TAH-BSO May 23 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH-BSO May 23 TAH-BSO May 23

Unread 04-29-2002, 03:23 PM
TAH-BSO May 23

Well ladies,
Finally got my date today. What a relief. Now I can begin to plan things! I have to have two bladder test both involving catheters. <UGH> Anyone have to do this pre-op for baldder repair?
Thanks for all the great info and support. I really feel less panicky whenever I come here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Congrats

I have seen your posts and I know you have been waiting for the date... I am glad you finally got it. I remember waiting and how frustrating it was... I have over 2 weeks to go and that is already too long for me!!
Unread 04-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Hey Tracv!!

Congrats on finally getting a surgery date. I know how anxious waiting can be.

I'm also going to the castle on May 23. What time is your surgery scheduled? Mine is at 10:30 a.m., but I have to be at the castle at 8:30 a.m. My pre-op is on May 20.

I've read in a couple of post where ladies sharing the same date have a hysterbuddy (or whatever.) Since we're both scheduled for the same day, maybe we could be Hysterbuddies. The other ladies scheduled for our date rarely post here. I'd like to have a connection with someone who can share the wait (still 23 days if you don't count the actual day itself - which I don't) and who I know will be sharing the same experience at the same time. We could watch out for each other and keep each other sane. Will you be my hysterbuddy?

s to you,

Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 07:35 PM
TAH-BSO May 23

Tracy;

I had some tests done that I think you're talking about. They were grouped under the name "urodynamics" I believe. I'd gotten myself all worked up and worried about them, but they were really no big deal.

I was asked to drink a certain amount (the measured) of water, then I was catheterized. They hooked some sort of machine up and measured pressures, I think, and asked me to bear down and cough, to see if/how much leaked.

Sorry for the vague details - it was last fall, and with everything else going on, I don't remember it all that clearly. I do remember that it was over in something like 30 minutes, and I'd taken a half day from work thinking it was going to be a bigger deal - then I had the whole afternoon to myself! It was a breeze. If this is what you're having, relax - you'll be fine.

Best wishes.

Debbie
Unread 04-30-2002, 06:29 AM
Hyster buddies!

Lisa,
I would be thrilled to be your buddy. My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 AM on 5/23. I have to be there at 5:30 AM and live 45 minutes away. It will e a very early morning for all of us here! I am anxious to have it over with but I know I am fortunate in that I did not have to wait 2-3 months. 3 weeks or so is just enough time to get things organized. Will you have any help at home? I have my Mom and my 13 yr old daughter. Hubby will still be working and here to help in the evenings. I am having surgery through old C-section scar. I know what to expect as far as the incision goes, but not sure about internal pain. I hear it is different than a C sect would be. I have a very compassionate, caring DR. I also have very strong famliy history of reproductive cancers so taking the ovaries was an easy decision for me. I wish my current period would hurry up and end already!!! It will be my LAST one! HOORAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!
let me know how you are doing as the time draws near. You are in my thoughts and prayers! The only ting that worries me is the pain meds as I am sensitive!
Unread 04-30-2002, 06:56 AM
Hey Histerbuddy!!!!!

We must really be histersisters under the skin. I too am having my very last period, and while this one hasn't been anything like the previous ones, it just keeps dragging on...9 days and counting. Everytime I go to the tampon box, I keep thinking that it will be the last one, but NO. I told my 20-year-old daughter that she could have all of the feminine products I have left, but at this rate, there won't BE any left! (Technically, I'm supposed to have one more period starting two days prior to surgery, but since I'm taking Provera to regulate them, I'm going to try to cheat a little and see if I can delay it by starting the Provera cycle a couple of days later.)

My daughter is planning on staying with me for awhile after my surgery. And my best friend, who is moving to Miami this weekend, will be coming back up to stay for Memorial Day weekend. I'm hoping to be out of the hospital on that Saturday so he can pick me up and bring me home. (My Mom's disabled, so not really up to caring for me. But she'll be nearby for moral support.)

I've never had major surgery before so this is really scary for me. My emotions have been running the gambit, especially with everything else that's going on in my life right now. My family are all walking on eggshells around me, poor things. I told them just to bring me chocolate, and lot's of it. (I'm a choco-holic.)

I think it will help having a hysterbuddy. Just knowing that there's someone else going through it too on the same day makes it not quite so scary!

Thanks and if you need anything, let me know. I can't do a lot, but I can pray!

s to you!

Lisa

Unread 04-30-2002, 09:40 AM
I'm glad you're here

I am so happy to hear you will have some help following your surgery. I know you are scared but try to focus on the positive in that you will have no more bleeding, no more pain. Pre-surgery stuff: For my C-section, they shaved about an inch below my pelvic bone and my tummy. Then I had a catheter put in. That burns a bit but the feeling goes away quickly. You don't even know it's there! You will already have an IV started. They will wheel you into the operating room. It looks a bit scary in there but all the equipment has a purpose. They ask you to scooch over onto the table. It is FREEZING cold in that room. They strap both your arms out to your sides. One for the IV, one to monitor vitals. They put warmed blankets on me when I said I was cold. Then the "A" comes and puts a mask on your face....count backwards. During all of the prep people are constantly talking to you, which helps.
You wake up in recovery feeling as though you just went to sleep. When I woke up with my C-sect, a woman was pressing on my uterus <I decided not to nurse so they have to make you uterus start shrinking> and THAT HURT! The incision pain burned but the woman pushing on my tummy was what caused me pain. Hubby came in with baby. I tried so hard to stay awake to unwrap the baby blankets but must have fallen asleep. Next thing I remember is waking up in my room. No idea how I got to my bed. Hubby was there once again with baby. The pain was not overly difficult to deal with while resting. I was on a morphine drip which I did not like. However, when you go to stand the first few times, it does hurt. But not a shrieking hurt. More like a "lamaze breathing" hurt. I did Lamaze alot while standing!!! LOL...Keeps you from holding your breath and gritting your teeth! IV was removed the next morning. THANK GOODNESS, And catheter removed. Had no problem peeing or with gas pains.. Could not wait to shower! Had solid food. The day before I had broth and jello. You really are in quite a sleepy haze following a general! I just slept alot. I had my surgery on a Tuesday morning, and went home Friday morning. Car ride was tough. So was getting in and out of car! Recovery went well. I would ask for them to put a tummy binder on you when your surgery is done. WHAT a lifesaver!!! I have talked to women that did not have one and they had much more difficulty moving around. The binder keeps your belly from hanging over your incision too much. Also keeps you from "bouncing". Not sure how else to put it. You have to breath into that ping pong thing alot to clear your lungs. Coughing, sneezing and laughing hurt. The most painful thing about the whole procedure was the burning feeling in the incision. My staples were removed before I left the hospital by a not very nice nurse! This may make you feel better....once I was home I only took one percoset a day and that was late afternoon when the burning got to be a bit much. <I have since found out that I am allergic to percoset!> The pain is uncomfortable, not unbearable. You will do fine. Let go and let God as my momma always says. She had open heart surgery two years ago. This will be easy for me compared to what she went through. Are you having bladder repair as well?
Hang in there honey! From all I have read here, it's worth it!
Unread 04-30-2002, 10:01 AM
Hey Tracy,

Thanks for all of the wonderful information. I think the hardest part of the waiting, for me anyway, is the not knowing what to expect. This site has been a blessing, I learn something new here each day!

I don't think I will be having bladder repair. My doctor hasn't mentioned it, but then I really haven't seen him since March when he did my endometrial biopsy. (The decision for the hysterectomy was made after I was admitted to the hospital for anemia from the heavy bleeding. The ER doc, my admitting doc, and the cardiologist all suggested the surgery, so I just called my GYN when I got out of the hospital and he agreed and set me up for a date. I won't see him until I go for my pre-op May 20.)

I'm pretty strong, and I usually heal pretty quickly. I've always been very healthy until this year, even with the 50 extra pounds I'm hauling around. I'm taking my vitamins and walking every day and trying to eat healthy, so hopefully, I'm going into this surgery in good shape and will recover quickly. (I had two of my three kids at home and went shopping in the evening after giving birth that morning to one of them. Of course, I was 20 years younger then too!)

Thanks again, HysterBuddy. You're a blessing!!!

Lisa

Unread 04-30-2002, 10:20 AM
LOL

Lisa,
I am also very healthy with the exception of about 50 lbs. We must be soul sisters! I do my vitamins, walk , run the household, and help my hubby with his job a bit. I stay pretty active. I think a positive outlook helps more than anything. I am still scared, but I feel that this is the best course to go. I have almost constant pain on my right side from my ovary all the way around my hip to my back. What used to be an irritiant a couple of times a month is now a painful experience almost every day of the month. painful periods, like labor pains and clots that blow my mind. It's affecting my sex life and when my period begins I have to stay home. This surgery, I hope, will improve the quality of my life. I miss the intimacy with hubby very much. We have been married 15 years and I hate to put him through the worry of the surgery and the extra burden during my recovery, but I know I cannot keep going on like this. I am only 35. I feel 70 some days. Even driving can aggravate the cyst.
He has been very supportive and is treating me like I have already had the operation and am going to hurt myself! LOL
We will get through this just fine. A bit scared maybe. A bit of pain <oK alot of pain!> but there is a light at the end of the tunnel following surgery. Right now, without the surgery, there is no light at the end. Just more of the same, probably getting worse! No thanks!
Thinking of you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register