Listen to this! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Listen to this! Listen to this!

Unread 05-01-2002, 01:58 PM
Listen to this!

Just wanted to let you girls know how it pays to do your research and be informed about what's being done to your body. I'm having a TAH on May 3rd. I went to the hospital for my pre op testing. The nurse practitioner handed me one of many forms to sign...this one had general instructions about what you can and can't do before and after surgery. At the top it had my name and the procedure to be performed. They had "Total Abdominal Hysterectomy / Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy" I said to the nurse practioner that I wasn't having my ovaries removed, thank you. She said, "But you put TAH on your form." I said that yes that's what I'm having...TAH, removal of the uterus and cervix. She said, " Oh no, TAH means they take EVERYTHING." She said call your doctor and get it straighted out. Needless to say I stopped there as soon as I got out of there. The doctor told me that the nurse at the hospital obviously had her definitions confused and he had to call and make sure they had their paperwork corrected. I guess I'll be taking a magic marker to my abdomen before I lay on that gurney. Just wanted to let you know how just a little knowledge can save you an important body part. Who would guess that an "oophorectomy" meant taking the ovaries out if you hadn't checked it out a bit. SCARY!!

Sorry this was so long-winded!
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Listen to this!

thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to read as much as I can and learn all the lingo too. My surgery is 6/4 and I'm reading like crazy!
Unread 05-01-2002, 03:10 PM
Listen to this!

You may also want to draw a dotted line with instructions 'cut here'. A doc went into the operating room to amputate a patient's leg. He lifted the sheet from the right leg and written on it in magic marker was 'NOT THIS LEG, THE OTHER ONE!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2002, 03:15 PM
Listen to this!

LOL! I've heard about that one. Scary, isn't it??
Unread 05-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Listen to this!

Kim and others.......A little FYI..........I had a TAH. When I signed my OR consent it was for a TAH and POSSIBLE Bila.sapigontoly and oopherreactomy(sorry about the spelling in other words tubes and ovaries)Why..Well because when the Dr. goes in he might find something and he might have to take the ovaries and tubes. If you don't sign the consent for that and he has to take those parts. He must stop the surgery and wake you and get the consent signed. It is alot easier to be safe the sorry Sign pre op!!!!!!!!!!!!I asked the same question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sometimes the pre op nurses don't have all the info. Your right be educated. Ask questions lots!!!!!!!!!!!Know your Dr. and be comfortable with him or her. And don't sign anything you don't understand. One of my myomectomies I refused to sign the Con sent for Blood!!!!!!!!!That really agrivated the OR staff! I spoke with my Dr. he explained why I had to sign it so I did. We also agreed no blood unless I was DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well take care and Good luck everyone. angela
Unread 05-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Listen to this!

Angela...thanks for that. I do understand the thing about signing consent for a possible removal if neccesary...I'm cool with that. When I said something about the TAH she told me what I signed wasn't a consent...thank goodness. But you're right...BE AWARE of what you are signing!!

Kim
Unread 05-01-2002, 04:04 PM
Listen to this!

You can never be too careful. Most medical professionals are competent but they make mistakes too - it's just that their mistakes can be much more damaging than most other professions.

My gyn sent me to the lab for some blood work last fall to determine if I was anemic (which, of course, I was). The lab technician called me from the waiting room, showed me a chair, and proceeded to take my blood. After the 4th vile (that's right - 1 test, 4 viles!!!) I got suspicious so I looked at the viles on the table beside me - they all had a different name on them!!!

I asked the technician whose name was on the viles (thinking it might identify her as the technician who drew the blood) and she said "Yours". Duh.... I corrected her and you should have seen the panic on her face! I was horrified. Not for me - I was just having an anemia test. I was horrified for the woman whose viles had my blood in them. God only knows what she was being tested for!!?!

Oh well. The moral of the story is check, check, and check again. We're all only human.
Unread 05-02-2002, 06:44 AM
No blood?

Note that you don't have to consent to taking blood under ANY circumstances. There are non-blood substitutes and expanders that work just as well, if not better than, real blood and they don't carry disease.

You can live with only 2 pints of blood in your body if you have a non-blood expander transfused. Also, if you refuse to take blood, the doc will be more careful about where and when to cut, blood vessels will be clamped off instead of left to drain, etc.

Studies show patients who are not given blood recover quicker than those who are, even when the surgries are identical.

I refused blood but put that I would accept non-blood expanders on the form I had to sign for the hospital. As it turned out, I didn't need either, although I had extensive surgery with doc having to separate things from my bladder, colon, bowel, and abdominal wall.

Yes, it was a religious choice for me, but with all the diseases that can slip through testing, I feel it's a viable choice in any event.
Unread 05-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Listen to this!

Don't be afraid to tell *everyone* (anesthesiologist, nurses, the janitor...) that you are planning to keep your ovaries. And go right ahead and write on yourself. I sure did (on my arm, near my wrist band and IV). The ink will come off later... And as I told my doc, better safe than sorry - both he and I would happier after surgery if nothing was taken by accident.

LRemaly said "Also, if you refuse to take blood, the doc will be more careful about where and when to cut, blood vessels will be clamped off instead of left to drain, etc."

I dunno about that... It's hard to imagine any doctor "leaving blood vessels to drain" because they know they could do a tranfusion later, so what the heck. I think most surgeons do have their patient's best interests in mind, and do their best every time, just as a matter of pride in their work. I respect the religious stand taken, I'd just hate to see any other sisters refuse to accept blood because they heard their doctor would be more careful then.
Unread 05-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Listen to this!

Not meant to encourage the refusal of blood to encourage care on the part of docs, but they will be more careful if they know that's the case. My doc had no objections, but I know a lot of docs do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register