is this as bad as it seems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is this as bad as it seems? is this as bad as it seems?

Unread 04-28-2002, 09:21 AM
is this as bad as it seems?

The day before my tvh, my doc is not letting me eat and I have to drink this stuff called golytly(interesting name) that will not taste good and cause me to spend 2-3 hours in the bathroom-docs words. After that I have to take 3 laxatives. Has anyone else had to do this. How horrible is this going to be? I probably sound like such a baby, but I am really dreading this whole experience. Dh says it might be good and healthy to completely clean your system out once and a while I say let him do it!! Any advice o suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Me too

Courtlyn,

I too am on a clear liquid diet the day before my surgery. I also have to give my self an enema before bed the night before. From what I have read here, some kind of bowel prep is usual the norm. Hope this helps and good luck with everything!

TaraLee TAH 4/30/02 for endo, fibroids and possible adeno
Unread 04-28-2002, 09:42 AM

Courtlyn,

I did have to drink golytly and was on a liquid diet, but this was before a colonoscopy. And, just to prepare you ......the taste was really bad!!! I felt like I drank a liter of soap chips. But you are CLEAN inside. I'm sure this is the end result that your Dr. is looking for. I was really not in the bathroom for 2-3 hours, after fasting for the whole day, there really wasn't much to get rid of. I did read that you could add flavor to the liquid, something like Crystal Light, check with your doc. it may make it more bearable.

Hope this helps,
Patrice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Hi Courtlyn

Yes, most, but not all of us seem to get to go through some type of bowel prep the day before.
I did the go-litely. You can get it flavored. I did the lemon lime. Make sure it is real cold and drink each glass down pretty quickly. In other words don't sip it or it will not be as effective. This is what my nurse said anyway. I was also allowed juice, broth, popsicles. As long as it was clear it was okay.
It is not too bad. Just start kind of early in the day. I didn't get started until almost 4pm and was up til midnight.
Between that and the ice chip diet in the hospital I came home 10 pounds lighter.
Hang in there. It is really going to be okay.
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:09 PM

Hello Courtlyn,

I had to go through this bowel prep 3 times, and no it is not the best tasting liquid. My poor Dr. tried to help me the last time and suggested that I dring Sprite immediately after. I tried that and needless to say, I can't drink Sprite now. I have to go through this bowel prep again, and I noticed your surgery is the same day as mine. Gadget Girl put in a thread and I don't remember which one. But, she tried this, she mixed it with Welch's White Grape Juice with Peach Flavor. She said that she didn't taste that awful soda. Also, it does help when it is cold. I also bought some White Grape Jello and am going to make popsicles with that. I can only eat boullion so much! LOL

In the long run, it is better when your insides are clean just in case something goes wrong with lets say your intestines and if it is not clean, well, you can end up with a colostomy bag. Also, if you drink for example red cool-aid or you drink milk, the day before your surgery the Dr. could misunderstand that as excessive blood, and/or a mass. That way, if it is clean, they can know for sure that they were seeing blood or a mass of some kind.

Take Care and God Bless
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Is this as bad as it seems?

My doctor didn't tell me to prep anything....I getting worried now...Tomorrow I have my surgery I'm having TAH, BSO,
and bladder repair..ouch...I hope I didn't miss the doctor telling me I had to do anything special..He did say not to eat or drink after midnight.
Unread 04-28-2002, 09:16 PM

Courtlyn and others:
Some ladies don't have to do any bowel prep, but many do. It seems to depend on the nature of your problems and your gyn's preferences. Whether it's go-lightly or some other variation, none of the bowel preps are a lot of fun. However, if your surgery will involve any work around your intestines, it will be worth it. I was on the liquid diet the day before, plus bowel prep. My surgeon said it was a good thing because they removed a lot of endo and adhesions from my colon during surgery. Better to be safe than sorry, as they say!

Best of luck to all!

Beth
Unread 04-28-2002, 09:21 PM

My doctor's instructions are nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before my surgery. No bowel prep of any kind. I seem to hear both sides on this. I guess you just have to trust your doctor and that he or she has her preferred way of doing things. Maybe not necessarily the right way or wrong way.
Unread 04-28-2002, 11:01 PM

Yeah, how do you like that name - Golytly - someone has a sick sense of humor. The stuff is nasty. In my opinion that was worse than the surgery. I was grateful that my doctor let me mix it with a little cranberry juice. From the time I started I just sat on the tiolet for about 3 hours. My hubby even brought the small portable TV into the bathroom to keep my mind off what was happening on that porcelin throne. Once I ws emptied out I did feel ok. They do it as a precaution so they don't have any potential problems with bowel material. Hang in there! Life after the hysterectomy is great!
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:02 AM

Well for the life of me, I can't figure out why some ladies have to do bowel prep, and others don't. I can understand if there is going to be some work done on the bowels, i.e., endo removal or something like that. I didn't have to do any of that stuff. Just no food or drink after midnight. My surgeon also suggested I eat dinner early the night before surgery. As it happened, I was already in the hospital anyway because I had to have an emergency transfusion before surgery. But they gave me a regular dinner.

One of the residents told me that my particular surgeon didn't like to have most of his patients do the bowel prep thing because dehydration can make the bowels more fragile. Also when they aren't completely emptied out, they are easier to 'move around', which has to be done with any abdominal surgery. Who knows. Just another one of those things that come up to drive us crazy wondering wondering wondering...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register