Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy 12/26: Worried about post-op pain management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/26: Worried about post-op pain management Upcoming hysterectomy 12/26: Worried about post-op pain management

Unread 12-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/26: Worried about post-op pain management

Two days is my surgery. And the thing I am most anxious about is pain management post surgery. I have had 3 c sections and every single time I have a very hard time getting on top of the pain. The nurses always always try to give me toradol which does not work for me at all. Even when I have said that in the past it gets ignored until I'm sobbing from pain. I'm so scared that they won't listen to me and help me while I am out of it. My husband will be there to advocate but it was always my mom who wasn't afraid to rip into the nurses to get me help. I am scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Re: Worried about pain

Each surgery experience is different. I was pleasantly surprised that my pain from hysterectomy was significantly less than my vertical c-section. The pain medication was on schedule and worked very well for me. You should get an opportunity to speak to your surgeon right before you go into the operating theatre. Take this additional time to express your concerns. Perhaps a plan B pain control plan can be put in place. Otherwise your advocate will be a fabulous resource. Good luck with your journey. You got this sister
Unread 12-24-2014, 05:17 PM

Toradol is an NSAID, sort of like a stronger version of ibuprofen or naproxen. Tell your surgeon and anesthesiologist that in previous experiences with toradol, it hasn't worked for you. Hopefully this will encourage them to give you opioids instead!

Myself, I never had any significant pain with my hysterectomy, just some soreness and twingey-ness. I had abdominal surgery and was in the hospital for three days afterward. The couple of days I was on dilaudid. The third day they disconnected the dilaudid pump first thing in the morning. By midafternoon I still wasn't experiencing any pain, so they sent me home without a narcotics script, telling me to take OTC ibuprofen and acetaminophen as needed. That worked fine for me.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2014, 06:51 PM

I had my surgery yesterday. Came home today. While at the hospital they had me on a morphine pump. It gives you a steady drip, but also allowed you to give yourself a boost when needed. Very nice! Good pain control. Sent me home with two scrips, one for Percocet, one for 600mg ibuprofin. Just talk straight to your doctor. Remember that they work for you. Also get up to walk, soon, and often. Best wishes to you!
Unread 12-24-2014, 08:01 PM

I have had significantly less pain with my davinci than with my csection.

I was supposed to get morphine via IV injection after surgery but it did nothing. I ended up with a Dilaudid pump for about 15 hours and that worked.

After that I was on ibuprofen and Percocet. I stopped the Percocet 5 days post OP.
Unread 12-24-2014, 08:19 PM

KatnissE -

This is MAJOR SURGERY, with removal of an important organ. Pain management should be readily available to you. Maybe they will treat it differently than your c-section.

For me, when I woke up in recovery, they asked me how much pain I was in and gave me meds to match.

Everyone is different regarding pain, which is why they ask. I agree with ((SurprisedInNB)). I think if you tell them in advance that toradol does not work for you, they will try something else right away.

Unread 12-24-2014, 08:22 PM

Thank you all. This is a different hospital and different circumstances. I just have to keep reminding myself and taking deep breaths! Whew! Your support is invaluable!
Unread 12-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 12/26: Worried about post-op pain management

I am right there with you! I have expressed to my family that I'm more scared about the pain! I'm a big baby and it worries me! So hopefully you can have staff that listens and keeps you comfortable!! Don't be scared to be your own advocate to this! This is your body and you know what works and what doesn't! But i too plan on talking to my doc about my pain management! Good luck! (((Hugs))))
Unread 12-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Dilauded is a great pain med and guess what, it does come in oral form incase the oral step-down med they try on you doesn't quite cut the mustard. They sent me home with an Rx for it and it's been my best friend along with my GasX.

Speak up about your pain level. Be upfront with your doc and every nurse that walks through the door on what pain meds do and don't work for you. If you're worried that your DH might flub it up, write it down for him so he can keep it in his pocket for a quick reference. Does he have a smart phone? Text him in advance with those details too so all he has to do is scroll to that message and relay it to the nurses.

Everyone's chemistry is different, and what knocks one person off their butt barely takes the edge off for another.

I was very scared about the pain too. But I was fortunate to have a super team of nurses working on my floor while I was in the hospital.

I wish you the best on your hysterectomy journey!
Hollyboo
Unread 12-26-2014, 10:58 AM

I had SIGNIFICANTLY less pain with my husterectomy than with my c-section. I needed very light pain meds. Motrin covered everything and I'm not that tough!!!! I did have Percocet from the doc that I used on and off for a couple weeks. Not regularly though. It was easier than I thought.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register