time off from work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

time off from work time off from work

Unread 04-29-2002, 10:29 AM
time off from work

I have been working with my doctor for weeks now because of the heavy and irregular bleeding that I'm having. He's put me on Agestyn with no positive results. I'm still bleeding and cramping. He's told me that I would be out of work for about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks if I have a total abdominal hyst. Everything I've read says 6 -8 weeks. I realized that recovery depends on the individual, but is his "out of work" time realistic. I can't afford to be out of work 6-8 weeks. Has anyone been back to work before then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 10:47 AM
Hi

I was sorta back on my feet at 4 weeks. It was hard though. Everyone is different but I think you are doing yourself and injustice to try and go before 4 to 6 weeks. Take care!
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Hi Deb

I don't know what kind of work you do. But only being out of work 3-4 weeks does not seem realistic to me. I could not have sat at a desk a full day at that point. Both the physical and the mental fatigue are still alot to deal with at that time. I don't think I could have concentrated on anything for very long as well. Also emotionally we are up and down during that time too. It really is a healing time on all levels and 6-8 weeks is not unrealistic for a recovery time.
We are all different and there are a few women who went back to work part time at that point and did okay. But they were definitely more fatigued than normal.
Do you have any type of disability insurance, private or state that you could draw on to help you through financially? Please check out your options and discuss your situation with your HR department at work. Hopefully they will co-operate with any coverage you might have and a flexible work schedule for when you return.
Let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 12:01 PM
time off from work

Deb;

I had a TAH on 02/28/02 and, like you, couldn't afford 6-8 weeks off. I really "worked hard" at recovering - rested, rested, rested for the first 3 weeks - I wanted to get as much rest and recovery in as I could. I went back to work at 3.5 weeks on half days. I worked half days for 3 full weeks, then went back full time. It was VERY hard. I am lucky to have an employer who could be flexible and work with me - I didn't have to go back until I was ready, and I set the pace. They also cut me a deal where I can make up some of the time, so I'm not without pay for all of that time. I also work in an office, so there is no heavy lifting or strenuous work involved. I also didn't have to make any million dollar decisions either, because, yes, your concentration may be off for a while yet.

I really went back too early, and if I could have done it differently, I would have. I would check with work to see how flexible they can be. Maybe if it works out that you DO have to go back early, you can do it on a reduced schedule and make up some time later, when you're more up to it. It was very hard, and I was exhausted - I may have extended my overall recovery time by going back too early, but I don't feel (and neither does my Doc) that I did any damage, or I wouldn't have done it.

Other than working, I'm not doing anything early that I shouldn't - no lifting, no straining, no vacuuming, no heavy yard work. I went sailing the other day - we finally got the boat in the water for the season - that was fun! But no yanking on the lines or heeling over for me.

Best Wishes.

Debbie
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:22 PM
time off work

Thanks so much for all of your input. It really helped me see my options. I will talk to the HR Dept. My boss already said they would work with me on half days and making up the time I'm out. They are being just wonderful. This makes me feel so much better about going through this.
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:23 PM
time off from work

You are right when you say everyone is different. I had a TAH/BSO and I was off work for 4 weeks. I am an Administrative Assistant at a University. I honestly felt great and had no problems returning to work. But you need to listen to your doctor and your body. Please don't return to work too early.

Kim
Unread 04-29-2002, 12:33 PM
kim - time off work

Thanks Kim. You really felt good after only 4 weeks? My doctor seems to think that this is a good estimate of time off. I too am an Administrative Assistant. And my boss has already told me not to worry about coming back too soon. She will work with me on half days and making time up. This sure does make me feel better about this whole thing.

thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

d
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:07 PM
possible option

Girls,

I am also an office manager/secretary. My HR guy says that if the doctor writes a note giving permission, I can work from home a few hours a day as soon as I feel up to it. I have a couple of monthly reports that have a deadline and really don't want to miss it.

I figure I can put in a couple of hours a day, even if it's only 15 minutes at a time, after a couple weeks of resting. It works out great for me, since much of my work is done via e-mail anyway. I configured my e-mail at home to receive work e-mail, will carry files home on a zip disc, and send my dh with anything that needs to go hard copy. Luckily I live less than two miles from work.

Nancy
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:26 PM
Started out 6 weeks now dr says maybe 8

Just got home yesterday. Dr said he may keep me out of work for 8 weeks instead of 6 originally discussed. He stated I was a mess and he had alot more work to do in making things better. The very least I will be out is 6 weeks. Will update when able to..need to rest now.
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Deb & Kim

I'm an Administrative Assistant too!

I think that if they see that you're trying to help them out and be flexible, and you're not just saying "Dr says 6-8 weeks, and that's what I'm taking" (money aside) they are probably going to be more willing to work with you. The more open you are to discussing the alternatives to them not having you for 6-8 weeks, the more open I think they are to helping you out.

The girls are right though - ultimately, listen to your own body and your doctor. At first I planned one week of half days, then back to full time - after one day of full time, I talked to my boss, and told him it was just TOO much - he said "back on half days then, if you think you can handle them OK." They were very nice about it.

Good luck.

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register