Ovarian Cysts, Anyone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cysts, Anyone? Ovarian Cysts, Anyone?

Unread 04-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Can I relate?

You betcha donduck! I have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. Can't wait for it to be gone. Even though the doc told me they seldomly become cancerous I can't stand the thought that there is something nasty in there... (and I did some research-- dermoid cysts are yucky, there can be fully formed teeth, hair, and goop in there)

I understand the cancer worry 100% I was up all night worrying after I saw the CT scan and they drew blood to do the CA-125 test. I was stuck in the hospital, and feeling really blecky. But now my mantra is "Don't waste a good panic" I saw this on one of the bords here at HysterSisters, and I think that's really sane advice. I don't always follow it-- but I try!

Hang in there!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Ovarian Cysts, Anyone?

Thanks for your response and mantra! I love that. Did you have surgery yet, or plan to?

Thanks again!

Unread 04-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Me too

Girl, I know how you feel!!! I've got an ovarian cyst/solid mass on my left ovary. It has been very painful and uncomfortable for months on end. My NEW gyn just found out how big and complex it was...going in for surgery on 5/17.I already had a TAH in 99 .They are highly recommending I get both ovaries out this time. I'm going to a gyn oncologist in the event it is cancer
I'm worried sick too...not about the surgery so much as the surgical menopause after . I have a BAD feeling about not being to tolerate hrts. Tylenol is about the only thing I can take as it is!
We are in this together and I wish you the very best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Ovarian Cysts, Anyone?

Braswell, I wish you the very best, too!

I wouldn't worry so much about the HRT. I'm not a proponent of HRT, but I know women who haven't needed it, and there are natural alternatives. I think it is the synthetic and chemical hormones we need to worry about. That's my theory, anyhow, and I'm sticking to it!

Take it easy, and hopefully we're both frantic over nothing! What do you think we'd be worrying about if it wasn't for this?

Unread 04-27-2002, 04:05 AM
Ovarian Cysts, Anyone?

Hi Donduck,

I am planning to have my surgery on the 6th of June. I'm lucky in that they caught this (I was completly asymptomatic, no pain at all). The way I figure it, one cancer scare is enough for me!

So, I'm going to prepare, try and get my fitness back, and get through this with my HysterSisters!

Hang in there!
Chris
Unread 04-27-2002, 06:42 AM
Hi there

Hi Crzy4Dachsies! Just noticed you're in the Triad. Me too. In between the Triangle and the Triad. Orange Co. Nice to meet you neighbor girl!! Boy canI relate to donduck and you too! If you want , feel free to e-mail me.Best wishes Dachsies!
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:02 AM
Hi

Hi Donduck

It's so easy and natural to worry! I had a large solid mass on my left ovary 8 years ago - not a lot of symptoms - but it had to come out since it was solid. At the same time, Dr figured to take out as much endo as he could. So - just before the surg, he tells me, if it is benign, you'll go to the women's center after recovery - if it isn't, you'll go to Oncology. So after surgery while I'm all grogged up and getting wheeled down the hall, I look up and see the Oncology sign going by. I nearly died thinking that it was cancer. The Dr didn't come by for hours, but when he finally did, he said, O yeah, no problems, they just ran out of beds in the other section so we sent you here instead!!!

Try not to worry - I've finally learned that it doesn't help.

EL
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:05 AM
Hi Bonnie

Have you had a CA125 test? A transvaginal Ultrasound? A Cat Scan? These are are screens for ovarian cancer. Not one of them is a fool proof test, but they are very good ones.

You should at least have the CA125 test. If the number from the test comes back elevated you should see a GYN ONCOLOGIST for your surgery and not a regular gyn. If something is suspicous with your cysts a gyn/onc is specially trained to take out any growths and your long term survival rate, if it was cancer is three fold.

I hope that you have had these tests and nothing is up but some pesky benign cysts. But if you haven't. INSIST on having these tests before your surgery.

Take Care - RobinS
Unread 04-27-2002, 06:06 PM
Hello Tarheel!

Hi Braswell,

I'm a NC transplant, originally from Southern Indiana, but I sure like winters in NC much better!!!!

Donduck, I forgot to mention-- I am working with a GYN/Oncologist. They were concerned about Overian/Uterine cancer. It freaks me out a bit, but I feel like I'm in good hands!

Take it easy....
Chris
Unread 04-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Ovarian Cysts, Anyone?

Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

I have had numerous regular and vaginal ultrasounds, a normal CA125, but not a CAT scan. A friend of mine who is a nurse that works in oncology told me that they can usually tell when cancer is there, and they would have done something much quicker if they thought it was there. Another friend told me her sister had 5 CAT scans, the first 4 didn't pick up on a ruptured appendix!

Maybe my worrying keeps my mind off the actual surgery. I don't know. Sometimes, I guess you have to Let Go and Let God.

Thanks again, everyone!

Hyster Sisters are wonderful!

And good luck to all the upcoming week's Princesses!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register