did anyone gain or lose weight? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

did anyone gain or lose weight? did anyone gain or lose weight?

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:17 AM
did anyone gain or loose weight?

helloooooch everyone--- when i went in for my hesteroscopy and d&c i found out how much i really weighed---i was so embarrased- i left there knowing i was going to loose weight---i started dieting april 1st--my surgery for TAH/BSO, cystocele, rectocele and adhesions is scheduled for july 10th-- i do not want to set my self up if i am going to gain some weight in the hospital--i just want to know---then it will be ok. SO, i know this was probally the least of anyones problems--but, did you gain or lose weight? i need to prepare my mind! i do not like surprizes..... thanks for replying---this is kind of bugging me--the unknown. janice72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:23 AM
did anyone gain or lose weight?

I lost a little weight after my hyst. If losing some weight is what you need to do, then any that you lose now should be a help to you for your surgery and recovery. But please don't "crash" diet and set yourself up for getting sick. Just be sure to follow dr's orders after surgery, eat a well balanced diet, drink lots of water, and walk and hopefully any weight you lose won't come back.
Unread 04-27-2002, 07:33 AM

thanks Dawn-- i was just concerned with that IV they put in that it would make you gain a few pounds. i do not expect to lose --- i know i should just say that what ever happens---happens. i will start from there. janice72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:39 AM

Hi,
I'm strugling with weight loss post-op. I'm on ERT and have an appitite out of control at times. (knock on wood ok now) Its a daliy challenge!

For support check out BEST (Better Eaters Support Team) on the drop down file. Great group of girls with modivation and support!

I see your from Flint, I'm orignally from Waterford MI, outside Pontiac. Small world!

Take care,
Pam
Unread 04-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Good Luck

Good Luck to you Janice

I started an exercise and diet program about a month before I found out about my surg. I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, but I've lost inches because of the exercise. I also got some great feedback here that the getting in shape before the surgery is even more important than the diet. They emphasized strong arms and legs to help manuver after the surg with a sore tum tum. I walk/jog a little each day and then I alternate upper body and lower body workouts - I do it 5-6 days a week and in just 5 weeks it has made a huge difference. - 6 inches on my belly, 3 on hips, and 2 on thighs. I have 6 more weeks til my trip to the castle, and while I'm hoping for less weight and smaller size, I really just want to be in really good shape for recovery.

Bless you - and take care.

EL
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:30 PM

I had a TAH on 4/9, kept ovaries, didn't have tubes - due to previous ectopic pregnacies. I went in weighing 185 and came out weighing 178. I took measurments and weighed the morning of the surgery. I lost at least one inch all over - bust, waist, hips, and 2 inches in the large abdominal area. I hope to loose more weight and inches when I am able to exercise again. Weight gain was also a concern of mine. I had noticed that a majority of my friends that had a hysterectomy gained weight.
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:37 PM

I was down about eight pounds after surgery (my uterus was HUGE because of my big ol' fibroid and the adeno). I had a very good appetite and was kind of surprised the first couple of weeks that I didn't gain any back.

Unfortunately all this resting and sitting around is starting to take its toll, and the pounds are creeping back up on me. I wonder if maybe the first couple weeks my body was using a lot of extra energy for healing and was burning the calories, even though I wasn't exercising. I need to lose about 15 pounds or so, and I'm starting to watch how much I eat and doing some walking and gentle exercise such as basic yoga. Hoping to get my exercise level up a little as the days go by, but I don't want to take any chances on having a setback from doing too much.

Good luck to all the other sisters who are trying to shed some poundage.

and s to you all.
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:39 PM
the same

I think I'm about the same, at 6 weeks post-op. Might have lost a little weight the first few days. It's hard to tell what's swelly and what's belly!

You won't gain weight from an IV. You'll pee out all the fluids they put in you. Plus, after major surgery & being hopped up on pain meds, you might not have much appetite. It was a few days before I really wanted to eat much. Didn't feel sick, just didn't feel very hungry.

One thing that helped me pre-op was walking a lot. Burned off some anxiety and kept me from gaining weight from all that nerve-soothing pre-op chocolate....

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-27-2002, 01:19 PM

I lost 10 pounds a couple of weeks after surgery. Then I lost another 5. I don't want to lose more because I really am at my ideal weight now. My bowels took a long time to feel better. Now I eat a great deal, have always exercised 3X a week, and feel pretty good. Walking helped. I have always had IBS and now my stomach gets acidy from time to time. I think it is the principal of my school, not my surgery! LOL
Unread 04-27-2002, 03:04 PM

I GAINED WEIGHT THE DAY OF SURGERY ABOUT 10 POUNDS, MUST HAVE BEEN THE IV'S. MY WEIGHT IS COMING DOWN BUT I WAS FAT TO START WITH. AM FINDING NOW THAT I AM PO 10 DAYS MY HORMONES ARE CRAZY-HUNGREY/STARVING/TIRED....
REMEMBER ONE DAY AT A TIME AND EACH DAY THIS A CHANCE AT A NEW BEGINNING TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register