recovering room | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovering room recovering room

Unread 04-30-2002, 08:26 PM
recovering room

First I have to say I LOVE this website.

I have a question. I have my list for the hospital. The thing I was wondering is what have you all had for your recovering room? I want to have everything ready. what are the must haves? Also, one more question, did any of you let your children see you while you were in the hospital? I have a 10 year old who is ADHD, and a 7 year old. The 10 y.o. is a little nervous about the surgery. Thanks for listening TTFN or until the next question!!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 08:35 PM
recovering room

Hi, Melissa,

Here are some links to get you started with preparing your room at home:
How others can help

Preparing Your Spot for hysterectomy recovery

Personally, I got very bored with being in bed, very quickly. I recovered on the sofa in my living room. It did help me to have everything I needed on the main level of the house, to minimize trips up and down stairs.

Good luck with your surgery.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:40 PM
Hi Melissa

Melissa
By recoverying room do you mean the room you will be in at home? If so, lot's of women have used the surgery as a good reason to do a little redecorating. New bedding, some new pictures to look at, some scented candles for the bedside.
I also purchased a "grabber". It is a helpful device for picking up anything you drop or can't reach the first few weeks. A hospital bed table is helpful too and can be rented from the hospital supply store. (you can get the grabber there too.) It is nice to have everything you need for the day within arms reach. Like the phone, meds, tissues, a snack. Especially if the family will be gone during the day and you are on your own a bit.
If you decide to let the children in to visit you in the hospital I would definitely wait until the 2nd or 3rd day. The first day you will be pretty out of it and have the extra tubes in (oxygen, IV, catheter) which might scare the kids unnecessarily.
Please let us know if we can answer anything else.
Also, here is a link to some helpful information for the family.

Hysterectomy FAQ for Family and Friends

Good luck and let us know how everything works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 08:42 PM
recovering room

Melissa,

Can't answer the question about kids, but I can tell you about my recovering room. I have a TV in my bedroom, so that's where I stayed most of the time unless boredom forced me into other quarters. Because my bedroom is upstairs and I wasn't sure beforehand how well I would do on the stairs, I stocked my bedroom with a couple of cases of bottled water, some breakfast bars, individual servings of applesauce, and other snacks. (It turned out the stairs weren't really a problem after all, but my room was well-stocked anyway.)

You'll want to make sure you have things like Advil, Gas-X and any other medicines you might need handy. You might put some extra pillows in the room because you might need to prop them up around you to get comfortable. Have some reading material - books, magazines. I also had note cards and stamps for thank you notes, although I still have some that I haven't written. That's all I can think of right now.

I'm sure others will come along with lots of other suggestions. Good luck!

Margaret
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:49 PM
hi

I have a 12 yr old and yes I did allow him to see me. He was there when I was in the recovery room and then put in a room. Of course i was so groggy I didn't know much.

As far as when I got home- These are the things I went ahead and bought or would advise people to have on hand.

Pain meds- Ibuprophen- Milk of Magnesia (in case you get constipated) Pads- Gas medicine (you will need it) and a wedge pillow. This allowed me to sleep in a proped up position and I also put pillows under the bend of knees (this helped me sleep and kept me from having to get up EVEN further while in pain..lol)
Plenty of Juices, ect.

I guess that was my main things I prepaired for at home.

Good Luck
runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:50 PM
recovering room

Melisssa, no one knows your children like you do. Some children can handle seeing mom in bed with IV's and things. Some children can't. My children are teens and they came. I am also a nurse so hospitals and everything that goes with them have been a part of my childrens life. When in dought.....Call them on the phone and let them know you are okay. You will not be in the hospital that long and will see them in a few days.Well take care and good luck!Angela
Unread 04-30-2002, 10:52 PM
recovering room

Hi Melissa

I don't know if I would want your 7-year-old to see you right away, like within 24 hours of surgery, just because you won't look so hot and will be out of it for a while. It might be kind of scary.

However, I think I would let your son see you as soon as possible. My daughter is autistic and although she's an adult, she functions more like a 7-8 year old. She was REALLY stressed out about the surgery and kept asking me if I was going to 'leave' like her grandmother (we just lost my mom a little over a year ago and they were very close). Her behavior just went off the charts, she was so hyper and upset. She came to see me just a few hours after my surgery, and calmed down right away. All she wanted was to see that I was alive and well, and she stopped obsessing.

As far as the areas of home where you will recover, make them nice and comfy, with lots of pillows. Be sure when you aren't in bed you can put your feet up, like on the sofa or in a recliner or a chair with a hassock or ottoman. Have everything you need right there - phone, remote, whatever reading materials you like, glasses if you need them, your water or other drinks, refreshments, etc. etc. It helps to have pretty flowers, or scented candles or something like that too. I didn't have much time to get things together before I went to the hospital, but I did just kind of arrange things to be comfortable and user friendly.

Hope this helps!

Unread 05-01-2002, 04:12 AM
Hospital table

I had a c-sect and am having a TAH. Told hubby I wanted to rent a table on wheels that comes over the bed and can be pushed out of the way. I can be more comfortable writing letters, eating, playing solitaire..etc. I think it is $10 per week. i would only want it the first week home. I know it would have helped in the recovery for my C-sect.
Good luck to you!
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:09 AM
recovering room

Heating pad!

Insulated giant drinking mug with closeable non-spill top.

"Tavern puzzles" - those metal things you can fiddle with for hours, trying to get a certain ring to come free from the rest (I bought a set of 12 of them!). You can pick them up, fuss with them, put them down... Not like a jigsaw...

TiVo!

I didn't read any of the books I'd gotten, or learn to tie any knots with the book and practice ropes I'd made - no attention span.
Unread 05-01-2002, 02:17 PM
recovering room

I had my surgery 4/18. My husband brought our children up the day after my surgery. We decided it would be best if they didn't come up the day of, due to all the extra wires and stuff I had attached to me. IV, catheter, blood pressure and so forth. I too have a daughter with ADHD and we were uncertain on how she would handle the situation. When they came up, they wanted to see my staples, so I showed them.
Since we live in a 2 story home, I wasn't sure of the stairs, so I stayed upstairs for the first week or so. I am now 13 days post op and try the stairs at least once a day. I come down spend a couple of hours then right up to my room. Hubby says, I need a change of scenery. HaHa.

's to you... Tammy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register