What were peoples average hospital stay? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What were peoples average hospital stay? What were peoples average hospital stay?

Unread 04-27-2002, 06:52 AM
What were peoples average hospital stay?

I had my surgery at 7:30 a.m. on a Tuesday and went home Thursday afternoon around 2 p.m. I was so ready! Even though I was still feeling pretty "punk", it helped so much to be in my own surroundings and in my own bed. I think I would have gone crazy if I would have stayed there any longer. I hated walking the hospital halls.

I hope your hospital stay goes well!!

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 08:39 AM

Hi,

I had my surgery at 9:15 a.m. on a Wednesday and I was released 10 a.m. on Friday morning. Everyone is so different! I sat in a chair, Wednesday night. I was walking and peeing on my own Thursday.

The rules for my release were:

1. Pee on your own
2. Walk on your own
3. Take pills on your own

They told me this before the surgery, so I knew what I had to do to get sprung. I really felt tons better in my own home as I too was bored walking my lap. But it was good getting that plumbing moving! *love that phrase* They also told me to pack for 3 days and nights in the castle. I think they were making sure I knew I may have to be in there longer, just in case. Estimates are hard to do with anything, they always are on the high side so that there is plenty of time. My surgery was going to be 1-3 hours, they told us. It was 3 hours. I guess if I hadn't had so much stuff going on in there when they opened me up, it would have been 1!

Sara
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:47 AM

My surgery TAH/BSO was done on a Thursday at 1;30pm and I came home that Saturday at 10AM. Everyone is right, each person is different. Seems on major concern to be release, "bowel sounds". Never knew how important "passing gas" could be.
Main thing to remember, no matter when you come home, you feel better than you truly are. I really think things are still numb for the first few days. I felt great....till about day 5, then the pressure and aching hit. Not bad pain or anything, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you tire.
Best of luck, keep a great attitude. As for transfusion, wasn't needed in my case, but better safe than sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 10:05 AM

Hi Michele,

As far as the blood tranfusion, because I am anemic my gyn had actually asked me who in my family could donate blood because clearly I was going to need a transfusion. When I mentioned this to the surgeon, he was much less anxious and said that it sometimes happened in surgery that additional blood is needed but it is hardly a certainty. As it turned out I had very little blood loss during surgery (also a TAH/BSO)and didn't need a transfusion despite the anemia. My roommate in the hospital who had a TVH did need additional blood since she lost a lot during her surgery. It took the docs a long time to decide to give it to her (much to the displeasure of the nurses). Once they did she felt much better.

I suspect that your doctor is just being well prepared which is a good thing.

Best wishes on Monday.
Unread 04-27-2002, 10:50 AM

Thanks to all who have repspnded to missy's question, this has been a concern of mine as well. It does seem that everyone is different, but it helps to hear that in the event I am in longer than 2 nights, it is not really uncommon. My surgery is in 15 days and I am starting to worry about everything. I do think the waiting is going to be the hardest part!
Unread 04-27-2002, 01:12 PM

I was in the hospital for 2 nights - surgery on Tuesday released on Thursday. I banked 2 units of blood before surgery in case I needed a transfusion. I lost 2 units during surgery but the surgeon didn't think I needed blood. On Wed. my red blood count was still really low so the surgeon decided that since I'd banked by own blood they might as well give it back to me. So I received my own blood back the day after surgery.
Unread 04-27-2002, 01:30 PM

I spent just two nights in the castle and to be honest, I'd have loved three, but the insurance co! I was ready though, but with two fairly young kids, another night would have been fine, but the advantages are of course, your own surroundings, your own bed or wherever you are most comfortable sleeping, taking your meds. when it's time, not when they eventually get them to you because they are really busy, loved ones with you, etc. Actually, I'm glad I came home after two nights! It was nicer!(and I missed my DH, DD and DS). As for the blood, I stored two pints, one of mine and my sister. Didn't need a drop! Funny because after DD was born, bled so bad I took 2 units(Which I had stored due to problem after DS) and could have taken more, but Doc. said it was enough to get me going safely and then put me on lots of iron. Had a splitting headache day and night for a week from the blood loss(didn't know that could happen). So don't worry too much about the blood loss. I really figured with my history I'd need it, and NOPE! You are going to be just fine! Best wishes to you......Tickles
Unread 04-27-2002, 02:45 PM

I had my surgery at 8:00 on Tuesday and went home at 2:30 on Thursday. They unhooked everything around 5:30 on Thurs AM. By 8:30 I had my walk in, taken a shower by myself and had a "normal" breakfast. I only asked for medication 1 time by the time the Dr. arrived at 1:30. I was urinating and making gas so I jumped at the chance to get out of there. I think you rest better in you own surrondings.
Good Luck
Reema
Unread 04-27-2002, 02:54 PM

count me in as one of those 2 night ladies..surgery on Wednesday morning,7:30 am..home by around 1pm or so Friday.

Would have been home sooner, except the walk to the car for my DH, loaded down by all my pillows, took awhile, as there was construction all around the hospital.

They had wanted me to take a shower and poop before I went, but I had been on a liquid diet for a week before surgery, to avoid all that nasty gas, which it did..I said you'll be waiting an awfully long time for me to poop, I'm leaving.

I do NOT think they were awfully sorry to see me leave...

Cynthia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register