Full Hyster or Albasion?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Full Hyster or Albasion?? Full Hyster or Albasion??

Unread 04-29-2002, 12:21 AM
Full Hyster or Albasion??

I am 41, a smoker, with 4 children. My mother died of ovarian cancer 10 years ago(age of 52). We are in the process of trying to find out if we are genetically predispossed to ovarian cancer. My mother's identical twin just underwent treatment for breast cancer (doing fine) and their younger brother has recovered from colon cancer. We have been told the odds are high so far but are awaiting blood tests. (Told a CA 125 was not that accurate and are awaiting different genetic testing) I have always had excessive bleeding and cramps with my period which is usually twice a month and lasts anywhere from a week to 10 days. This seems normal for me. Have had a battery of tests and everything comes back normal!? There has not been a significant change but I have noticed a few odd things; sometimes my period stops after 5 days and after a 'day off' it starts again.(like turning a tap on and off)(This has been going on for a few years, but lately it has been happening twice within a period) and I have recently noticed a few very tiny clots. Nothing major though.
I have been to a number of doctors but have gotten conflicting information and thought perhaps I would seek your opinion. I had decided that since I am not having any more children, perhaps the best was to have a full hysterectomy. My menstrual cycle does cause problems in my everyday life. I was told of possible post side affects that didn't sound too promising. (Hormone replacement doesn't seem to be an option for me; trouble with estrogen at one point while trying to take the Pill, stroke like symptoms and something called ICP??-not sure if this is right- has to do with liver and nerve endings(itchy) runs in the family) Worried about possible bladder problems.(Don't want to end up wearing Depends the rest of my life)
The first opinion was 'don't fix what's not broke.' I must say she was very thorough. She said I am far from menopause.(I was a late bloomer, puberty - age 16 or 17, uterus didn't drop until 16)She did mention that I produce and release ALOT of eggs. My friend says this confirms what they have called me for years, Furtle Murtle. She suggested the ablasion alternative which sounded good to me. (I forgot to mention a transvaginal ultrasound indicated no problems)
While the second doctor said he would do the ablasion, he felt there was no guarantee. He said the bleeding could hopefully slow down or stop, but that usually cramping is significantly worse after this procedure. Sometimes I get leg cramps and have trouble walking.(I manage with Advil) He advised me to have the full hysterectomy. Quote, "If I was you, given your family history, I would be scared and have everything removed. Ovarian cancer is very ugly." He told me that since my mother had ovarian cancer I could avoid the same if I didn't have the parts! He also told me things can be done for side affects; bladder problems can be fixed. Estrogen in low doses would PROBABLY not be a problem. I am not sure if he has read my history totally yet, so I am a little leery.
One other thing that I have heard was that removing the ovaries does not necessarily mean you won't get ovarian cancer. I was told that the cancer could develop anyway in that area!? As you can see, this has me very confused.
I apologize for the length of this letter, but felt that if I am going to get answers, I needed to give as much information as I deemed necessary. I just hope I have given the right information. I sure hope you can help me, or perhaps steer me in the right direction. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply. I can be reached at the attached email address or at [email protected]
Sincerely, Tracy G
P.S. I also apologize for any format mistakes in this letter or difficulty reading this as I am new to the internet. Thank you again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 03:47 AM

Hi Tracy & welcome to HysterSisters!

Maybe one more dr's opinion wouldn't be a bad idea for you. You may want to do as much research as you can first and make a list of questions to take with you.

I was diagnosed with adenomyosis and had the same symptoms with bleeding as you but the clots began getting bigger & bigger and the bleeding even more unpredictable. The only definitive way to diagnose it is by having a hyst, but sometimes, the dr may pick up on signs of it through MRIs or vaginal ultrasounds. This may be something else you might want to research.

My dr told me that the options other than a hyst probably wouldn't work for me. BCPs cause me horrible migraines, so he said I'd probably have these along with other side effects if I tried hormone therapy. And he said that hormones or an ablation would maybe buy me about 6 months if either even helped at all. Because of this, the dysplasia that started popping up all of a sudden a few years ago, and the fact that I wouldn't be having more children, I decided it was best for me just to go ahead with the hyst and not have to keep running back to the dr.
and eventually end up with a hyst anyway.

Ovarian cancer is scary because it's so silent until it has gotten worse. If I had a family history of it and had to have a hyst, I would have the ovaries removed. But this is a decision only you & your dr can make.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Please let us know.
Unread 04-29-2002, 05:00 AM

Hi Tracy and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I asked my doctor about if I had my ovaries removed could I still get cancer in the lining where they were. And she told me that I can get cancer anywhere. Yes, it's possible. So, I left my ovaries in as there is no cancer in my family at all and my mom went through menopause in her late 50's. My age had a lot to do with that decision!

They thought I had fibroids, all 4 doctors did, turned out to be adeno and adhesions. Get another opinion if you aren't satisfied with the ones so far. You say a number of doctors, is that more than 3? I wasn't comfy with the decision, even though I was in pain, until I had gotten more than one opinion. Which isn't an easy feat in the military! I bled for 3 weeks out of every month and after sex. Sex would trigger the bleeding all over again. I can totally relate to you in that respect.

I do remember hearing something linking cigarette smoking and ovarian cancer. I think if Tilos sees this post, she will jump in as I think she told me! I think smokers have a higher risk. I think.

I hope you will seek out another doctor if that will make your decision easier, but, I wonder if you haven't already made up your mind?

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 08:34 AM

I had the ablasion 3 years ago and did end up having a hysterectomy this February. The ablasion helped for about the first 2 1/2 years then I started back with the heavy, never-ending bleeding. I had a LAVH - uterus & cervix removed - kept both ovaries. I do not have family history of cancer. It would be wise for you to seek one more opinion. I can tell you that my life post-surgery has been great!
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:35 AM

I too also had an ablation. I had the ablation done last July. I also had a lap done also at the time of my whole region. I have endo on my right ovary and tube. I also have an enlarged uterus. My periods like yours are very heavy would last at least 10 days. I would have 14 days without a period. I also started having very big blood clots. I wanted a hysterectomy when I went and saw the doctor. He talked me into the ablation. Because I have endo so bad on my ovary it hurts all the time since the ablation. I have other pain too. During intercourse, at orgasm, pms symptoms are alot worse. I am choosing the hysterectomy. We are planning this for this fall. I can only tell you my experience. I wish you luck with your decision. I know you'll make the right one for yourself.

Melissa
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Smoking - Ovarian Cancer

Hello Tracy2,

I checked out a book from the library, and it is called "Hysterectomy", I am so sorry, I do not remember the authors. Believe it or not, I just took it back to the library before I logged on. But to the point, there was information in that book that said if you smoke you have a high risk of getting Ovarian and Cervical Cancer. Plus, three weeks ago, my neighbors daughter had a biopsy done from her cervix, and her Dr. also indicated that smoking can increase your risk of Ovarian and Cervical Cancer.

I never knew that, I haven't had a cigarrette in about 10 days, and it is difficult, because admittedly, I enjoy it. What has made it more difficult is that the humidity here is making it hard for the patches to stay on my skin.

But when I read that about the smoking, I got paranoid. Ovarian Cancer runs on my father's side of the family. My GYN explained that the chances of me getting it are not quite as high of a risk as if it ran on my mother's side. However, my Dr. did say that it is important that he knew that. Also, I had endometriosis on both my Ovaries in Feb, and my Dr. zapped them with a laser through a Laporascope. Unfortunately, bleeding didn't stop and uterus grew larger since then.

I really do not mean to make you paranoid, and I certainly am not trying to take the place of a Dr. If I knew that smoking caused these other cancers, it would have been a driving force for me to have stopped much, much, sooner.

Anyway, Take Care and God Bless

P.S. I am certainly not trying to impose anything on you, please forgive me if it does. This is a choice that is up to an individual.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register