cath after radical hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cath after radical hyst cath after radical hyst

Unread 04-28-2002, 04:27 PM
cath after radical hyst

I thought I already posted this once, so if it's repeat, I apologize.. Must be H.A.D.D.! ; )

Anyway, the question is... for those of you that had a radical hyst, how long did you have to leave a cath in? My dr told me it's possible I could have to self cath for a month. I'm really hoping I don't have to go home with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 05:48 PM
cath after radical hyst

I think the answer is that it varies greatly from person to person. I had my catheter in for three days. Once it was removed I had no problem whatsoever. My sister's was in for only one day. She had feelings of urgency for about two weeks.
It may also depend upon the amount of repair work done in the area of the bladder and/or ureters.
Hopefully you won't have to be cathing yourself at home.

s karenann
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:51 PM
cath after radical hyst

I had a SP Cath in for 7 days but I don't think this is the same as your dr is talking about. Mine came out through a hole right below my incision and it really wasn't bad at all I just had to empty it every so often and go back after my bladder was working and have it removed. It really was nice not having to struggle to get out of bed to go to the bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 06:20 AM
cath after radical hyst

Sclose00, My cath was only in for the 2 days I was in the hospital. For a few days after I felt that I had a UTI, but it was from the cath making that area tender. Hopefully yours will be out when you go home too.
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:50 AM
cath after radical hyst

I might be a record for the longest catheter wearer! I had mine in for 42 days following my radical hysterectomy. Mine was also the suprapubic kind, which comes out through an incision in the lower abdomen (this isn't the same as self-cathing, which from my understanding is when you insert a catheter several times a day to drain the bladder).

I tell you this NOT to discourage you at all, but just so you know that there is a huge variance in how long it takes the bladder to "wake up" following this surgery which seems to really take a toll on the bladder. From all the posts I have read on this site regarding catheters, it seems that almost no one with a radical hysterectomy goes home without a catheter -- our surgery is much more invasive than most hysterectomies because of the extra tissue that is removed. I didn't know that it could possibly take so long, and I got very discouraged before hooking up with hystersister homebody who went through the same kind of thing.

My doctor told me (this was about 3 weeks into the whole thing)that having the catheter for up to 6 weeks wasn't unheard of, and that more slender women tend to have longer times (less cushioning to protect the bladder). Just know that there is NOTHING you can physically do to make the bladder work again -- the nerves will start sending those messages when they are fully healed, and you can't hurry them along.

Drink good amounts of water, but don't try to "flood" your bladder, because the stress on the bladder actually doens't help at all. If you do come home with the suprapubic catheter, be sure to ask them to give you a leg bag, which you strap to your thigh -- much less hassle than carrying around a plastic bag of pee!

Please let me know if you have other questions and let us know how it is going! Patience is the key.

Joanie
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:53 AM
cath after radical hyst

My Foley catheter was in for seven days and then removed. I had no trouble voiding after, though it was pretty sensitive for a few days. It does sound as though it varies quite a bit from person to person.
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:18 PM
just had radical 4/19

I just had a radical TAH on 4/19.

I had the cath. for 4 days including the day of the surgery. The dr. had them take it out and let me go pee and then 5 1/2 hours later reinsert it to make sure that I was completely emptying my bladder. To tell you the truth, I was scared of the cath. most of all, but I was thankful that I didn't have to get up to pee. Also, when they reinserted it, I was told by a freind that it would hurt, but it didn't seem any worse than a normal gyn exam. The cath didn't hurt at all.

Good luck to you. Best wishes.
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:50 PM
foley

gee my foley was only in until the next morning. Surgery at 1 in the afternoon. The next morning foley out around noon. No problems. Maybe a tad achey.
Good Luck!
SusanL
Unread 04-29-2002, 09:07 PM
cath after radical hyst

Hi,

Mine was the same as Susan's. I had mine out about midday the day following my surgery. I didn't have any trouble while in the hospital, I did get a bladder infection about 12 days post but that cleared up quickly.

Its so true that everyones experience is vastly different as Joanie's. I hope yours turns out well and you won't have to go home with the cath.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 05-06-2002, 04:04 PM
cath after radical hyst

Since I was so concerned here, I thought I'd repost with the results...

Cath was in for 2 days. Then they had to do the residual test. I had to go pee on my own and then they reinserted the cath to see how much was remaining. If it was over 100ml, then they had to teach me how to self cath. It was 120ml, but the nurse could tell how freaked out I was and told me she thought it was close enough and as long as I got up to pee on my own alot I should be ok. I was so grateful! For one thing, I couldn't even bend enough to find where to put it! ; )

Julieb, you were right. For dreading it so bad, when the time finally came to take it out, I didn't want them to. I knew that meant I'd have to get up and down much more often!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register