Pain Medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Medication Pain Medication

Unread 04-30-2002, 12:09 AM
Pain Medication

Dear Sisters:

As you have read my earlier posts I am guilty of taking it too far for the past several days, especially today.

I was sent home with the pain medication Percocet. I took this for my first two days at home and then I was having problems with being "drugged up" so the doctor switched me to a non-narcotic drug, Vioxx (basically it is an anti-inflammatory).

I have been in a lot of pain tonight and I am not sure that I want to start on the Percocet again, but the pain has surpassed the Vioxx and Tylenol.

Can anyone recommend a middle of the road medication that helps with the pain of "not being a good princess"? I will call the dr. in the morning and find out if I can get another drug.

Thank you for the advice. I am so thankful that all of us can help each other through this website. Take care!

God Bless,

Lynnette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 01:50 AM
Pain Medication

Hi Lynette

I came home with Vicodin and Motrin. The Vicodin was great for a while, but it did make me feel pretty doped up and also made me constipated. I tried Darvocet, which worked well, but eventually was more than I really needed. But, at that point the Motrin just wasn't doing it.

My doctor prescribed a drug called Ultram. It is not a narcotic, but it works in the same way on the nerves, so it controls the pain really well without those groggy side effects. I still take it occasionally (like today for instance) when I've been feeling good and doing more than I probably should.

Ask your doc about Ultram, maybe it would work well for you.

Unread 04-30-2002, 04:06 AM
Pain Medication

Hi Lynnette,

I don't have anything to offer as far as meds recommendations, but I did want to pop in and wish you well, and hope that you do find a pain management that works well for you; no princess should have to be in pain!

Sending big ((((HUGS))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 08:01 AM
Pain Medication

So sorry you are hurting so much.

Besides what the others have said I can only offer my opinion. The best "cure" for all the pain of overdoing is to stop overdoing. Your body is sending you a very strong message.

I hope it is possible for you to stop overdoing or at least to minimized it if you can find no way out.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:04 AM
Pain Medication

Hi Lynette! Me again! I'm not familiar with all the drug names and this may be a generic form of what you are already taking. I was on a non narcotic the first 4 days and then couldn't stand it anymore so the Dr wrote an rx for Lortab 10. Wonderful stuff. Not drugged feeling, but very relaxed (didn't put me to sleep either). This was the only pain med that gave any relief for the bladder spasms pain I mentioned earlier. I took 2 whole prescriptions of it (about 2 1/2 weeks worth) and just new I would need to round this experience off by a stint at the Betty Ford clinic. But I came off them fine and did not feel withdrawals. He did put me on another non-narcotic, BEXTRA 20MG (very expensive!!!!) at 3 week post op to help with pain and swelling. This helps with the bladder spasms, but does not provide the same relief the Lortab did. Best Wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register