Scheduled TAH Advice for surgery prep and is Brisdelle effective for hot flashes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice for surgery prep and is Brisdelle effective for hot flashes Advice for surgery prep and is Brisdelle effective for hot flashes

Unread 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Advice for surgery prep and is Brisdelle effective for hot flashes

Hi everyone! I am scheduled for TAH/BSO on February 11th. I would love to hear any surgery prep advice you can give. I have adenomyosis so I am looking forward to no longer bleeding and hurting. I am not planning to do HRT, trying to be a tough girl. Would like to know if anyone has used Brisdelle for hot flashes? If so, is it effective and worth it. It will be expensive and I wondered if taking 10mg of Paxil (available in generic=cheaper) would do just as well.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Re: Advice for surgery prep and is Brisdelle effective for hot flashes

First with the antidepressant for hot flashes, it does go into the estrogen receptors in the brain so you definitely have help with hot flashes and anxiety and depression that comes with menopause.
You might want to try something like celexa first since paxil is quite strong and yes the generic would be just as good. They actually say in a study that 10 mg was good but to make a name brand they needed to make it a different strength.
But thats something to talk with your doctor about.
You may want to have vaginal estrogen if you can since that helps with localized symptoms. Or definitely have replens on hand for when you can use it since that will help too with dryness. It does get goopy the next day but better than dryness. But you will need to wait 6 weeks to use it probably but good to have it on hand.
And get a good calcium, magnesium, vitamin d supplement blend to protect your bones.
And later in recovery talk to your doctor about b complex vitamins to help with energy and vitamin e for any hot flashes you might have and helps vaginal tissues.
Definitely have a good grocery shop done before going into surgery to have lots of food for about a week since then you can relax.
Definitely get a load of laundry done too to make sure you have nice clean clothes to come home to.
Have some meals prepared for the freezer and definitely lots of easy stuff to make. Also get easy on the tummy foods such as white breads, crackers, cheerios or corn pops type cereals, bananas. That sort of thing since i found i definitely needed those types of foods.
But also have high fibre stuff such as all bran, oatmeal, beans and benefibre and prune juice just in case your bowels are sluggish. Also get some miralax since that stuff works like a dream.
Trying to think of things but thats a good start.
hope this helped a bit.
Keep posting and it will be over before you know it and you will be on the other side healing up quick.
Take care
Unread 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM

Hi jkeage to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site!

I cannot answer your question regarding Brisdelle. Talk to your doctor about it, and also what the best for you given your medical condition and your situation.

Here is an article on 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. Be sure to click on the related articles on the right side of this one.

The most helpful items during your recovery are
-meals in the freezer that you can just pop in the microwave
-pre-made frozen meals for lunches
-food stuffs for simple breakfasts (e.g., cold cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, etc.)
-preparation of recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-favorite DVDs and light reading material.

Just know we are here for you, and will be by your side throughout this process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeage View Post
Hi everyone! I am scheduled for TAH/BSO on February 11th. I would love to hear any surgery prep advice you can give. I have adenomyosis so I am looking forward to no longer bleeding and hurting. I am not planning to do HRT, trying to be a tough girl. Would like to know if anyone has used Brisdelle for hot flashes? If so, is it effective and worth it. It will be expensive and I wondered if taking 10mg of Paxil (available in generic=cheaper) would do just as well.

Thanks everyone!
That's a good question because technically, Brisdelle *is* paroxetine, packaged as 7.5 mg capsules. In fact, Brisdelle came into being because doctors were already prescribing SSRIs on an off-label basis for treating hot flashes and night sweats. I remember reading about this in a newspaper article at least a decade before Brisdelle came on the market.

I haven't tried Brisdelle myself, but I can tell you that I was already on an SSRI (citalopram) at the time I hit menopause and I breezed right through it. I have to wonder if my SSRI wasn't doing double-duty there and taking care of menopausal symptoms as well as depression.

If you can get 10 mg tablets of paroxetine, I wouldn't think that the extra 2.5 mg is going to make a lot of difference. Check with your doc, and good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register