Re: Afraid - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:07 PM
Re: Afraid

Do some research on fibroids and diet. You may be able to get relief from your fibroid problem if you eat the right foods and avoid certain foods. Are you a coffee drinker? Stay away from food with caffeine (coffee, chocolate, soda), for 2 months and see if there is a difference.

Talk to your doctor about the possible alternatives to surgery.

Read books that tell you the "short term" and "long term" consequences of having your organs removed. If you make the decision, make sure it is "YOUR" WELL informed decision!!!

Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 06:56 PM

Didi - I was in your shoes in January when the dr. put a hyst. on the table (so to speak) as an option. I could have lived for many years without it, but the leaking bladder, along with painful sex, etc. was getting really old. Yes, I was the one who decided to go ahead with surgery.

For me, it was a quality of life issue. With all the prayers of my friends (didn't know about hystersisters at the time) I came thru with flying colors and my life has changed for the better.

I won't say that I wasn't scared, but I was accepting of what I really needed to do to get back to who I really should be.

And as far as singing goes, I'm in our church choir and sing with the Sunday School kids each week. I went back after 2 1/2 weeks singing with the kids and felt each breath, but it gets easier each time. As a matter of fact, I think the hrt has increased my upper range.

I pray that you will come to the right decision for you.

s
Unread 04-29-2002, 07:52 PM

Didigirl,

This is your decision to make. We can only tell you our own experiences, but as you have been told, everyone's surgery and recovery is different.

I'm your age and had similar symptoms. It's only been 5 weeks since my TVH, and I am sooooo glad I did it. Like many, I put off dealing with it for years, and it was the severe anemia that did me in. The bladder issue became overwhelming about the time I had already made up my mind. I can't tell you what it's like to realize that SEVERAL HOURS have passed between bathroom visits. Sometimes I still get up at night, but only once, and not even most nights!!! I'm actually considering going on an overnight trip to an amusement park with a group of 7th graders in June. No way would I have even thought such a thing was possible two months ago. I can't believe I lived in misery so long.

I haven't detected even a temporary shut-down of my ovaries. They definitely seem to be functioning normally now. Yeah, sure they may shut down in the next 5 years, but my mom went through menopause at 46, so realistically that could have happened anyway. There's no way to know. My sister is 48 and not showing signs of menopause yet, and I knew I didn't want to go another 5-10 years with the symptoms I had.

So get as many opinions as you need, and keep researching, but don't forget that it all boils down to quality of life. You don't want to have a hysterectomy unless you truly believe it will improve your life. If you find an alternative that will improve your symptoms, or even bring them to a level you can live with, then certainly you should consider it.

Good luck, and I'll keep you in my prayers!

Margaret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 08:34 AM
Re: Afraid & Thank you

Thank you for all your responses. It really helps to know I'm not alone. I have to take all of what I've learned in and process it and pray. All of this decision making and processing gets me so confused to the point that I don't feel like dealing with it anymore. But then how I feel physically reminds me that I must deal with it. Your posts have helped me to know that having a hysterectomy need not be so dire. It's hard for me to have an optimistic attitude about this right now - I guess because I've dreaded it for years. I know God will help me - whatever the answer is. But keep posting. This site and you kind women have helped to lift me just knowing that you are there and reading your stories.

Thank you,

Didigirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register