Hi I am having a hysterectomy on May 8th... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi I am having a hysterectomy on May 8th... Hi I am having a hysterectomy on May 8th...

Unread 04-28-2002, 07:05 PM
thanks for all the input!

Hello hyster sisters!! I am just in love with this site! You are all so amazing!!! Thank you Donna for telling me that you will be honost... I really want to know the truth! I hope too for all our sake that waiting is the hardest!! You are in my thoughts and prayers for tomarrow that all will go great!!
And a big Hello to Pink!!! We can support each other through all of this. It is nice to know that someone else out there will be going through the exact same thing at the same time. I wont feel so alone. IM also glad to hear that its going good for you Leslie8! Makes me feel better.
I also was wondering ...... does anyone know about how long the actual proceedure takes. I mean how long exactly are we asleep for...? I need to ask my Dr. but forgot and am just wondering. Also...is anyone else out there very sensitive to medications? I seem to always get sick when i take pain meds and am wondering if anyone knows whats a good one to take that wont make me sick. I hate to be in pain but would rather suffer than get sick! I know...its horrible!
Thanks again, and Donna we are thinking of you!!!!
L-Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 07:49 PM
I can relate...

I am scheduled for May 2 and I am also feeling like I discuss it to death. I guess I am just trying to prepare my friends and family for the recovery period. I have been rearranging and cleaning the living room, trying to prepare myself as well.

My husband has quietly listened as I talk about all the preparations, and has gone to the pre-op class with me. So, if he was truly listening will remain to be seen when I come home from the hospital.

I am worrying about the hormone therapy, this hasn't been covered yet and I have a history of getting pretty wild, given the wrong things. I hope it is more standard and won't be a lot of experimentation before it gets to the right dose.

This site has been an awesome resource for answers, I am so grateful it is here and that it is free. I find it very comforting and helpful.
Unread 04-29-2002, 05:57 AM
Hi I am having a hysterectomy on May 8th...

Hi lmichelle!
I'm so glad to hear you sound more positive. Keep it up I know that it hard but it is going to be just fine! I think everyone's will most likely vary, mine personally was 2 hours. I went in surgery at 9:40 and I woke up in recovery around 1:15 and was in my room by 3:30. I had Morphine day of surgery and it was too strong made me nauseated so I got Vicodin the rest of the time and for home too, it took the pain away and I felt OK on it.

Take care! Let us know how you are doing..

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 12:42 PM

Hi Leslie8...thanks for getting back to me on that! I had to take vicodan last month for the pain I was in during my cycle and it made me sick!!! I mean really sick!! So I dont know what IM going to take??? Im also alittle nervouse about all the anistesia(not sure of spelling) ....lately I have been allergic to everything the dr. prescribes, and have had alot of bad reactions to things. Last time i was in the hospital for nausia do to codein...couldnt stop throwing up so they gave me a shot that was sapposed to take the nausia away...well I had convulsions from that....so I am really worried about having problems while im asleep. I know they monitor you and everything but it just scares me. I know that I will be talking their ears off and bring a lits of meds that I know im allergic too on the day of my surgery. I just dont want to be in pain and I dont think that motrin will do the trick. Hopefully there is something out there that is for me!!! Talk with you all later,
LMichele
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:30 PM

Hi Imichele,
When you were in the hospital for nausea and had convulsions do you remember the name of the anti-nausea drug they gave you? I had a very bad reaction to compazine and just about did the same thing (shakes, lock-jaw, muscle spasms and had to be taken to E.R. by rescue) after having severe nausea due to general anesthesia from a lap. With this surgery I had a spinal and epidural in for post op pain relief so I didn't have the usual nausea associated with anesthesia. I stayed awake for the surgery but had the option of sleeping with sedation (not the same as general and the side effects are minimal) The sedation used with a regional is different from the sedation used for general. And with a regional, the level of sedation can be varied (light--just relaxed, medium-groggy, heavy--sleep through it all).

The thing that ended up working for me for the nausea was zofran, a new drug usually given to chemotherapy. I also took vicodin with food to lessen stomach irritation prior to surgery but since I see you are allergic to codiene. You may want to ask your dr. about pain relief after surgery and see if maybe an epidural would be a better route. The epidural/spinal doesn't have the same circulation--effects are limited to nerve-endings in lower portion of body and drug does not cross brain/blood barrier. If you have something like a morophine pain pump your chances of nausea increase and you usually are loopy. I was able to go with just percocet the second day after the epidural came out and then was able to take extra strength tylenol although I saved percocet for bedtime. Good luck to you.
Unread 04-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Hi CM3

Wow...yes those are the same reactions I had! I was given inapsine...probably the same thing as compasine becuase they prescribed that to me to take when I was going home, but had reaction and said nope your not takeing compasine either! It was a very very scary feeling...my neck spasmed and was tilting back and I had no control of this...my jaw locked..toes curled under and shook all over! It was very scary....!!! Thank you for all the insite to the epidural. I am definately going to call Dr. tomorrow and ask if I can do this and tell him my reasoning. I have told him before of my complications to meds and he never really acted like it was a big deal. Sometimes I wonder if they really know how seriouse it is...it scares me to take anything!!
I actually got the flu last week and was throwing up about 8 times but sufferd through it because i was more afraid of having an adverse reaction to the meds again. Now I have this stupid cold and am hopeing it will go away soon becuase I dont want to cancel my surgery date again! All this worrying maybe is lowering my immunity...lol. Well I have already had an epidural once and didnt think it was too bad so I dont see why my dr. would be against it. Thanks for the insite and take care,
L-Michele
Unread 04-29-2002, 03:39 PM

Just wanted to post some links about others that have had spinal during surgery and their experiences. Good luck to you.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41676

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=18353

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=55307
Unread 04-29-2002, 04:03 PM

Welcome to hystersisters! This is the best support I found! I will be 2 weeks post op tomorrow and I do have to say....I have NEVER felt better! I too had never had a major surgery and was very scared and nervous! My DH, I think, was really sick of listening to me every day about this surgery...but, luckily I went to my doc and my hyst was scheduled for 2 weeks later, so I only had two weeks to stress and drive him nuts! The surgery itself was ok, the first two days I had a lot of pain and discomfort (mostly gas pains), but by day 4 and day 5, I felt really good! I am glad I am a quick healer...my son got really sick 5 days post op and was home ALL last week....had to have my mother come 2 days to take him to the doc! I am not sure if you said what surgery you were having, I had a LAVH/BSO and have to keep reminding myself daily that I DID have surgery and to stay down...I feel like I could go back to my normal life already, but no that I would pay for it! Keep reading and posting here...they are great and will answer any question or concern you have! Best of luck!
Unread 04-29-2002, 05:19 PM
My Surgery is May 8th too!

I also have worries and concerns about the surgery, but I know that I will feel much better when it is all over. I am worried about depression and the mood swings most of all.

Lela
Unread 04-29-2002, 08:06 PM

Good luck, I am having my surgery on May 15th. I will have my pre-op appointment on the 8th to find out all of the pertinent information. I am hoping for a vaginal hysterectomy. Both of my sisters have had them, one vaginal the other was a bikini cut. Big difference in their recovery time. Vaginal one had to remind herself that she had had surgery and needed to take it easy!!!

I had a d&c on April 9th and was told I had adnoma cycloplasia, (not sure how to spell it). The doctor was going to treat it for 3 months with high dosage of progesterone and do another d&c then to see if the cells were gone. I have a history of other cancer that is estrogen fed and was nervous when on the Rx pamphlet said not to take this drug if you had history of estrogen fed cancers, so now I am having the hysterectomy.

I just registered with this site and have made lots of notes for my hospital visit. About how long will the hospital stay last??? I wont know until the 8th.

Thanks, and good luck to all of you ladies in waiting!!!!

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register