is this as bad as it seems? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is this as bad as it seems? is this as bad as it seems?

Unread 04-29-2002, 01:01 PM
is this as bad as it seems?

One of the reasons doing GoLytely is to empty out your bowel so it takes up less room, giving Doc more room to work. I had to do it before a laparoscopy, and I actually requested it before my TAH (doc didn't require it then). I think it helped me avoid some gas pains and constipation.

My doctor's nurse called it Go-Like-H***, which is about right. She also said it tastes like weak seawater, and I think she got that about right too. The "Lytely" part of the name is because it's designed to replace the electrolytes you loose in the cleaning-out process, so you don't get out of whack in that regard. It should not leave you dehydrated.

It does its job really well. Surprisingly, I didn't feel yucky, really - not like having the flu - you just *have to go*. It takes a while to kick in, but trust me, don't go far from the toilet! The second time I did it (for my hyst) it took a couple of hours to start working. I got impatient and tried walking to the barn (about 250'), and almost didn't make it back in time!

My tips for making your GoLytely evening more pleasant:
- For the 24 hours before, eat light, easy to digest foods - smoothies, yogurt, pasta... Don't eat a steak with jalapeno relish 20 minutes before you have to start the stuff.
- I'll second what a couple of other sisters have said - drink it *cold* (chill it ahead of time), and rinse your mouth out afterward with something more pleasant (I used mouthwash). And start a little early if you want to get to bed early. (I think I started at 4, instead of 6 as my doctor had recommended.)
- Use a timer, so you don't have to be watching the clock, and so you get through it without dragging it out...
- Keep yourself warm. I found between chugging icy drinks every 10 minutes, and hanging out in the bathroom, it's easy to get chilly. Maybe put on the heat lamp in the bathroom, or use a small portable heater.
- Some sisters have suggested using moistened towelettes to wipe, or even washing off in the shower, to avoid chafing. I didn't find that was necessary, but this isn't the time to be using cheapo TP - get the softest stuff you can find.
- Don't plan to do anything else that evening. Tell your housemates you will be out of commission. Just you, a good book, the radio, and your little heater.

It sounds horrid, but it's not so bad. And you really will feel *cleaned out* afterward.

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 02:26 PM

I had a bowel prep and was on clear liquids prior to surgery too. My surgeon told me he preferred his patients have a bowel prep...there's a lot of intestine/bowel around where he was working and he explained that there was always a possibility of nicking the bowel...better to have a clean bowel if that happened.
Unread 04-29-2002, 03:51 PM

I did not have to do a bowel prep before my hyst....thank God! I did have to do it last year before my lap and it was not the sitting in the bathroom that was so bad...it was the taste! Made the mistake of not chilling and mixing with grape juice (still cannot stand the sight of grape juice to this day)...but my lap surgeon said it was a precaution incase the bowels were poked...not sure why I didnt have to with my hyst, but it was a different surgeon...I just couldnt eat after midnight! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 04:11 PM

I had to do something like GoLytely for my colonoscopy. My doc told me to pour half of each of the two bottles into a glass, so four glasses. Then fill the glass up the rest of the way with Sprite, and drink it down. It was tolerable that way. Kept me nicely hydrated too.

Good luck -- you're in the homestretch now. It'll all be behind you soon.

Melissa
Unread 04-30-2002, 05:23 AM

I had to do the lovely bowel prep too. Mine was called Colyte - supposed to drink a half to one gallon of the stuff. I had a nice lunch that day and left work early to get started (could only have liquids after 3 p.m. for 7:30 a.m. surgery the next day). I was glad I started the prep early (around 4 p.m.). It seemed to take awhile for it to take affect but once it did --- WHOAA!!! I thought I would be sleeping in the bathroom all night!!! I never felt "sick" or anything, just got tired of constantly running to the bathroom every five minutes. My rear end was SO sore by the time it was done!

As bad as it seemed at the time, I am still glad I did it and was all "cleaned out" for surgery.

Thanks for listening to my my 2 cents.

Susan
Unread 04-30-2002, 01:12 PM

The doctor makes the decision whether to do one or not based upon the reasons you are having the hysterectomy. As one lady has said, if adhesions or endomytriosis is anticipated in the bowel region and cutting will be done close to your intestines, then it is better to be safe than sorry.

In my case, the doctor was concerned that I might have ovarian cancer (I didn't) and wanted to be prepared to take anything in case it had spread. So I had the two-day bowel prep. Golytly was drunk two nights before surgery, then liquid diet, and suppository the night before.

Actually, it's not fun at all, but it's not that bad. I joked with the nurses the morning of my surgery that I suspected the bowel prep was designed to make you think the surgery isn't that bad! But, truth be known, none of it was really that bad. Besides, once they give you your sedative, you will remember little else....
Unread 04-30-2002, 01:21 PM

The hospital's instructions to me as per my doctor was no eating or drinking after midnight. There was no special diet the day before. I did have to have an enema at the hospital and also a betadine douche.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register