long hair question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

long hair question long hair question

Unread 04-30-2002, 09:49 AM
long hair question

Hello ladies!

I have a rather inane question all things considered.

I am scheduled for surgery on 5/13, pre op on 5/10.

My question to you all is this (don't worry, I am also going to ask the hospital when I go for my pre op)...

I have long hair and HATE it to be messy and icky. I know that I will not be allowed to shower for at least 2 days. I am wondering if I go in with my hair braided and secured with a fastener with no metal will they permit me to leave it in during surgery? Otherwise I will have to have someone braid it post op and prospect is not all that appealing.

Anyone out there with long hair have any input?

Thanks for your help

Shielah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 10:11 AM
long hair question

I'm sure that no one will re-do your hair for you while you're in surgery. They plop a VERY attractive (NOT) shower cap thingie on you before they wheel you to the OR, and it stays there until recovery. Your braid will stay braided! You might want to braid it off to one side a bit so you aren't lying on it, though.

I think that's a great solution to keep it out of your way the first day or so. You will probably be allowed to shower the second day, but remember you may not feel up to drying long hair, so again, a nice braid will keep you feeling neat and fresh.

Definitely ask, but I don't think they will be too worried about your do. Good question!!!

Karen
Unread 04-30-2002, 12:12 PM
long hair question

That's exactly what I did (except my rubber-band thingy had metal in it - which I didn't think of until much later...). My hair would've been a big mat of knots after two days. I just braided it loosely, and it was still like that a couple of days later when I started caring enough to notice it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 12:31 PM
long hair question

thank you

It would be nice not to have to worry about fighting with tangles for a few days.
Unread 04-30-2002, 01:35 PM
long hair question

I too, have long hair and I have been so concerned about everything else, I have not even thought of this aspect. THANK YOU!! I will wear mine up somehow.
Best wishes to you.....we have the same date! I have pre-op on May 8 and surgery at 12:30pm May 13.
Susan
Unread 04-30-2002, 01:42 PM
long hair question

You're so wise to consider this beforehand. I had never had surgery before so I didn't know the 'rules' relative to long hair.

I had my hair tied up away from my face with a standard ponytail fastener. The nurse asked if it had metal on it and of course it did. So I had to take it down. My hair was a mess for the first day an a half and it was constantly in my way. My mom tried to tie it up for me but it fell because she was afraid to tie it too tightly.

So.. good thinking!

All the best to you.
Unread 04-30-2002, 01:59 PM
long hair question

when I had long hair,I had gotten some terry hair ties. I had problems with ties that had the metal piece in them,for they
would tear my hair out.You might want to look for the terry ones
for they will not catch and pull on the hair, I have seen them in the hair assorries(sp?) section.
Unread 04-30-2002, 02:16 PM
hair affair

What is the deal with metal why would it matter? Any ideas for short hair? I can't imagine what mine will look like in 2 days. What is the witch on the cartoons that her hair is sticking straight up and when she moves on her broom pieces of her hair flies everywhere. My date is also 5-13 my pre op is 5-8. It is going to be here before I'm ready.
Unread 04-30-2002, 03:36 PM
long hair question

Something else I did, that might help some ladies... I have bangs, and I also keep the underside-hair at the nape of my neck fairly short (because it gets tied in knots even easier than the rest). So just before my hyst I went and got my hair cut, and had my guy cut my bangs and the neck part "too short", with the idea that at about 4 weeks I would start to look normal again, instead of needing a trim in 4 weeks (and I just hate it when my hair is in my eyes). It worked great, and by the time I really did need a haircut I was easily recovered enough to go have one.
Unread 04-30-2002, 04:02 PM
long hair question

Look at Wal Mart, they sell a type of ponytail holder like a small rubber band but it is designed not to tear your hair. They are either clear or black. I used them when I had long hair and they worked great.
Just my 2 cents worth for the day... LOL

Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register