Large Lovely Diva Issues - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Large Lovely Diva Issues Large Lovely Diva Issues

Unread 05-26-2002, 02:44 AM
losing the kilos

Hi my Doctor wanted me to lose some weight because of problems with my joints, but it has been a boost since my decision to have my TAH. I have less than 4 weeks to get under 100kg. Im working hard dieting and they have put me on a pill called reductil which stop you feeling hungry. I was 112kg in Jan now Im 102.4 today. He said he'd be happy if I was closer to 90kg but Id be happy just to get to what ever I can before the 24 June the day I go to the castle. I know some Doctors can be predjudiced, but they do have you health in their hands. Try to be positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 03:49 AM
Large Ladies

Hi there

I am nearly 5 weeks post-op and am feeling fine. I am around 224 pounds and was told to lose weight but my huge fibroid was so big that they couldn't wait any longer.

I had to be cut vertically to get the thing out as it weighed more than 14 pounds. I am cut even above the navel.

I didn't have any pain at all, never from start up to now. But the operation took much longer than expected as the surgeon need to call in help to remove the huge fibroid and consequently I need blood transfusions. The doctors had thought it could be a little longer than normal. Due to this I was in the High Dependency unit for two days. Then I was taken back to my own room.

Since then I made a wonderful recovery and my wound is healing very well. I was never in any pain and even moving in bed was pain free, with only slight feelings of "dragging".

Even under the fold (over-hang) !!! its all healed up there too.

I wish you all the very best for your surgery and I am sure it will go well. Just focus on "one weeks time" then you can know its all over and all behind you and you only have to concentrate on your recovery.

God's blessings to you.

Love, Ru Be
Unread 05-26-2002, 07:39 AM
Large Lovely Diva Issues

Hi French-

I am also a lovely large woman and I did have a doc tell me that my weight was an issue and that he would do a lap on me but that was all. I proceeded to get a second, third, fourth, and yes fifth opinion until I found a doc that was willing to listen to me and how I felt about the treatments that were offered to me - Lupron was another treatment that I was against for my own personal reasons - this doc agreed with me that a hyst was the right thing to do and I felt very comfortable with him as well he talked to me as long as I needed till I was satisfied with all answers I got and didn't make me feel rushed at all. It was not easy to go from one doc to another and I got extremely discouraged at times but all in all I'm glad that I did. If I would have listened to the first doc about the lap he wouldnt have seen the adenomyosis that was there and I would have been in the same boat I was before that procedure because he was looking for endometriosis which there were no signs of when I had the hysterectomy. Remember - you are the "customer" when it comes to going to a doctor and you should be satisfied with the "service" you recieve!!

Good luck!
Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 07:53 AM
Large Lovely Diva Issues

Hi I know how that goes when they think you are too overweight to have something done.. I had a balloon eblation done because they said I was too young .. I am 27 .. Well I had the ebaltion Jan of 2001 and it didn't help I bleed more now than I did before it and I even hurt more.. I went to another ob/gyn and now I am having TAH/hope to leave ovary .. on June 5th I would get another opion and keep going uintil you get the right answer like the other sisters on here told ya !! Take care and I hope everything works out well for you !!
Unread 05-26-2002, 09:19 AM
weight

I weighed 208 at the time of the surgery. I had just lost 24 pounds. The only comment that my doc made was that he would be doing the bikini cut. He continued to say that in heavier women sometimes they have to do a vertical cut, but I look like I would do wonderful with the bikini. He really is a super doc. And he was right. I got the bikini cut and did wonderfully.
Unread 07-15-2002, 07:44 PM
Large Lovely Diva Issues

I aam so appreciative of all your responses. Surgery is set for 8/2.
Unread 07-16-2002, 04:45 AM
I'm heavy, too.

I'm 44, 5'5 and 220lbs. I've had the balloon ablation and it didn't work. The tissue grew back. I'm due to have an abdominal hysterectomy on 8/6 and, in neither case, was my weight an issue. Of course, I was warned that in ANY surgery, obesity makes it more risky. Hope that helps.
Good luck!
JoAnn
Unread 07-16-2002, 04:54 AM
fat cells make estrogen!!

Just quickly, do you think perhaps its easier for a heavier woman to go thru oophorectomy since the fat cells produce estrogens?
Maybe that's why we heavy gals seem to have an easier time of it than is predicted by the docs???
Unread 11-15-2002, 07:41 AM
Thank you all so much.

Obviously I'm a brand newbie (was referred to HysterSisters from another message board after receiving a dermoid cyst/possible hysto diagnosis yesterday), and to be honest, y'all are making me feel a million times better with the possibilities.

I'd always figured that if something did turn up, I could easily have lap to take care of it. (My mom had LAVH three years ago for endometrial cancer and never had one problem!) Unfortunately, my dear doc very kindly told me yesterday that I wouldn't be a good candidate for LAVH because I've never had children.

That scared me badly, y'all. Not only do I have the lowest pain threshhold known to humankind (I am *such* a wuss, really), I weigh 325 pounds (and losing) and am a type 2 diabetic. I know folk who've had serious post-op healing problems because of their diabetes.

Now, though, thanks to y'all (and some other posters on diabetes-related threads), I feel much less frightened at the prospect of potential non-lap surgery. We're still on a keep-watching-it-very-closely timetable for a few weeks before anything is decided, and that's a good opportunity for me to continue my weight-loss plan, keep my sugars in check, and do more research. And I had no idea the bikini cut might be an option, too! Whee!

Thank y'all again. So much. And bless you all on your journey.

Much love,

Gina
Unread 11-15-2002, 07:45 AM
Large Lovely Diva Issues

Gina:

Welcome !! I too feel so fortunate to have found this board. I have been on a search for the answers to all my concerns and questions as well, and every one that has come up so far I have been able to find others with tons of information and advice. Wishing you to best ~ it will all work out !!

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register