What were peoples average hospital stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What were peoples average hospital stay? What were peoples average hospital stay?

Unread 04-26-2002, 08:47 PM
What were peoples average hospital stay?

I am just wondering how long everybody ended up being in the hospital after a TAH/BSO.....my DR told me to plan on being in for 4 nights, but from what i have been reading people seem to be going home in like 2!! Thats what i'm hoping for!!! Also, are blood transfusions common? I had to have my blood typed and crossed, and he ordered 4 units banked for me. I should have asked why, but didn't. Well anyways....surgery is Monday for me and i have these last few questions going through my mind!! Thanks for any info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 09:10 PM

I had surgery at 1:30 on Monday, April 8, 2002 and was discharged at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, April 10. My doctor had told me to plan on three days and when he talked to dh immediately after surgery, he told dh I would probably be in til that Friday. I did well with moving about on Tuesday and "passing gas" that when my doctor came in on Wednesday, I asked him if I could go home and he let me. Everyone is different though...it just depends on how you are doing after surgery.

Good luck...
Unread 04-26-2002, 09:21 PM

My surgery was at 7:30 am on Tues and I went home after lunch on Friday. I was more than ready! If you had asked me Thursday if I would be ready to leave on Friday, I'd have thought you were crazy! 24 hours made a huge difference!

I, too, had my blood typed for two units of blood. I think it may be done as a precaution. This is major surgery.

Good luck on Monday! You'll do fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 11:05 PM

My surgery was at 1:00 PM on Thursday and I went home about the same time on Sunday. As for the blood work, they type your blod as a precaution so that it is ready if God forbid they need it.

Good luck and Take Care

Cheri
Unread 04-27-2002, 01:07 AM

I had my surgery on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. and went home Friday at around 4:00 p.m. My doctors actually wanted me to stay for a day or two longer, because they knew I would have no help at home, but I was anxious to get back to my own surroundings, and my daughter is autistic and was in a group home for the time I was hospitalized. She was having a hard time worrying about me.

I really wish I had stayed the extra day or so, looking back on it. I felt really good on Friday, but now I know I still had anesthesia in my system. I overdid it when I got home because thought I was doing better than I really was! Oh well, live and learn.

A lot depends on how much you have prepared in advance for your recovery at home, how much help you will have (someone there, not just people checking in on you), and of course what your docs recommend. If the docs say you can go, but they would prefer you stay a little bit longer, it's probably best that you do stay.

As far as blood transfusions, yes they cross-type and match you just in case, but most ladies do not need a transfusion. I was a rare sister in that regard, I was in the hospital twice in the two months before my surgery for transfusions. The second one was the night before surgery, and I actually went into the OR hooked up to a unit of blood. Just try to imagine how happy I am to NOT be bleeding any more!

Unread 04-27-2002, 03:23 AM
2 Nights

I had my surgery on Thursday and was discharged on Saturday afternoon. I was ready to go home, but I had Mom at home to help me. Also my insurance company only approved 2 nights.

Good luck with you surgery and
Unread 04-27-2002, 03:37 AM

Hi Michelle,

I spent five nights in the hospital following my TAH. As you can see, the length of hospital stay definitely varies from one woman to the next!

Best wishes for a good trip to the castle on Monday! I hope you have a relaxing weekend!

s
Unread 04-27-2002, 05:20 AM
Hospital Stay

I had my surgery (TAH) on Thursday morning at 10:30 and went home on Sunday around noon.

I was definitely ready to go home on Sunday as I was eating/drinking normally and I was mobile and all the plumbing was working :-). My doctor told me I could go home on Saturday if I felt ready, but I took one more night in the hospital just to be sure.

As for banking your blood - I feel it's a very good thing. It was suggested for me but there was not enough time to do so prior to my surgery. I was told that it is rare that a transfusion is needed for our type surgery but it's mainly a precaution. If, in the rare case a transfusion is needed, you'd be glad that you banked your blood.

All the best to you for a successful visit to the castle and a speedy recovery!
Unread 04-27-2002, 06:40 AM

I had surgery on a Wednesday and went home Saturday afternoon. I was ready to go home then...was getting bored sitting in that hospital bed and walking the corridors!

I did not need a blood transfusion, and I did not bank any blood prior to surgery (I had thought about it, but the deadline of donating my own blood had passed.)

Best wishes. Soon you will be a rincess:
Unread 04-27-2002, 06:42 AM

Sorry...meant to put in picture of a princess...I'll try again!!

Soon you'll be a

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register