partial hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

partial hysterectomy partial hysterectomy

Unread 04-25-2002, 06:36 PM
partial hysterectomy

im a new girl in town also and have lots of ???. im having surgery in june im having my uterus removed and what to know about SEX ive heared that some girls feel shallow and domt feel the same and some say that its evenbetter so im very confused and scared that its not going to be the same and another important very ???? which is better to have a vaganial hyst. or abdominal hyst. will some one please reply please .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 07:26 PM
partial hysterectomy

Hi, Buzz,

Welcome to Hystersisters. You'll find a lot of support and caring here, plus some helpful information.

On the Hystersisters home page, there are pulldown menus for "Ladies-in-waiting," also known as women who are waiting for a hysterectomy. Plus, there are other pulldown menus, where you can read the stories of women who have already had the surgery, information for post-op women, etc. You may want to check out the home page carefully, because there's lots of information there.

As far as sex is concerned, many women have posted here that sex after a hyst is better than ever. If a woman experienced pain or heavy bleeding with sex, those problems may no longer exist, after a hyst. However, we're all different, and some women find that sex isn't as good for them after a hyst. Nobody can guarentee how things will work out for you. For me, sex is different (I miss the uterine contractions with orgasm) but I still enjoy it a lot.

I don't think that one type of hysterectomy is better than another. The important question is: what type hyst would be right for you? Your medical condition, the size of your uterus, and your doctor's area of expertise may determine the answer to that question.

For example, if your uterus is larger than the size of a ten-week pregnancy, a vaginal hysterectomy might not be possible for you. Or, if you have extensive endometriosis, an abdominal hysterectomy allows the surgeon to visualize the endometriosis better, so more can be removed. There are lots of factors to consider, and your doctor is the best person to answer these questions for you, since your doctor knows your medical condition best.

For any woman who's considering a hysterectomy, I'd suggest getting at least two medical opinions, before making a decision.

Again, welcome, and you have a lot of Hystersisters now.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-25-2002, 10:26 PM
partial hysterectomy

Hi Buzz,

I'm new too, and won't have my date until next week, but what Helen wrote makes a lot of sense. I have one large (5cm) fibroid and intense bleeding (haven't gone without a pad in over a month!), so I don't think I can have a TVH, but intend to ask my doctor on Wednesday. This site has so much information and so many caring sisters --- just keep investigating!

Good luck,

Lynda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 01:33 AM
hi

I had a TAH last Friday which is an abdominal hyster. (with incision) My Dr. didn't give me a choice. He said since he was doing surgery due to endomet. that he wanted to do incision to be able to look in and explore (I guess).
He went in not knowing if he would take uterus, ovaries, cervix and all or not. Depended on the shape of my ovaries. He did leave ovaries.
Ask your Doc if you have an option or not? As far as vaginal or incision.

Take Care
runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-26-2002, 04:33 AM
partial hysterectomy

Hi Buzz and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

Please read the pull-down menus, like Helen suggested. There is so much information on this site! www.hystersisters.com This link will take you right there.

I'm 8 weeks post-op and I have not noticed one difference in sex, except I'm not in PAIN and I don't BLEED any longer! Good differences, huh?

I would suggest you ask your doctor some questions as to why you are having the hysterectomy exactly and what kind of surgery he's planning on doing. Either you will end up with a really good explanation or you will have to ask more questions to get the answers you want. If you cannot get the answers that you want, maybe a second opinion from a different doctor is in order.

If you have adenomyosis and scar tissue, like I did, an abdominal hyster is usually, but not always, recommended.

You didn't tell us why you were getting the hyster, so there is a lot of questions I cannot answer for you. I would really suggest reading the site and you can use the search feature as well to find specific answers to your questions.

Sara
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:42 PM
partial hysterectomy

ladies thanks alot for all your advice it does help me understand and cope with this. Im having my uterus removed cause the doc says it somewhat to low and a bit enlarged and have some varicose veins that sre swollen that are causing the pain in my right leg . but dont know which way to go if vag. or abdo. i have 3 kids that keep mme very busy so and a dog so dont know ... but i do really appreciate everyones advice .
Unread 04-27-2002, 02:34 PM
partial hysterectomy

Quote:
about SEX ive heared that some girls feel shallow and domt feel the same and some say that its evenbetter so im very confused and scared that its not going to be the same
I think a lot of it has to do with your mental attitude. If you're sure that it's not going to be the same, or if others tell you that it won't be the same, then it won't be. Or if you get it in your head that a hyst will make you less of a woman then sex may not be the same. But if you keep a positive attitude and know that your hyst is going to have a positive impact on your life then sex will be the same or better.

The type of surgery is really for you and your DR to decide together, what is good for one person may not be for another.

The following is from a site called The Pelvic Floor. It is by a DR and shows pictures from actual surgeries, it is very graphic; I don’t want to offend anyone so I am not including the link.
"It has to be made clear that the smallest or most inconspicuous incision, is NOT always the best. Unfortunately I can't explain here why that is, but trust me, its true. Or better yet, don't trust me at all; ask your own doctor...
It is important to note that NO abdominal muscles are usually cut. The rectus muscles are separated from one another, and spread apart, using the retractor. The bowel is then carefully packed upward and out of the surgical field, using swabs"

You need to trust your DR and his course of treatment in your case. If he recommends a TAH and you think you should have a TVH, etc., get a second, or third, or fourth opinion so that you are completely comfortable with the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register