recovery for vertical incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery for vertical incision recovery for vertical incision

Unread 04-27-2002, 06:57 PM
recovery for vertical incision

I am very excited about my hyst surgery Friday May 3rd, but I'm curious about recovery time for TAH with incision going belly button to pubic line. Does anyone know what the average down time is for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Hi

Good luck to you!!

I haven't had my TAH yet (it's going to be horizontal!), but both my C-Sections and my Left Ovary Removal were belly button to pubic line incisions. They're kind of tough. Getting into a sitting position is really hard and I found it really helpful to have the trapeze bar to pull up with my arms. Each time, it took me at least 2 weeks to stand completely upright on my own - but I know that I'm a big woosie baby too.

Take it really easy on yourself - s

EL
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:22 PM

I had my hysterectomy done as a LAVH. I have had 2 C-sections previously and they wereboth vertical incisions - the recovery is at least 6 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 09:52 PM

Hi Sandy!

I had a Radical TAH/BSO with vertical incision.

The initial recovery time for hysterectomy is typically 6 - 8 weeks, regardless of incision type, since the invasive part is on the inside.

My incision healed very well. I had the staples removed one week after my surgery; they were replaced with steri-strips and they peeled off on their own about a week and a half after that.

Be sure and get from you DR specific instructions on how to care for your incision. Mine told me to wash it with plain soap and water in the shower, dry it thoroughly, and leave it alone ~ let air get to it. My DR did not want me to put anything on it, except maybe antibiotic ointment.

The incision was healed over long before the internal work was even partially healed.

Wishing you the best as you make your journey! Please let us know how things progress for you!

(((((((((HUGS))))))))
Unread 04-28-2002, 03:50 PM

I had a vertical incision - hasn't been a problem. I had a bikini incision with my c section 10 years ago. I agree with Toonces, it's all the internal stuff that requires the recovery time. I am now 5 weeks post op and feel fantastic, I go for my 6 week check on friday and fully expect to be given the all clear to go back to work etc.

I have thoroughly enjoyed myself during the last two weeks. I have been catching up with friends, going to the movies and partaking in some well earned 'retail therapy'. Of course I have been a good rincess: and listening to my body, drinking lots of water and walking.

All the very best with your surgery and recovery,
Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register