Handling unpleasant hospital staff - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Handling unpleasant hospital staff Handling unpleasant hospital staff

Unread 04-28-2002, 09:10 AM
Handling unpleasant hospital staff

Judy Anne,
I be thinking about you since you are the day before me!!

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 09:24 AM

I had a bad experience with nurses when I had my first baby. My labor nurse yelled at me when I started crying because the pain got to be too much. Then when they gave me the epidural and I didn't get any relief, the nurse and the anesthesiologist got mad at me and told me it should give me 100% relief. I don't think they believed me that I was still in so much pain! When I asked for the epidural, the nurse so rudely said "well, you'll have to wait, there's 2 women ahead of you!". After giving birth, I had not slept for like 20 hours and finally both my baby and I slept for 5 hours straight. Well, then I got in trouble for going so long without breastfeeding. The nurses at this hospital were so stinkin' crabby! I didn't say anything, because I didn't know any better. I was a young, neieve 24 year old. Now after giving birth at 2 other hospitals and having nothing but great doctors and nurses, I know to speak up if they're not being nice. I'm also going to do the candy thing.
Unread 04-29-2002, 09:39 AM

Glad to see I am not the only one who has had bad nurses.

I was in the hospital this last November for transfusions and I did not want to be there. I was admitted through the ER with a hemo. count of 5. They said that I would be there for a couple of hours and ended up getting stuck there for 2 days.

I had this one male nurse who actually YELLED at me for asking a question. I was so tired and weak that I started to cry. This set him off more. He continued to verbally abuse me until my DH walked in. Hubby is very easy going but former Army Infantry so he is quite intimidating when he needs to be. Before I know it these two were having a verbal battle over my bed. Hubby was telling him to leave and give me a moment and the nurse was calling me stupid and uneducated (I am neither). The nurse finally left when another nurse came in to check on the situation.

As soon as I had calmed down, my DH went to the nurses station and reported the situation and had my nurses changed to a nice team of ladies.

Moral of the story, you have a right to ask for a different nurse if you don't feel that you are being given quality, compassionate care.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 09:44 AM

My hospital has every patient complete a survey after their procedure. If your hospital does not do this, I would send them a home-made survey anyway and express your concerns and praises. They need to hear both positives and negatives.
Unread 04-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Newspaper

Following a bad experience, a letter to your newspaper editor would also help. No one wants bad publicity!!!
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:06 PM

Just another thought... you might help *avoid* cranky nurses by being especially nice to them - smile, say please and thank you, etc. Won't fix 100% of them, but it might help you avoid trouble.

At night, when the nurse came in to check my vitals, I thanked her for checking up on me - and I think it really caught her off guard. She was probably used to people fussing at her for waking them up. But honestly, I appreciated that they were keeping a good eye on me!

If they know that you are generally easy to work with (and not a habitual cranky PITA), they'll probably be nicer about any special requests you have. Even my doctor took it with good humor when I cussed a blue streak as he was taking my staples out.
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Hi Cathi

After my horrendous experience in the emergency room last month, I wrote a letter to the newspaper editor, thinking that it might prevent some other poor soul from going through the nightmare that I did. I was very professional, not rude or crude or anything, didn't mention any names, didn't cuss or degrade anyone, just explained the facts of what occurred and how I felt that the ER needs more nurses or to train the ones they have in basic patient care techniques.

Would you believe it, the letter was never published.

So much for the power of the press.

Lisa

PS I also wrote a letter to the president of the hospital, the director of nursing, and the two regulatory agencies in Tallahassee that oversee hospitals and medical personnel. I did receive a call from a very nice lady at the hospital who asked me a lot of questions about my experience, and I got a letter from one of the agencies. I don't know if changes will be made or if my efforts are all in vain. But I've decided that I will never set foot in that ER again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register