Handling unpleasant hospital staff | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Handling unpleasant hospital staff Handling unpleasant hospital staff

Unread 04-28-2002, 04:46 AM
Handling unpleasant hospital staff

Any suggestions on dealing with not very nice caretakers? I had one nurse following C-section that was a miserable person. I was pleasantly surprised to have a wonderful experience with the staff following a breast biopsy. How do you stand up for yourself with people who have you care in their hands???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 04:52 AM
One idea

Tracy,

I read on a previous post where some of the ladies take in a bowl of candy and put it on the night stand in their room for the staff. Certainly any staff should understand a patient's pain and how it may seem like we are taking things out on them. But if there's candy to sweeten the situation, maybe they'll give us the benefit of the doubt, and maybe it will put them in a better mood.

I felt I was handled rather roughly by nurses with my first ds's delivery and actually considered a home birth to avoid it with #2. When I realized someone would have to clean up all the mess, I went back to a hosp. birth. Second and third times were perfect--everyone was helpful, sympathetic to pain, friendly.

I intend to have my dh speak for me, so I can still be the 'nice' on who brought candy in and he can stand up for my rights!! LOL.

Nancy
Unread 04-28-2002, 04:57 AM
dealing with staff

Going to get a REALLY BIG box of chocolates for staff! LOL I know my family will speak for me if necessary. Hubby will not waiting during surgery but Mom and Dad will. Hubby hates hospitals and I will do better if I am not worried about him. Also, he can use that time off he would have taken to be with me at home instead. I'm SO glad your experiences got better. I pray my stay goes well. I am a very good patient!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 05:03 AM

That's a great idea. Glad you are going to try that. Or you could just act as your username implies and don't allow mistreatment. hehe

But seriously.. only once have I encountered less than pleasant nurses and staff and it was after I'd been there a week after having my last child (she's 22mo old now). I just simply had a talk with my dr and he set them straight pronto. Well,I know he did it in a nice way- because they never seemed upset about it and one even joked about how he was out there using his charm to get his way with the nurses again. LOL
Unread 04-28-2002, 06:16 AM

I have to say that the chocolates I brought in to the castle, worked wonders. Not only did I have help anytime I needed it, but when I didn't as well! I had some nurses in there, just to chat!

I had hubby bring it in the second day, so I was co-herent. I did have an iffy nurse though. I told all the other nurses that I have chocolate for all the ones that are nice to me. And I told them to help themselves if they thought they had been. She must have gotten word about it, because she was on her best behavior after that!

I also gave a thank-you card to each of my surgeons, my "A" man and the nursing staff as a whole when I left.

Sara
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:39 AM
From a nurses point of view:nurse:

As a nurse, I know that we sometimes get a bit rushed and overworked. Sometimes we can be a little short tempered and impatient. Most nurses don't mean to be, they just forget what it is like to be a patient, or maybe never have, or maybe they are just tired. Just remember you are the patient. You are what they are there for. Without you, they don't have a job. If someone is not treating you like you feel you should be, gently let them know that.

Once, when I was stressed by taking care of a very critical patient (I'm an ER nurse) and having the responsibility for several others, became very impatient with someone. She apologized to me and asked what she had done to upset me. That really took me back!!! I realized it was me and not her that was the problem. I apologized to her and she got EXTRA special care (as time would allow). A gentle, pleasant reminder is usually all it takes.

But in defense of the occasionally short tempered nurses, you also have to realize that she is responsible for other patients also (frequently too many patients with the nursing shortage). Be aware of the amount of time you are asking her to give you and realize that others are also making demands on her time. And the nurse is just there to carry out your Dr. orders. If what you are asking for is not part of the orders that the Dr has written, the nurse is not at liberty to do more. I have had many incidents where patients will ask, no insist that some test be done or medications be given that the Dr has not ordered. It is not generally in the scope of nursing practice to order tests, procedures, or medications. Many patients will take out their frustrations at not having their Drs do exactly as they want on the nurses, since they are the ones carrying out the orders.

But remember, if a nurse is not giving you the courtesy and care you feel is expected and needed, it is well within your rights to absolutely refuse to allow that nurse to be involved in your care. Ask for the charge nurse and insist on another nurse as your primary caregiver. And certainly the idea of candy or goodies to bribe the nurses with is a wonderful suggestion. Frequently I know that I will be too busy to make it to meal breaks and an offer of candy would be great. And as most drug or equipment reps who want to get in to see our Doctors know, the way to get what you want from a nurse is to come bearing food!!

I have had a couple of very nice conversations and a visit to the floor I will be on, set up by the nurse manager of that floor. (I was not happy about the choice of hospitals my Dr gave me, so they were trying to schmooze me) During our conversation this nurse mentioned that the day of my surgery was her birthday. I have arranged for a birthday cake from a wonderful specialty bakery to be delivered to the floor for her and her co-workers to celebrate. I figure that should make a few brownie points for me!!!
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:56 AM
Oh My.....

I remember way back at the birth of my first son...and the labor nurse from hell!!
I went natural and was having extreme back labor and was asking for hot packs....they really helped!!Plus I felt like I had to push!
Well this nurse came in and told me she didn't know what all the fuss was....there was no way that it hurt that much, it was all in my head!!! She checked me 45 mins back and there was no way I was ready to push yet....again...all in my head!GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
I asked her if she had any children....she said no....I said good give me someone that has!!
Never had to deal with her again and the nurse that came in after her checked me and said I was ready to push! (I went from 4 cm to 10 cm in 45 minutes! sheesh!)
Defiantely let someone know when you are unhappy, I felt justified in asking for a new nurse....no one should have to deal with that!!

Janet
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:57 AM
nurses

I really do feel for nurses as I know they get the brunt of the work and not so great pay! The only problems I had with my C-section were that one nurse during pre-op put my cath in and said they burning would go away. It didn't! In fact it turned into more than burning. As I was being moved to the surgery table I mentioned to the other nurse that I was really hurting. She was a pleasantly overweight older lovely lady. She whips the blankets off of me <in front of everyone! LOL...not that I cared!> and gently moved the cath down a bit. It was causing my bladder to compress. She was my angel! I wish the first nurse had listened. She also was very rough shaving me and got upset when I asked hubby to please leave the room while my cath was put in. The only other unpleasant nurse I had was the one who removed my staples. WOW! I said,,,could you be a little less rough please? She said...this DOESN'T hurt and will only take a minute. DR walked in at that point and took over. He didn't hurt me at all!
I promise to be a good patient. LOL
Unread 04-28-2002, 08:21 AM

my problem with the nurses where that they weren't the brightest bulbs on the tree... I mean it... I'd ask a questioin that I KNEW the answer to.... they were like... geee, I don't know.. what was it that someone told me that was????
I had a gas pain....nurse didn't even consider that it could be gas... gas she says... no, not in your upper back..... I had my dh "burp" me and it came up and it the pain was gone...
my only really good nurses were the 11-7 am nurses.. smart, gentle, compassiolnate...
I am filling out the questionaire this week that lets the hosp know how they are doing..
gotta get back to bed...
hugs,
kara
Unread 04-28-2002, 08:44 AM
jdd

I think I had the same nurse during my son's birth almost 17 years ago! She told my husband that I was no longer in labor and sent him out to the waiting room to let relatives know. In the mean time I told her I was ready to push, and she told me it was all in my head. This being my second child, I knew that it was not imagined. Well, she left me in the labor room, and when she came back a few minutes later, my son was almost all the way out! Boy - I have never seen a nurse move so fast! She did tell me later, "Gosh, I will listen to the mother from now on!" The reason for the mistake was that the internal probe had slipped and was no longer measuring contractions. Hopefully on Wednesday I will have wonderful nurses!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register