Upcoming hysterectomy: Davinci Robot and morcellation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Davinci Robot and morcellation Upcoming hysterectomy: Davinci Robot and morcellation

Unread 12-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Davinci Robot and morcellation

I have a hysterectomy scheduled in January and they are using the robot. I'm concerned with the recent morcellation news. Does anyone know if they automatically use the morcellator in a laparoscopic hysterectomy with the DaVinci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2014, 02:10 AM
Re: Davinci Robot and morcellation

Very few doctors do it and most hospitals will not allow morcellation now. Best is to ask your doctor.

With the robotic it is pulled out through the vagina. If by some chance it is too big, then a small incision about 4 inches can be made to remove. That is what the doctor told me since I had never been pregnant he didn't know if my vagina would stretch. It did so no additional incisions.
Unread 12-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Davinci Robot and morcellation

My hospital just removed them but my doc says in 6months are so they will probably be back. Ask your dr. I'm having the davinci and for awhile I wanted to save my cervix. That can only be done with morcellator if you are getting davinci. So that among other reasons is why I'm not saving cervix. I read if you have abdominal surgery they can save cervix & that can do a tummy tuck too. The recovery externally is harder with abdominal tho. I stuck with the davinci plan. I'm a bleeder and my last abdominal surgery was a rough recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. Ive had the davinici with a myomectomy a few years back. I had my children now I am opting for the hysterectomy because the fibroids are back bigger than ever! They are leaving my ovaries but taking everything else. I dont care what they take I am just mortified of that tool. If they can use the robot without the morcellator Ill be happy as a clam
Unread 12-12-2014, 08:44 AM

I read there are two different morcellators one that slices and one that shreds? Idk may be worth looking up. Just a thought.
Unread 12-12-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange10 View Post
I have a hysterectomy scheduled in January and they are using the robot. I'm concerned with the recent morcellation news. Does anyone know if they automatically use the morcellator in a laparoscopic hysterectomy with the DaVinci.
Hi, I had the same concerns. So, I made sure to get a second opinion other than what my gynecologist offered because every doctor is different and most doctors only offer (rightfully so!) the surgical techniques they are most experienced and best at.

Now, each situation is unique so there is no "right" answer fits all.
For me, my uterine tumors had grown very fast and I also had some other "iffy" symptoms that indicated a possibly "slightly larger" (but still very small!) chance of cancer being found.
The only certain way to know if there are any cancerous cells present is through the final pathology findings - after removal and testing - so with some patients there is a small risk involved of potentially spreading those cells if things are cut up rather than removed intact.

So anyway, to help with my decision and peace of mind, I sought out a second option with a wonderful surgeon that has a great reputation.

It ended up that each doctor gave me two options, depending on whether I wanted to keep my cervix or not.

My gyno's preferred option was a SUPRACERVICAL Laparoscopic procedure in which she would leave the cervix (by basically cutting the uterus off at the bottom) then in order to fit the uterus through the laparoscopic holes, she would be bagging the uterus inside a sack and drawing it up to the belly button opening and then cutting it up manually inside the sack - with the idea of containing any potential spread if any cancerous cells were found.

If for some reason this approach was not achievable during the operation then, I had to sign a consent form ordering her to either resort to power morcellation, accepting the slight risk of potential cancer, or to instead convert my operation to an abdominal incision and remove the uterus intact.

The other surgeon's preferred option (and highest recommendation) was DaVinci TOTAL hysterectomy - he prefers not cutting the uterus at all, keeping it completely intact, and using the DaVinci approach to remove it intact through the vagina (which obviously means not keeping the cervix since it is in fact not separate but is the bottom part of the uterus itself).

He felt this was the safest route to go with the best possible outcome for solving my health problems and the least chance of infection, and the quickest healing, and least chance of spreading any potential cancerous cells, if found (which he emphasized that the chances were still very small and not to worry). He did feel that the sack approach was not sufficient because it would be easy for a puncture to occur in the sack during cutting up, thus allowing spread of cells.

If I really wanted to keep my cervix, he was willing to honor that and he then would do Davinci but with an additional incision down low in the abdominal wall which would be widened only enough as needed to ease the uterus out intact while leaving the cervix.

So, it was a big decision and so I did a lot of thinking, research, reading this wonderful site and all the great information here, talking to friends and family who have had hysterectomy, discussions with my husband and PRAYING.

I decided in my particular case that the Davinci Total procedure was best for me. I have had a great experience so far and am very happy with my choice so far. I am only 2.5 weeks into healing so I will update as I go!
Hope this is helpful!!
Unread 12-12-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Thank you joyfulsoul for explaining! Is there a reason I would want to keep my cervix? I hadnt even thought of that. I thought it all just came out no matter what. What I want is the Davinci with everything delivered vaginally and if that cant be done than an open c or however else they can get it out.
I trust my dr he is just new to me bc unfortunately my beloved dr passed of bone cancer last year. I assume they go over this all at the preop but I didnt want to get that far down and not know.

Im also skipping a whole period for some reason which has my emotions so crazy.
Unread 12-13-2014, 02:10 AM

make sure you make a list of questions to ask at pre-op. It is so easy to forget and write down the answers. If comfortable maybe take someone with you.
Unread 12-13-2014, 05:23 PM

The black box FDA warning was announced the day before my surgery. It came up in my FB feed the night before. I hadnt heard of the process before and nearly had a heart attack. I contacted my surgeon via email at 11:30pm to ask him if he uses it or not. Luckily he was online and responded within a half hour that he does not and that I should go to bed. lol
You should definitely ask your surgeon if s/he uses it. Mine told me that anyone who works with patients with potential cancer wouldn't be using morcellation.
Unread 12-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Hello Sisters,
I am scheduled to have my full hysterectomy on 1/26. I have a huge fibroid tumor -size of a fully developed baby and I have never had a baby before. Same scenario. The first option is hopefully my physcian can get everything out vaginally and if not, he will morcellate. I have done my research on the process and understand the risks. I also know that regardless anything can happen once they get in there so I am staying faithful and prayed up. I researched my doctor, got a second and third opinion, and met him again where I asked 40 questions. In my research of him, I asked not just him but hospital to confirm how many morcellations have he done and outcomes....I am confident and really excited and ready to have it. I am excited to unleash the NEW me. I am keeping everyone in my prayers and ask for yours as well.
Keekoo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register