical" symptoms either. Make sure you ask your doctor(s) plenty of questions as to the why and how. It is your right to be informed. I am sure that many sisters here can tell you that fibroids, cysts and other uterine conditions can be completely asymptomatic. Don't panic, just stay informed. Hugs!
Unread 04-25-2002, 12:17 AM
no symptoms

Hi,

I have just asked my gynae the same question. I have a 20cm fibroid in my uterus that fills up the whole of my abdominal cavity, passed my navel and I do not have any symptoms at all, until my GP felt a hard lump during a routine examination. He just smiled and told me that usually, most women do not pay much attention to their body changes and as it happens gradually in the case of fibroid, we sort of adapt to the changes as well. I too will be having my hyster. in July and presently taking Lupron shots to shrink my uterus down before the surgery. Hope this helps. Hongwah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 01:27 AM
Me Too

Hi There....I was also symptom free....found out by accident in a routine physical.

I had asked a plastic surgeon who had done my mini tummy tuck why my lower abdomen stuck out and he said he didn't know why. Looking back, I'm surprised a Dr, who deals primarily with women, didn't know it was an enlarged uterus. But, seeing as I had not been to a gynecologist for 6 years, it was my own fault.

Went to a gyn and discovered with ultrasound I had 3 large fibroids about 5-8cm individually. I had an ab hyst 3 weeks ago and my uterus was huge, absolutely covered (I have a picture for proof as my surgeon took a polaroid and gave it to me.) Being petite as I am, he said it took up 75% of my uterus. Amazing!

Since they say about 30-40% of women have fibroids, I am sure there are thousands of us who are symptom free.
Unread 04-25-2002, 06:28 AM
no symptoms

Thanks for the thread> I too have had little to no symtoms. My family DR. has been keeping up on my fibroids for years. But since I am now 3 yrs. post menopausal we both thought this problem was over. If he had suggested a hyster before I would have jumped at it. But now I was hesitent. I was beginning to notice some crampyness, and back pain after standing or walking for long times. So I wasn't shocked at the diagnosis. My fibroids had doubled in the last year. Now I'm deciding when will be a "good " time to be off from work. My new Gyn told me that sometimes women with the largest fibroids have the fewest symtoms. I certainly had more symtoms a few years ago when mine were smaller.
Best wishes to all.
Unread 04-25-2002, 07:31 AM
no symptoms

Add me to this list of practically symptomless problems. I would never have known about my ovarian cyst, that is now almostly completely taking over my abdomen, if it weren't for suddenly having severe cramps during my period back in October. After the cramps, I'd be perfectly fine for 4 weeks!

to you!

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Second Opinion

Hi Ladies,

I followed this thread through to the end without seeing what I expected - advice to get a second opinion.

In the old days, fibroids and cysts were an immediate reason to schedule a hysterectomy, and some older doctors still follow this path. However, if your fibroid or cyst is causing no problems or symptoms, then there may not be a need for surgery.

My fibroids were diagnosed in 1998. Like others have said, I didn't even know they were there (though I vaguely had a feeling that something wasn't right in my lower abdomen.) I really had no symptoms from them until recently. The things have grown tremendously. My uterus is now the size of a 20 week pregnancy and is putting pressure on my bladder and causing horrendous periods. But I've lived for years without having any problems at all. Estrogen causes fibroids to grow, and if you're anywhere near menopause, you might want to wait, because they usually will shrink once your estrogen levels drop.

Get a second opinion and check out alternative treatments. A hysterectomy is a big decision and should be thought out carefully. Make sure you can make an informed decision.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:46 AM
no symptoms

You're right. My dr even said I could get a second opinion. In my case, tho, I don't think it's necessary because I know what's there, I can feel it, I want it out, and don't want to waste time and money to have another dr say the same thing. If I was at all unsure, believe me, I'd get a second and possibly third opinion. Very good advice, tho. Thanks

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:55 AM
no symptoms

suzannekay,
I too have large fibroids. I was told two years ago at a reg. check up. My Dr told me I could wait and see since I had no symtons. But because of the size he bet I would be back in with in two years for a hyst. With no symtoms I decided wait and see. It has been about two years. I went from a 12 to 14 week size to a 16 to 18 week size. I am going to have a sah on May 24. I have had no symtoms....at least I thought a little bloating and having to go to the bathroom more often and lower pressure on my back at times was all age related. Not so sure now! I am having shots to see if I can shrink it alittle before the sugery otherwise it could be a vertical incision. I took the time and I am ready. I love my dr. He has been my ob since I was 23. I trust him. He let me make choices....just gave me the medical info.. Good luck. I am sure you will do whats right for you
Unread 04-25-2002, 11:24 AM
no symptoms

I agree with Hongwah! I think we adapt or accept our pain or being uncomfortable as a natural process of aging because that's what I THOUGHT! I was what I considered "symptom" free too, just figured my periods were changing because I was two years away from 40 until one fibroid ruptured in November! That was NO FUN I tell you! NOW I NOTICE EVERYTHING and realize it's not right! Sometimes when I try to pee, I have to bite my knuckles or grip the wall it hurts so much - not like a urinary tract infection, like this amazing pressure all over my abdomen. And I'm exhausted most of the time. I don't want to have surgery, wish I didn't have to but it will be better than this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register