Diagnosis questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diagnosis questions Diagnosis questions

Unread 04-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Diagnosis questions

I watched the interview, and read an excerpt from her book at Dateline's website, with much interest. I've had very similar symptoms since September 2001. I have slight swelling, but it comes and goes. I've lost 6lbs over the past 10 mons, but attributed it to a lot of stress. An ultrasound and endo-biopsy done in Feb ruled out endometrial cancer, according to my gyno and my family doctor's physician's assistant. I've been told I'm very healthy, and probably in perimenopause by my p/a. I've had absolutely no bloodwork done. They also think the problem could be torn and twisted ligaments supporting my uterus (because I fell last Sept). The p/a suggested physical therapy, but my insurance won't pay. So, I've been doing exercises on my own. The pain has subsided somewhat, though still is there. The bleeding between periods is one or two days each month. The only thing my pelvic ultrasound showed was "pretty thick" uterin walls. After the endo biopsy came back negative, my gyno said it's probably just normal for my uterus to be so thick. The p/a agreed. Now, that I've read and heard Fran's story, I'm not sure if I should persist with a positive diagnosis, instead of them using the word "might" each time I'm told what is wrong with me. Btw, I'm 44 this July. Any opinions? Yes, I've been around off and on here for a while, if I look familiar. lol
BTW, Fran was finally diagnosed by a D&C. I had an endometrial biopsy. Anyone know if one is better than the other? If I had the endo biop, should I even worry about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Diagnosis questions

Didn't want your questions to get lost.
Unread 04-29-2002, 04:55 AM
CHA

Hi, Annabelle,

What DID your biopsy show? Mine showed complex hyperplasia with atypia, but no sign of cancer. Had D & C with same result. My gyn wanted to do hyst because 25-30 % of those with CHA get endo cancer. I'm 49, so as soon as I heard that, I agreed to a tah, bso.

So I had it done on April 15th. That day he told me the uterus looked so good that they didn't even bother to take the lymph nodes to check them. (They were going to do that if anything looked suspicious.)

So I relaxed. The next day, he told me the pathologist did find something later. Evidently they do frozen sections for final analysis & make a bunch of slides. The path had seen nothing in them until he got to one of the last few slides, where he found a small endo carcinoma in situ.

But my gyn said it had not in the least invaded the uterine wall. So he says I don't need chemo or radiation. I hope he's right. I am going to schedule an appt. with my internist & talk to her. I keep wondering if I need to see someone else just to make sure.

My gyn said he didn't recommend chemo or radiation unless the cancer was about 1/3 invasive into the uterine wall.

I'm glad I didn't wait to see if the odds were with me. This is just what happened to me.

If you don't know what your biopsy results showed, ask. You can also have hyperplasia without the atypia. They can still do other things to try to get rid of that.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Diagnosis questions

The nurse said the results to the biop came back just fine. No hyperplasia. Therefore, the gynocologist decided I didn't need to return. He gave me two months of progestin @10 days each, to 'clean me out.' Although, he didn't really specify what we were cleaning out. I still had the spotting/bleeding once or twice a month between cycles, still had the pelvic and vaginal pain and tearing sensation when bending, lifting, or exercising. The ultra sound had shown the walls of my uterus to be thick (I can't remember off hand, exactly what it was, but I remember it was, as the doc said, pretty thick.) The gyne said the bleeding was probably normal for me, as well as the thick uterus walls, as the ultra sound and indo-biop came back fine. So, I'm back to square one.
Unread 04-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Diagnosis questions

That sounds good, Anna.

Just keep on top of it. I had the same results 4 years ago. Had kinda forgot about it until I started bleeding & didnt stop.

Take care,

Debbie
Unread 04-30-2002, 04:41 AM
Diagnosis questions

Hi Annabell,

Glad you are okay and that they found neither cancer or hyperplasia.

I'd just like to add one slight word of caution here. I had a history of little bits of between-period blood loss similar to yours - from right back in my teens. Then, in 1994, I had a D&C because I had suddenly started losing blood (again just little bits) for the whole of the 2 weeks leading up to my period. I received no follow-up treartment for the hyperplasia, other then the D&C itself and was told that that might cure it. After my D&C everything went back to normal - though I still lost an occasional little bit of blood, I considered that that was normal for me! I only reported it when there was a short period last May when it went on for 3 days (though after that, it went away completely for months!) and that was what eventually lead to my diagnosis of endo cancer. I could quite easily have never gone to the doctor at all!

What I would like to stress to you is that if there is any change at all in the bleeding, or if you get any period-like pain when your period isn't expected, don't be afraid to go back to your doctor again. Don't assume that it is always just normal for you!
Unread 04-30-2002, 10:28 PM
Diagnosis questions

Thanks, Channeal (hope I spelled that correctly). That is exactly what does bother me. I've had a history of missed, or lengthy, extremely painful periods all my life--since 11 yrs old. I had an ultra sound 15 years ago, when I first got married, because of prolonged bleeding. Everything was normal. The following year, I got pregnant. The ob/gyn I had then, died from cancer about 10 years ago. And, I hadn't been to a gyn since then. Nothing really out of the ordinary, though, until last Sept--after a fall. After pain and some bleeding between cycles contined, I saw a gyn in December.
I do have strong cramps, pressure at times--almost like bearing-down pains during labor after exercise or even housework. I've been doing pelvic-strengthing exercises, and the pain has subsided a fair amount. But, I still have constant pain (even though not as strong), and constant cramping--even when I don't have my period, which extend down into the vaginal area--like when I do have my period. I've tried to explain this to the gyn and to the p/a. Both now say it's because I must have torn the muscles and ligaments that support my uterus. The p/a said there weren't any scans or x-rays, that would show this damage. She suggested physical therapy for two months, but my insurance didn't cover it. I looked some exercises up, and have been doing them. As I said, the pain has subsided somewhat, but it is STILL always present--just not as severe. But, that could be, because I haven't increased my usual activity and housework to usual level. This would be the end of the 2-months of pt, if I had taken it. She had said to call her, if there wasn't an improvement, and she might schedule a lap. So, after this period, which is due soon, and for which I'm cramping right now--more than everyday cramping I always experience, I'll call the doctor again.

Thanks, Doggy, for your information. I was concerned, and told both the gyno and the p/a that my mother's mother died in her early 60s of pancreatic cancer, that they suspected began in her female organs, as the cancer was actually all through her. (this was 43 years ago) And, my mom's oldest sister died at the age of 21, 10 mos after giving birth. Some problem with her reproductive organs, but no one really knew what it was. Only that she was extremely ill, in the hospital, and lost a lot of weight. That would be about 70 years ago. Both doctors said it didn't really seem to be a problem for me to worry about, since my biop and ultrasound came back fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register