Questions for ladies with fibro | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for ladies with fibro Questions for ladies with fibro

Unread 04-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Questions for ladies with fibro

Hi everyone !! Got a couple of questions for those of you that have fibro. First one is- How did you discover that you had it? And 2nd- What treatment , if any, do you use for it?
I am starting some research on this because my sister mentioned the other nite that she wonders if i have fibro. So we got on the good ol PC & looked it up & sure enough, i've got most of the symptoms. Just my luck.......
I am trying to learn all i can about this before i go to my GP on tues. because i am going to bring this to her attention.
I truly appreciate any info any of you might have ! 's

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 08:29 AM

Susan,
I was dx wth Fibro in Jan of 2001, a year after my hyst. I had been having awful pain in my legs and back thru the whole summer of 2000 and it only seemed to get proggresively worse. I started waking up stiff all over and unable to move, my hands were swelling so tight that I couldnt make a fist or hold onto a pencil. One morning my DD woke me up to write her a check before school for lunch tickets and I couldnt get out of the bed then when she brought me my checkbook I couldnt fill it out I decided enuf was enuf! I hobbled down the stairs, hunched over cause I couldnt stand up straight and made an appt with PCP. He did an exam and referred me to my current Rheumy. She dx me with Fibro, I had all the classic symptoms. I have all 18 of the trigger points along with wide spread muscle pain that had been going on for about 6 months. There is not enuf known about this syndrome, several Drs dont even believe it exists. My symptoms are on the severe end and it has altered my lfe greatly, as if the pelvic pain wasnt enuf I have been on a anti-depressant which is supposed to be the most common treatment and I also use muscle relaxers which do help me some. Physical Therapy is a great benefit to some there is a Deep Myofascial release. The Fascia in our muscles or ligaments is what is supposed to be causing the body aches and stiffness. It is somehow Hormone related and it can be triggered by a Hyst, any surgery or trauma. Lifestyle changes and some exercise are supposed to help as well. I have not found anythng that has greatly improved my symptoms. It is sleep related and when I am not sleeping well things are at their worst. There is tons of info out there on the net some good, some not. Here are some links I've found to be helpful:
aol://5863:126/mB:109490:134437
http://www.mylifepath.com/topic/fibromyalgia/
http://hometown.aol.com/flyerandflyer/wtvault/FIB.htm
http://www.coloradohealthnet.org/for...rums_main.html
http://whttp://fibrohugs.com/forum/n....org/index.htm
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/livin...gia980408.html
http://www.drmcfadden.com/
http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/...news/fm-pt.htm
http://www.cfidsers.org/

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome seems to sometimes go hand in hand with FMS as well
Good Luck Susan and my advice would be to see a Rheumy....please keep us posted
Unread 04-27-2002, 09:07 AM

Thanks Sheri !!
I didnt know you were dealing with the fibro thing too- my heart goes out to you sweetie- Thats terrible how you couldnt get out of bed & then couldnt write out the check !! I have so many of the symptoms- feeling like a mack truck ran me over in the morning, muscle aches & stiffness. Now i'm having MAJOR pain in my right leg which is worse around the knee & thigh. I also have a bit of TMJ my neuro said. There are a few others but i wont list them all.
Thanks a bunch for replying- i do appreciate it !!

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Another Fibro sister here....

Susan...

My pain started around the time after my first lap (for Endo) and while I was on a drug called Lupron. This drug put me into a pseudo menopause. Out of the blue I started having horrible pain in my hips...legs....ankles/feet...arms, neck - pretty much everywhere My GP is not a big believer in the whole Fibro thing, so I did some local research, and found a Dr. who does. He turned out to be a bit of a quack, so my GP then-finally referred me to a good Rheumatologist. I suggest you ask your GP to do the same thing....they are the ones who will do the diagnosis/treatment.

I have been taking different anti-depressants over the past couple of years (currently not) and found some helped. I try to do some exercises here at home, and it does help a little bit. I'm still trying to get into an aquafit program....so I have hope that will be beneficial. My Rheumy has also dx'd me with Chronic Fatigue syndrome As ((((Sheri)))) mentioned, when I don't get my proper rest, the pain gets worse....also when I'm under a lot of stress. There's probably more....but the is saving you from hearing it LOL!

Let us know how you make out at the Dr.'s.....xoxo
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:17 AM

Hey Susan! I was dx'd with Fibro after my hyst. It was a few years after the surgery. At first I thought it was hormones, but they kept checking out okay since I kept one ovary.

I was sent to a Rheumy after my internist discovered my ANA titers were high (3 times now) and I kept complaining of incredible aching all over and fatigue. The Rheumy diagnosed me with Hypermobility Syndrome (too much flexibility causing the joints to move too freely) and Fibromyalgia. He did not repeat the bloodwork as I had just had extensive work done at the internist's office. I have no idea how many trigger points I have as I never asked him as he moved through the exam. I just didn't keep track of it - I think I was just trying to get through the appt. He sent me to PT which was great, but working FT, plus family obligations, etc. just made it impossible to continue. It was stressing me out more than ever. So, I now have exercises I can do at home, but I am too exhausted or hurt too bad to even do them. The fatigue is bad, but my worst pain is now in my upper and lower back and my legs. I seem to feel worse and worse and keep waiting for the day I feel better. I am on nothing for pain as far as RX. Everything they give me makes me sick either with headaches or stomach upset, etc. so I gave up on the drugs. The Anti-D all knock me cold even at 10 mg. and I just cannot function like a zombie anymore. My allergist mentioned something that started with a G and said to talk to my Rheumy about it. It is supposed to rehydrate the muscle tissue and he said it really makes a difference in the Fibro patients he has with his allergy practice. I will have to check this out!

Good luck with your appt. Please let us know how it goes.

Lisa

I forgot to mention my big problem right now - This is really frustrating! I cannot think straight at all, have a great deal of trouble making decisions and then sticking with them when I do. It is driving my family crazy!
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:33 AM

's to all of you...I'm sorry that you are all dealing with this, but I'm glad that you posted this question Susan!

I'm beginning to feel like a hypochondriac, because as I read this and check out the links, I think this may be a possibility for me also. This seems to be a very common diagnosis, and I've read some awful things about docs not taken your probs seriously once you've been DX'd with this. As if ya'll needed another reason for docs to dismiss pelvic pain...*punch*

Hang in there ladies, I admire you all for your incredible strength!

Stacey
Unread 04-29-2002, 08:52 AM

Judy:

I just read your response again and realized that I had forgotten to mention the Lupron monster. I had six injections of this drug (one of which has caused tremendous sciatic nerve pain). This drug didn't help me at all and it caused all sorts of side effects. I had these injections as a last effort to avoid surgery. It is strange how much we all have in common!

's

Lisa
Unread 04-29-2002, 09:13 AM

It is odd ((((((Lisa))))))

I don't know if it was the psuedo menopause or the drug that brought all of these things on. I can say that they are permanent....

My Internal Medicine Doc is trying to hook me up with another dr who researches drug reactions etc. He is the only dr. that admits that I had serious reactions to that drug. I know that some women do really well on it....

Sending you many 'S dear friend....
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:01 PM

Good luck Judy! Since I fired all but 2 of my doctors again, I am back at square one!

I declare that stuff drove me 's. No sleep, aches and pains I had never had, back problems from hitting the nerve, etc. I have heard many bad things about it and I think the effects are permanent too unfortunately since it has been YEARS since I had these injections. I am glad if it helps some dear ladies, but I will never use Lupron again.

I hope you get some answers, sweetie!

's

Lisa
Unread 04-29-2002, 05:58 PM

Thanks ladies for all the 's & the info !! You guys are a great bunch of 's (just kidding about the banana's ! )
Tommorrow is my app. with my GP & i am getting nervous (again). If she doesnt give me the referral to a pain management dr. then i will take my records with me & say goodbye
I have two letters that were sent to her in the last 2 wks. by two different drs. recomending pain management. Worst part is, i didnt even ask them to write the letters !!
Anyway, cross your fingers for me- i go in the morning. Thanks again !!

's

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register