Yet another new girl | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yet another new girl Yet another new girl

Unread 05-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Yet another new girl

Wow, I didn't think a site like this existed!

I'm a little young for this yet at 28 (per the doc), but he's willing to do a TAH due to major endo/adeno. Watchful waiting for 14 years is a little too much on endo and 7 years on the adeno, personally, but I'm actually looking forward to this!

I already have a tentative date of June 29th. Hubby is a little upset that the hospital is an hour and a half drive away (love that city driving!), but we got cellphones with unlimited minutes so he can call, and he'll be able to visit once or twice after he gets off work.

I've heard a bunch of stories about hysts from my mom, aunts, etc, and none of them good. I'm tossing them out the window since I want to have my *own* experience - they all used the same doc that didn't really know what he was doing! I got a doc at Kaiser that's very understanding about this, it took around 3 years of searching to find someone willing to have an open mind about things!

Does anyone have a positive outlook that they'd like to share with me on this, and maybe some humor? Anything and everything is appreciated and will be enjoyed!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2002, 09:47 AM
Hi!

Welcome! If you go the the post-op message board you can read stories from women who have already had their surgeries. Most had good experiences as far as I could tell. I am scheduled for 5/23 and am 34 yrs old. My Mom, Aunts and Great Grandma all had to have Hyst.
My Mom says she would do it all again in a heart beat. She was 37, now 53. She said she never knew how bad she flet until she saw how good things were following the surgery! Things have changed drastically over the years in regards to medicine so I am really not fearful of the surgery itself. I am so glad you were able to get help for your pain!
Take care
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Yet another new girl

I'm so glad you found us! This is the best place around for information, support, hugs, and yes, humor.

I had my TAH/BSO over a year ago, and it was one of the best decisions I've made. It sounds like you have done your homework and have a good idea of what's going on with your health...that's a big help!

If you haven't already, check out the Pull Down Menus on our home page...they are full of great information, battle stories, and lists of questions to ask and things to do to help you prepare for surgery & recovery.

Keep reading, post any and all questions, and maybe stop by Chat. We'll all be here to help you in any way we can!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2002, 11:07 AM
Hi

I wanted to add another Welcome and to the list.

I think the more you read here the more you will find that most posts are positive and for many of us we wish we had, had the surgery sooner. Not that I would wish this on anyone, but if you need it, life is very good on the other side.

It is wonderful to enjoy your life without excessive bleeding, anemia, fatigue, painful periods, painful sex and or PMS that lasts 2 weeks a month or whatever your symptoms are. It is great to be able to plan an outing or a trip without worrying about how you are feeling or flowing that day.

Many times the "war stories"we hear from our mom's or grandma's were from much earlier years. Procedures and medications have come along way.

Here's wishing you smooth sailing in your surgery and recovery.

Keep reading and posting.

Unread 05-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Yet another new girl

Hi, Starwalk!

Welcome! I am a little over 8 weeks post-op, and have had what I consider to be a very easy recovery! Click on the link below my name at the end of my message, and you can read my story.

Read a lot on this web site, and ask any questions you have. All the women here will be here to support you!!

Cheers,
Unread 05-01-2002, 12:01 PM
hey there

I justed wanted to write and say hey. I am also 28 years old and I am scheduled for one on May 13, 2002 also for endo. Parts of me are so ready to get this over with, but another part of me wants to call them and reschedule for maybe ten years later down the road. Anyways I will keep in touch with you and we can go through this together.
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Yet another new girl

Hi!

I too heard all the "horror" stories but I can tell you, having my hyster has been great!!! No raging, crazy PMS, no periods that could supply the local blood bank, no blinding cramps, no having to decline weekends at the lake because you just might start.
I'm 34 and had my surgery 7 months ago. I've been on Estratest. It does cause acne but I've become real diligent (sp?) about cleaning my face every night and thats helped. I've also gained weight but I guess if I stopped super sizing my fries I would lose it! and the best thing is....the testosorone in the Estratest gives me an incredible sex drive (never thought I would hear my husband say "My God woman, AGAIN?!?! Leave me alone!!!)

My recovery went really well too. I was in the hospital for 4 days (had abdo hyster) the male nurse who brought my pain meds looked like Brad Pitt (I think I told him I loved him after he injected me with Moriphine!
The only thing I took for pain when I got home was Advil. 7 days after my surgery I walked a mile to McDonalds and yes I super sized my fries!!

I also take Effexor (antidepress) with the Estratest and I haven't had a single mood swing. Might be something to look into. I think it helped give me a better out look on life which made my recovery go well.

Hope this helps!! Good luck, keep smiling and hope for a Brad Pitt look a like nurse!!!
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:01 AM
Yet another new girl

Hi,
Just wanted to say hello and hope everything goes well for you. I am 1 week post op and I feel so great . As I read many times the waiting is the worst part. I know its a little early for me to say but up to now I feel much better and glad that I had it done.(TVH for heavy bleeding, anemia, and fibroids.)This web site was the best thing ever and I went for my op calm and confident thanks to the ladies on this site.
You will find all the help and support you could ever need here .

sending a warm and best wishes

JuneT
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:21 AM
Yet another new girl

Hi and welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I can relate to the driving thing, it was 45 mins. each way for us to the castle. Hubby was the only one that visited, but I really didn't want people coming to see me there.

I'm 9 weeks post-op and I am feeling good! No pain, no bleeding, energy, positive attitude.

Have you read the pull-down menus yet on the main page? www.hystersisters.com There is a TON of information on this site!

I'm glad you are taking others experiences with a grain of salt. I didn't have anyone to compare stories with, everyone I know had a hyster 30+ years ago. I'm sooooooo glad to have found HS!

Sara
Unread 05-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Yet another new girl

Hi Starwalk,

I just wanted to pop on here and tell you that I've had nothing but good feedback about having a hysterectomy (ok, my mom doesn't count!) from every single woman I've talked to. At least 20 women I've talked to have said the exact same words... "You're going to feel SO much better afterwards!"

Those words, and the women on this board are what is keeping me sane during my wait. I go next thursday (May 9th) to the castle.

I wish you much luck, and a big !!

Blessings,
Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register