New here... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-25-2002, 03:23 PM
New here...

I found out today my surgery date is May 13th.
I am having a vaginal hysterectomy due to a prolapsed uterus.
The fact that its just a little more than 2 weeks away has gotten
me very nervous - especially about everything I have read here
about nausea, vomitting, and pain !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 04:23 PM
New here...

Arlinka,
Hello and welcome to hystersisters...the best support group on the web! Everyone is different, but to ease your mind a little...I had a LAVH/BSO last Tuesday (4-17), I had no nausea (ask your surgeon about giving you the med to make you not nauseous...mine was put right into my IV)...the pain? Well, I am not going to lie...it wasnt pain free...right after surgery in the recovery room was the worse, but the nurses were great and gave me something in my IV that helped a lot! I felt mostly cramping, not so much pain. The first day was a little rough, slept most of it away, but cathetor was out before I even knew it was in and by Wednesday morning I had my IV out, ate a breakfast, took vicodin orally, and even took 3 trips outside to enjoy the 85 degree Michigan weather we were getting...my pain on day two was about a 4! I was discharged (per my request) Wednesday at 6pm and home in my own bed! The first two days will be a little rough, I had more gas pains than surgery pains (stock up on GAS X)...by day 3, I felt better, day 4 even better, and by day 5 I felt great! I am 9 days post op now and can honestly say, except for getting a little tired in the afternoon, I cannot even tell I had the surgery, except that I feel better physically and emotionally than I have in years and years! I am on hormones and so far so good! I am still taking it very easy, resting, drinking lots of water, ect... I hope you have the same wonderful recovery that I did...I feel soooo blessed!
Unread 04-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi Arlinka

I wanted to add to what MJM said as I too had no nausea, no vomiting and very little pain. A minute in the recovery room was all. My morphine pump worked really well and I had no other pain while I was in the hospital. I was sore when I got up to walk etc., but nothing that was ever over a 1 or 2 on the pain level for me.
I also agree that for me, the gas pain at home was worse. But then I had alot of work done in that area too. But the gax-X and stool softeners helped tremendously.
You are going to do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 04:39 PM
MJM93

Thanks for your support!
One question I am wondering about though is, have all sisters
had semi-private or private rooms ? Don't know what to do
about this. Also, did your dr tell you prior to surgery about all
the gas ?
Unread 04-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Seeshelley

I hope I do as well as most of the sisters have.
I think I am just getting nervous because I have
heard so much about pain, gas, morphine pumps,
IV's, etc....Its just so overwelling!
Unread 04-25-2002, 04:48 PM
New here...

Arlinka,
It is totally normal for you to be scared! I was terrified, as other than my lap, I had never been through any surgeries...I had a private room...didn't even think of requesting one..but was put on the maternity ward, it was really nice to be in a room alone! As far as the gas, I was warned about that here from the sisters, I don't remember my dr saying much about it, but I went and bought a box of GAS X prior to my surgery, it was suggested here! The nurses asked me EVERY time they came to my room if I past gas yet, so it must be something very normal! The GAS X when I got home worked great (still had the gas pains, but it was better), I also drank some pepermint tea and that seemed to calm my belly! You will be soooo amazed at how well you feel, it may take time, but I am just lucky to be doing so well! Keep posting here and ask ANY question...the sisters here are wonderful!
Unread 04-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Welcome

Hello Arlinka,

I haven't had my TAH yet, but I have had 3 prior surgeries (1 C-Section, 2 D&C's, 2 Laporascopies). In all 3, I had general Anesthetic. The 3rd one, I felt like throwing up after they woke me up, and I felt nausea. But, I told the nurse right away, and she put something in the IV and it was gone in no time!!!

In other words, don't be shy, speak up, loudly if you have to.

Anyway, welcome to the site. Take Care and God Bless!!!

Unread 04-25-2002, 06:42 PM
TILOS

Thanks for the info.
I just hope I remember everything
I have been reading on this very
informative site!
Unread 04-25-2002, 07:06 PM
Greetings Everyone

Do what I do. My castle entry is in July. I have a binder set-up called “HysterSister.obd”. I have it divided up in 5 word documents called:

1) Dr. Questions
2) Misc.
3) Preparation and Notes
4) Questions for HysterSisters
5) Writing – Where I write my notes, then copy and paste them to the website. I do that from on since I have lost so many be directly on the website.

This keeps my organized!
Pinkie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register