Okay ladies, I need some input! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Okay ladies, I need some input! Okay ladies, I need some input!

Unread 04-29-2002, 06:42 PM
Okay ladies, I need some input!

My TAH is scheduled for May 7th. Before then I have to make a decision. First, I am having the surgery because of Endo and possoble Adeno. Now, my doctor wants me to decide whether or not to keep the ovaries. I am 37, and he doesn't like to take them at that age. However, if I were to have more endo problems, it would mean having to be opened up to take the ovaries, not a minor surgery. He said that it would be like he is doing now. The only thing that makes me nervous is HRT and going through menopause this way. Can anyone tell me what there experiences have been? Please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 06:55 PM

I am having a hysterectomy because of endo and my doctor and I decided to leave my ovaries in. He said I can always have them removed laparoscopically later on if I need to. I am 30 years old and not ready at all for menopause. I had a little taste of what it was like when I was on Lupron and it was not a good experience for me. Because I reacted so badly to Lupron, we both decided that I should not be put into surgical menopause if at all possible. I am willing to risk having another surgery later on if it buys me atleast a few more years with my ovaries. But Like I said, my doctor said he would remove them laparoscopically if they needed to be taken out. So I won't have to have major surgery to do it. Good luck on your decision. That was the hardest part of deciding on whether or not to have a hysterectomy.
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:56 PM

I'm scheduled for a TAH on May 16th and my doctor is taking the ovaries as well, because of ovarian cysts. So my doctor didn't really give me an option. But if he had given me the option, I would probably have asked about taking them out. One less possible surgery to have to worry about or having to wonder about ovarian cancer.

My best advice to you is to research as much as you can about keeping/removing ovaries and HRT and then make the choice that you feel is best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Taking mine out

Hi Gayle,

After discussing everything with my family, especially my mom because she had her hyst at 40 and they did remove her ovaries, I have opted to take mine out! My doctor was glad that I was doing this because he was not keen on leaving them, only to have to go back and remove them at a later date. My diagnosis is the same as yours, endo with possible adeno. I am 33 years old. If it will make you feel any better, my mom is still on her original dosage of HRT from 13 years ago. She told me that she has never had any problems in all that time!

This is a very difficult decision, just like deciding to do the hyst! It's something that you need to be absolutely certain of because once they remove them, there is NO going back!! It is PERMANENT!!

I will be saying lots of ers for you and sending lots of 's your way!!

e-mail is always on if you want to chat even more!!!
Unread 04-29-2002, 07:04 PM

Hi Gayleellen;

I was 39 when I had my TAH in February. I kept both ovaries - doctor suggested it, as long as they looked good, and they did. I agreed. I realize that they may need to come out at a later date, or may stop working, but I wanted to keep them if possible and avoid HRT, at least for a while.

You have to make your own decision - have you talked to anyone over at the Hormone Jungle? They might have insight that we don't.

Good luck with your decision.

Debbie
Unread 04-30-2002, 01:58 PM
This is where I am at....

Thanks to everyone for the input.

at this point in time, I am thinking that I am going to have him take them. I am so afraid that keeping them, I will still have trouble with the endo. This is a very big part of my having the surgery. That and the possibility of adeno. I am nervous about Menopause too, but I am thinking that I may be better off.
Unread 05-01-2002, 06:57 AM
ovary removal

Hi,

I'm scheduled for my TAH/BSO on 5/7 and I do have a history of endo and was just recently diagnosed with adeno with adhesions, and yucky stuff. I bartered with the gyn to let me keep my ovaries (I'm 38 yrs old). However, he recommended that I have them removed because they will excrete the estrogen that lets endo grow. I've been doing some research that discloses that endo actually inflames surrounding tissues which eventually leads to scarring/adhesions. So inevitably, keeping the ovaries may cause you more pain in the long run. It would be nice to say that every salpingoopherectomy could be done laparascopically, but if adhesions/scarring is present, they may have to perform a more invasive procedure.

I'm toying right now with what HRT I'd like. I'd like to stick with bio=identical hormones that are the same likeness to your own. Do yourself a favor and visit the Hormone Jungle message board here. They are a great help. Good luck!
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:09 AM
leaving mine

Hi, I too am having my hyst for endo. I don't want to have a lap every year to "clean me out". I am hoping this will help. I am only 29 and on my last lap my ovaries look very good, so we are going to leave them. I too cannot imagine having to deal with the hrt right now. My doctor was very forward about it and said at my age it is best to leave them if they look good. And if at some point I am having more problems down the line then at least we tried and I will be a few years older. But we never know I could not ever have another problem and have 20 more years with them. I think it is a personal choice and it depends on the circumstances, every situation is different. Just talk to your doctor and be as completely informed as possible so that you can make a clear decision.

Good luck,

Heather
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:24 AM

Iam also 37, I had my TAH in Feb. I had endo & adeno. My ovaries looked fine so the Dr left them. I asked about the recurrence of endo if he left them, he said there was only about a 1% chance. With all the horror stories about HRT I'd rather take my chances leaving them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register