recovery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-01-2002, 08:42 AM
recovery??

You guys have helped me calm my fears, but I will you help me to understand what it will be like after the surgery. I plan on returning to work the next week. (only half a day) But is that really realistic?? After reading some of the posts I am not so sure anymore. My mom said I should be able to return rather quickly. I know that everyone is different, but feedback on this would help prepare me. Again thank you so much and I am so glad I found this website. It seems right when you get so scared, God sends those to help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2002, 09:19 AM
recovery??

Hi ShawnaM!

You didn't say what kind of surgery you were having but from everything I've heard and read (I'm still an LIW) that sounds really, really soon to be trying to return to work after any kind of hyst.
What does your doctor say?

Cecee
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Hi Shawna

Welcome to Hystersisters.

I don't know what kind of surgery you are having exactly. But a hysterectomy is major surgery no matter how it is done. You cannot go back to work the following week. What has your doctor told you to expect in terms of time off required?
Most of us are advised to be off for 6-8 weeks my our physicians. This is normal and customary because it is what is needed for our bodies to heal. No one is being a wimp here. This is a big deal.
I am sorry but I do not know why your mom thought that you could go back rather quickly. Has she had a hysterectomy?
The surgery, although it is done frequently and is relatively risk free is still major surgery. That means lot's of cutting and repairs and dozens if not hundreds of internal stitches. It requires alot of resting in a reclining position for the body to heal properly. Also you will be mentally and emotionally fatigued for awhile. Not too mention it takes a few weeks for the anesthesia and pain meds to work their way out of your system. I couldn't concentrate on anything more challenging than "Wheel of Fortune" for a month.
I am not saying any of this to scare you. You will recover and be yourself again. But it will happen in 6 weeks give or take. Not the week after surgery.
If you would like to educate yourself and other family members more fully on what you will experience here is a link to some surgery sites etc.: Warning some of it is graphic.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=29372
Good luck and keep reading and posting.
We are here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2002, 10:10 AM
recovery??

I agree...no matter what type of surgery you're having, you should not be back at work the next week!!!

The recovery for LAVH is somewhat shorter, but 6 to 8 weeks is the standard time frame for BEGINNING to return to normal activies, and that includes working!!

Please speak to your doctor ASAP and clarify this. Yes, each person is different and each doctor is, too, but the basic guidelines for a safe recovery free from long-term complications is 6 to 8 weeks.

PLEASE don't compromise your health...we get one chance to heal properly!!!!!!

Karen
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:17 AM
recovery??

Hi Shawna! and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

Have you visited the pull-down menus yet? There is a TON of imformation on this site. Those menus helped me understand everything from pre-op through post-op! I had my list of questions, including how long I would need to recover, ready for my doctor at pre-op!

Yes, everyone is different in healing. I will tell you though, no matter how good I felt at day 4, I was not ready for work! I work from home and I just now went back at 8 weeks post-op. I thought I had an easy recovery too!

Sara
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:20 AM
everyone IS different....

Hi Shawna,

I thought I would share my tiny story just help with your info collection process!

I had an SAH on a Wednesday and I left the hospital on Friday. I had a lot of problems with nausea due to the pain medication I was put on after the spinal was removed. The nausea made me lose my appetite for a day and a half, which weakened me quite a bit. When they finally got me something I could take, I regained my appetite and felt much stronger. I share that part of the story with you because you have to remember that minor things might happen that you don't expect which might set you back a bit. It wasn't until Sunday that I felt "good", which means good enough to sit with my family in our living room instead of staying upstairs in bed.

I have to admit, I had a very different picture of how I would feel after surgery than how it turned out. I imagined myself doing a lot more the following week than I did. I had no complications (other than the meds) and I still actually wanted to stay in bed! I am normally a very active person, who is fairly athletic, and I don't like to sit still for long, so for me to "want" to stay in bed means I NEEDED to stay in bed!

In my very humble opinion, to be back at work the following week, even half day, might be too much.

But everyone is different.......... ! :-)

Talk to the doctor!
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:58 AM
what about 3-4

Ok, everyone is saying 6-8 minimum, which I do agree with. But my doctor is saying I will go home the next day and be back to full-time in 3 weeks. I feel like that is just to soon. Oh by the way I am having a tvh, leaving ovaries. I already heal very slowly, and I don't ever tolerate general well, get nauseous. Maybe I am overestimating how bad I will feel.
Unread 05-01-2002, 11:34 AM
thanks

I am having a complete hyster (removing everything) and all the reading that I am doing it sounds as though that is more aggresive. My doc said 6 weeks but he would consider sooner depending on how I felt. I just have a sit down job, so I thought that it would be okay. My mon did have a hysterectomy about 19 years ago, vaginal and she said that it was worse that an abdominal hyster. I am still nervous and wondering if I am doing the right thing, but the pain is every day and is increasingly getting worse. I have endo. All the other doc that I went to said the pain must be in my head because they could not find anything. Finally, 9 years later I found a doc with enough patience to look and find what is causing all the pain. Well, thanks and again I am so gald I found this site because of the wonderful and supporting people as yourselves.
Unread 05-01-2002, 11:48 AM
recovery??

Hi Shawna

I agree with everything the other ladies have said. One week after surgery, you will be wanting to sleep a lot, you'll still be moving slowly (if you're being a good ), and your tummy will get sore very easily if you sit for more than about 15-20 minutes. Sitting is considered an 'activity' because it puts a lot of pressure on your external incision, as well as the many many stitches you will have internally.

I don't know why your mom said a vaginal hyst is a lot worse than an abdominal. Both surgeries take about the same time to heal, but with a vaginal you don't have the large abdominal incision. And abdominal means one more major wound that has to heal, and it takes time. I'm sure your mom is concerned about you, but that information is wrong.

Your doctor says back to work full time at three weeks? That is not realistic either. Some ladies are able to go back to work part time at three weeks, but even then most experience soreness, swelling, and extreme tiredness! I think I would have a talk with the doc about his/her expectations as far as your release to go back to work. You will need the doctor's support in being able to have the amount of time you really need off from work, so your workplace or disability provider doesn't give you any grief about not returning 'soon enough'.

Sometimes I wonder where people get the idea that we can bounce back from a major surgery in just a few days or weeks. I get tired of women being expected to get back to their usual routines in a short time, neglect and sacrifice ourselves because other people don't want to take over our many jobs for even a little while. If you were a guy having major surgery, nobody would bat an eye if you needed more time off! grrrrrrrrrrrr

Okay I'll step down off my soapbox for now. Just don't let anyone else tell you how soon you should be well enough to do certain things, only you will know how good you feel as your recovery progresses.

Best of luck with your surgery and a swift and smooth recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register