keeping cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keeping cervix keeping cervix

Unread 04-30-2002, 09:23 AM
keeping cervix

I'm having surgery one week from today and will keeping my cervix. I spoke with my doctor who is also a friend of ours and he said that mini-periods are very very rare, and even if it does happen its a once or twice thing not every month. That in his opinion, IF you are in a low risk for cervical cancer and in a monogomous relationship there are real benfit to keeping the cervix in the way of support for the vaginal vault. But the most important thing Keith stressed is that it is a choice that each woman should make with her own body and situation in mind, no one choice is right for everyone find out the reasons that your own doctor recommends keeping or removing it! Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 10:45 AM
keeping cervix

Kathy,

Hi my name is Stacy Wint and I am having my surgery the same day as you. All of a sudden I'm in a complete panic about all of this. I have a tumor not sure if it's fibroid yet, and it's groing outside of the uterus. I'm having everything taking out from the advise of my doctor. I have been thinking a lot about keeping my cervix too. My doctor's advise is to remove it. I don't have any hystery of any cervical cancer in my family so I'm not sure what I should do.
I just wanted to wish you well and I will be thinking about you next Tuesday. Good Luck to you Kathy.
Unread 04-30-2002, 05:16 PM
keeping cervix

howdy!

I am scheduled for a supra-cervical on 5/13 (keeping ovaries and cervix).

I have read a lot about "mini-periods". From what I have been able to ascertain, they are caused by the endometrial tissue that is left on the cervix when it is retained. If you ask your doctor to cauterize that tissue it should eliminate the chance for the minis. Also, I have seen some research that indicates cauterizing the tissue helps in the healing process.

Best wishes to both of you.

Take care

Shielah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 07:30 PM
keeping cervix

I was asking for advice on this very subject yesterday on the board! Thanks for the additional input.

It sounds as though I should keep my cervix. There is no history of cancer and I always have had normal pap smears. As for mini periods; I agree; I m not sure they are all that much of a problem; probably no more than the usual daily vaginal discharge; only blood. Easy enough to handle.
Unread 05-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Hope you are feeling better

Hope everything went well and you are feeling better. Did they remove your ovaries. My doctor wants too, but he said it would be my decision.
Unread 05-15-2002, 04:34 PM
keeping cervix

Hi, I'm now 8 days post op and feeling pretty good with the exception of a nasty urinary tract infection and one incision that is still pretty tender. Other than that, it wasn't a bad experience at all, I posted a update on the board under "Report on my LSH" if your at all interested.

As far as those of you still undecided about the fate of your cervix, I kept mine becaus emy doctor said he thought it was best for reasons I've already posted. He dosen't think that mini-periods are a issue to worry about at all. In fact he cauterized my cervix so well tah I have had no bleeding or spotting or discharge of any kind at all since surgery! That's right, no pads at all, not a drop!!!! This is one happy girl, I expected the worst, and I have talked to a couple of other women and they didn't have any either. My girlfriend had her hysterectomy 18 months ago and has never had any bleeding again, even after surgery.
Now I did have to have my ovary removed, I only had one, and I had a hormone shot the day after surgery and have not had any menopausal symptoms, in fact the vaginal dryness that I had prior to surgery is cured. I'm well on my way to being a new woman. This was the best choice I ever made!!!
Kathy
Unread 05-15-2002, 06:24 PM
keeping cervix

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

I had my cervix removed, I am 14 weeks post op and as far as I can tell there is no difference with sex or orgasms. My bladder is functioning just fine, and is where it belongs.
Unread 05-15-2002, 10:25 PM
keeping cervix

Just my 2 cents worth...when I asked my dr about keeping my cervix he told me that it is easier for him to do a sub-total (keeping the cervix) hyster, but suggested having it removed. This is how he explained it to me...no real advantages to keeping it, and even tho the risk of cervical cancer can be fairly low (depending on your risk factors), IF you do get cervical cancer, it doesn't have a uterus to help contain it therefore the whole abdomen it within easier reach. He also told me that his wife had a total hyster, and IT isn't any different (nothing like sharing some personal info with the doc...lol). So my choice is to have it removed, even tho I have a pretty low risk of cancer. It still boils down to an informed decision you should make with your doc. It's thanks to this website that I even knew it was a question to bring up with my dr. Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful advice and support!

Jenn
Unread 05-16-2002, 04:38 AM
keeping cervix

Jenn,

My Dr. said similar things. He also added that if you get cervical cancer and they have to go back in for the cervix, there is a 10 fold risk of injury to the bladder, bowel and nerves due to the normal post op build up of scar tissue.

He added that he has seen an equal number of women with vaginal, uterine and bladder prolapse who still have their cervix (with or without a hysterectomy) so he doesn't agree with the idea of vaginal vault or pelvic floor support as a reason to keep the cervix.

He agreed that it was a slightly easier and quicker surgery for him to leave the cervix, but for my future health he thought removing it was the safer option. He told me that it was my choice, but that he would prefer to remove it. I think I shall have him remove it.

Caren (4 days and counting )
Unread 05-16-2002, 05:09 AM
take my cervix - please!

I've had abnormal pap smears pretty much throughout my adult life. When I was 20, I had laser surgery on the cervix due to pretty severe dysplasia -

then after my first was born, I had my cervix frozen, from another abnormal pap - and the goofy doc got the wooden stick frozen in an unmentionable place! He thought it was funny - I was not amused (at the time anyways!) -

Four more abnormal paps since 1995 - and two cone biopsies later - my new ob/gyn asked "would you like me to leave the cervix?" WHY?? is there a good reason to keep it? I don't particularly enjoy my twice a year paps!

So take my cervix - please!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register