Haven't been here for awhile but I have some questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Haven't been here for awhile but I have some questions Haven't been here for awhile but I have some questions

Unread 04-28-2002, 06:37 PM
Haven't been here for awhile but I have some questions

Hi all

Last Wed I went in to the hospital to have my one reamining ovary removed due to persistant cysts.

Wed night my oncologist came in and told me that he had done a vaginal biopsy because the last pap I had 2 weeks prior had come back abnormal. He also said that there was a white area in there. Now I was drugged on morphine at the time and it really didn't hit me until after I got home on Sat what he told me and then I had to ask my family if that is really what he said.

I know Robin's story but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen after a few good paps post hyst. I remember the dr showing me on my colposcopy before my hyst the white areas and telling me that this was cancer cells but does anyone know if other abnormal cells appear white too? Does anyone know what crystallization look like?

I know that I am probably overeacting to all this but I try so hard to move on and this thing just keeps rearing its ugly head.

Please any info would be great.

Thanks

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 06:49 PM

Hi Debbie, sorry to hear of your operation but I suppose it is better to have that troublesome ovary out !!!

The white area that you speak of is probably where the oncologist sprayed to show up any abnormal areas. These may be cancer but could also be just an abnormality. The pathology results will show just what it is.

You are not over - reacting , I would do the same. The worry of cancer will be there for quite sometime ~ we have given it a term here on CC ~ 'cancer head ' .

I was told that even after my radiation , there will always be a chance of my cancer coming back because I have HPV, any where in the genital area . It may not come back for 15 years and it may never come back *keeping fingers crossed and thinking positively * . That is why it is so important to have regular checks and to keep the body as healthy as possible and to keep the immune system working 110% !!!!!!

Did your oncologist say when the results would be back ?

Debbie, the waiting for these results is awful , I know but please remember we are always here with you . love to you always x x x
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:48 PM

s Debbie

Sorry, this is not an area where I have much knowledge. I would feel confident with that doc, however. He sounds like he is really on top of everything. I am hoping your biopsy is fine. Let us know.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 04:45 AM

{{{Debbie}}

Sorry to hear you've needed another procedure, and hoping you are recovering from the removal of that ovary!

This is also something I am greatly concerned about, and Robyn's right--cancer head has been making it's way around here. I do know that during a colposcopy my doc sprays the area to be examined with an acetic acid solution (white vinegar). After it sits for a few minutes it will turn any cells that are abnormal white. Those are the areas that are biopsied. I had dysplasia and they turned white, so it doesn't mean that what he saw was cancer. And if the area is precancerous, that's treatable with laser, if it's something your doc feels needs to be treated.

I'm having my first thorough colposcopy since my TAH in July. I'm pretty nervous about it, because I've already had abnormal cells on my vaginal wall--they were removed when I had my TAH.

I wish you well, Debbie. Try to keep yourself distracted while you're waiting on the biopsy results. You know where to find us if you need anything!

Unread 04-29-2002, 08:44 AM

Thanks

I guess I just needed a little reassurance and I knew I could get it here. My cancer showed up on my first bad pap it actually came back stating squamous cell carcinoma so I didn't have to live with the maybe it is maybe its not that most women do. I knew from the beginning this is what we are looking at so I didn't really educate myself on the other possibilities.

Well now I get to play the waiting game.

Again thanks I do feel alot better now

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register