Bladder spasms still | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder spasms still Bladder spasms still

Unread 04-29-2002, 08:51 AM
Bladder spasms still

Hey All! It's me again, back with the same Braxton Hicks/Bladder spasm question. I posted 2 weeks ago about this braxton hicks feeling and it was suggested that this could be bladder spasms - which the doctor confirmed and gave me some anti-spasm med. My question is, how long will this spasm stuff last? I try walking the culdesacs around my house (10 minutes) and my stomach is spasming away the whole time. I feel I need to hold it still. I have the med which reduces the spasms, but they are still there. I read on this site where some women between 4 and 5 weeks post op are walking a mile or more a day. Could it be that I am not doing enough walking and need to push myself through the spasms untill they go away? My urologist told me before the sx I would be jogging again at 6 weeks. I feel like not only is that an impossibility, but I may never get up to walking 3 miles a day, much less jogging! I realize I had a lot done in there around the bladder and had the suprapubic catheter for 2 weeks. But is this normal? I go back to both the gyn and urologist next week for checks up. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 09:30 AM
Bladder spasms still

I did not have that problem but just wanted to say that this is not the time to push yourself to more activity. Listen to your body, you had more done than some of these sisters, and everyone is different, too.

The main purpose of the walking is to keep your circulation going, get your bowels moving, uplift your spirit, keep from being a total couch potato, etc. IMHO you are doing fine. I had the same worry that I would never be able to get going again, but now I know it will just take time before I am up to speed..

I am at 4 months post op and just starting to go walking almost (30min) as far as I used to every day (45min at a good clip) with my Corgi. Some of these sisters seem like superwomen to me, too, but I am listening to my body and only doing what feels right for ME. I hope you will do that too!

Best wishes. Let us know how it goes.
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Bladder spasms still

Thanks ShirlO for the advice. I have a corgi, too, who is getting fatter and fatter waiting on me to exercise him more. Seriously, he is 15 pounds overwieght and we a trying everything to get him down several pounds. Does your corgi have a weight problem? I will continue to take it slow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 05:53 PM
Bladder spasms...

Betty,
Oh yes, I can relate and feel your discomfort!!!!! I am now approaching my 6 mo. post (surgery Nov.2) and am still having bladder spasms not to alarm you. I had an adhesion of my bladder to my uterus which had to be severed before they removed my uterus. Still have the ovaries and cervix. I went back and forth to my gyno. and she said she suspected bladder spasms and put me on Detrol. I've been on it now about a month, and I think it is helping a little. Still have good and bad days... When I'm running around with the kids (3 & 8) I can tell that it is worse. Kind of feels like a heavy pressure, kind of like my bladder is full even when it isn't. Hard to explain, but it feels like my bladder is never empty or "quiet." I know how frustrating it is Betty. I had the LSH (lap. supracervical hyster) for adenomyosis and intramuscular fibroids in the uterus and thought that this hyster. would be the end of all my pre-discomfort. Well, I'm wondering how long too these spasms will keep up. I've been checked for interstitial cystitis and everything else under the sun so I'll keep on the Detrol and see what happens. Had some fun with Hubby the other day and god did I pay for that for two!!! It is so depressing....Thank god he is patient. What anti-spasm med. did your Dr. put you on? You are still early in your recovery, hang in there. Feel free to email anytime to ask questions or just to vent!!!
[email protected]
Hugs,
Paula
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:12 PM
Bladder spasms still

Hello Paula! Six months!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe you still feel the spasms after so long! I am so sorry for you! But I am glad to hear so I can prepare, just in case, and ask my doctor when the time comes. My gyn put me on HYOSPAZ every 8 hours. It does help some, but not all the way. I have an appointment with my urologist (who did the bladder part of the surgery) in about 11 days and I will see what he says. He may have other suggestions than the gyn did. Do you exercise or walk at all? I walked/jogged 3 times a week before sx and cannot fathom doing that with this intense feeling internally. Do you feel it every day? Do you lift anything you want? Also, did you have bladder repairs as well? If not, what a bummer to come out of sx with new problems! Please take care and let me know how you are!
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:53 PM
bladder discomfort going on 6 mo. post

Betty,
Yes, I had the uterus cut off the bladder resulting in significant scar tissue on the bladder. They think this is what is causing the spasms. When my bladder gets too full (I tend to hold it too long!) it spasms, and I get pain and lots of pressure. Then, after I go it still hurts for awhile. Do you have this sensation? I have the pressure/heaviness feeling almost everyday, and yes it is the pits so long after surgery. This is the main reason I had the hyster. because of the heaviness, pressure feeling I had for so long due to the enlarged uterus from the Adeno. and fibroids. I'm just praying that the Detrol works and they just stop. One woman in my Dr.'s practice had these spasms for a year, then they just went away.

I was going to a health club before the surgery (Curves for Woman which are popping up all over!) when I felt ok. My periods were SO heavy I didn't go too freq. Now, I've been back only a few times, the pressure it seems is the worse when I have my "period" or when I'm ovulating. I'm trying to keep a log of my symptoms and when they peak, because my Dr. said that ovulation can irritate the perinium inside and cause some pressure feelings because the fluid released from ovulation goes now into the abdominal cavity. Since I have my ovaries, the cycle I guess effects the symptoms too. It's all so mind boggling and extremely frustrating... When it gets bad (for whatever reason) I take 800 mg. Motrin. Let me know if your symptoms are similar! What work did you have on your bladder during the hyster? I will be interested to hear what your urologist says too. I will be going back to mine if it continues much longer. I had every test though, I don't know what else they could do. Hang in there...
Paula
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:18 AM
Bladder spasms still

Paula - Did they lift your bladder or move it at all? My bladder was falling out of mu vagina - you could see it down there when I looked. Instead of tacking it vaginally (like many are done now) he did a very strong lift from my abdominal wall. Then that catheter was sewn in. Most all of my pain post op was bladder pain. It was so painful most days I never felt incision pain. I just kinda thought this was due to the hole there placed by the catheter since many women had bladder tacs w/o the catheter and never felt the spasms. I was wondering - have you ever just totally ignored the heavy feeling and worked out anyway (as strnuosly as before sx) to see what happens? I bet the pressure is almost intolerable if you do.
One thing I remeber. Both my doctors told me before sx that this sx is not 100% gauranteed to stop all the problems I was having before sx. Ans I , too, primarilly was having the surgery to relieve the heavy pressure feeling I has, especially around period days. Day 2 each month I could not stand oon my feet at all. Now I wonder if this is one of those things we have to learn to live with. Thanks for all your posts to me!
Unread 04-30-2002, 11:21 AM
bladder stuff

Betty,
Yes, they did move the bladder during surgery but not to tack it up or anything. Just a lot of manipulation to seperate the uterus from the bladder.

I just got back from a shopping day with a friend, and just all the walking around I felt like my insides were falling out. I came home and peed and now I'm having spasms. I feel very distended today too in my abdomen, and my breasts are feeling full. I tend to feel that my cycle has something to do with this. Somedays I have to take the 800 Motrin round the clock, others I forget about it sometimes. I don't know anymore...

Yes, I have worked out strenuously before, a few weeks ago to just try to forget all of this and it wasn't bad. Still think it's cyclic yet I don't know when I ovulate anymore. I am very overwhelmed today with the pain...I just don't think it is anything serious because I was checked out so thoroughly before the surgery. Everything from MS, lupus, interstitial cystitis, bladder cancer, etc... What did your Dr. say your pre-surgery symptoms were from? (the heaviness and pressure feeling)
Wishing you a pain-free day!
Paula
Unread 04-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Bladder spasms still

The heaviness and pressure was from my bladder and rectum and uturus falling out. Someone posted a link yesterday that had very graphic pictures, but very informative and interesting to me, about this stuff. After seeing the pictures it is no wonder I felt such pressure! I will see if I can find the link and let you know.
Unread 04-30-2002, 12:48 PM
Bladder spasms still

Found the link: www.pelvicfloor.com It is from Toonces and it was very interesting!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register