Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries

Unread 03-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries

My insurance is only covering the new generic patch for vivelle dot. I have been using vivelle dot for at least 10 years. Has anyone had any experience to share with the generic? Would appreciate some input. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2015, 01:10 PM
Wink - Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries Re: Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot

Hi All,

Note: Generic Vivelle-Dot has just recently arrived on the scene (January 2015) produced by Sandoz.

I had a hysterectomy and ovaries removed 13 years ago and after trying various sources of HRT began using (with good success) the Vivelle-Dot (started at 0.75, last 5 years at 0.05) and have used this patch for over 10 years.

Eight weeks ago my insurance company's pharmacy (requires use of a mail-order pharmacy) sent me my 3-month supply and it was GENERIC (produced by Sandoz). I was not pre-consulted. It was much cheaper (only $10 for 3 months rather than $80). I was happy and hopeful but kept alert and aware regarding how I felt.

It seemed to be alright and then at about 6 weeks of use I noticed a dull sadness creeping in, then insomnia, and starting now, a few hot flashes. I cried myself to sleep a few nights ago.

My husband asked me if I forgot to change my patch (not knowing I started the generic). That is when I really started to pay attention.

This was not a dramatic change. Slow but subtle lack of motivation, dullness, sadness, achey muscles, fuzzy thinking, insomnia, fatigue.

I called my MD today requesting brand name Vivelle-dot. It will take at least 10 days for them to file prior authorization just to see if my insurance will actually cover the brand name now that the generic is on the market.

My MD's nurse is sending a prescription (brand name) to my local pharmacy so I can pick up a month's supply (pay full price) so I will know soon if there is a difference or if I am "imagining" this, which I think is what we often feel we are doing in these vague circumstances.

I'll let you know.

So just be aware if you are using brand name Vivelle-dot and this is switched to generic. If the generic patches work for you that will be great because they are much cheaper than brand name patches.

But do BE AWARE and watchful.

Please post to keep this thread going for all of us V-D users. I think this will start happening to everyone on brand name Vivelle-dot and it will be helpful for us to connect if we do have symptoms of low estrogen.

Much love, Chook
Unread 05-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Re: Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot

Chook,

Thanks so much for letting us know about your reaction to the generic Sandoz estrogen patch. I was too afraid to try it (afraid I'd get a dreaded migraine) and asked my doctor to send in a new Rx for the brand name Vivelle patch before I ran out.

I know what you mean about thinking we are imagining our reactions to a medication but it sounds like you are experiencing a bad reaction in reality. Please let us know if the new symptoms go away with the Vivelle patch.

Thanks again!
Kathleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2015, 06:02 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I am glad my post helped you to gain some clarity. I hope your insurance covers the brand name now that the generic is out there. I am paying $104 at the local hospital's pharmacy (Walmart was $157!). This, for a 1 month supply of VD brand name while I wait for my insurance to give prior authorization for me to continue getting the brand name per my doctor's order today. (I usually get a 3 month supply of brand name VD for $80. The generic they sent me was $10.) I will be happy to pay the $80 for the three month supply of brand name. Hopefully they will authorize this.

Let us know if your insurance covers the brand name. I know that once the generic is out there some insurances will not cover brand name meds even with an MD prescription.

Hope this works out for both of us.

Chook
Unread 05-20-2015, 04:21 AM
Smile - Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries Re: Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot

Good morning Chook,

I am very fortunate that my insurance covered the brand Vivelle after it had already paid for a 3-month supply of the Mylan generic estrogen patch. I kinda feel bad asking them to pay again so soon. I'm going to ask my gynecologist if she has anyone using the generic successfully and will give her the supply they sent me.

I wish the mail order pharmacy had asked me first if I wanted the generic before refilling my prescription. They credited me back for my portion of the bill but not my company.

I'm glad you were able to get that month's supply so quickly. Hope you have a good day!
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Smile - Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries Re: Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot

Hi dear Hystersisters,

I have been on the phone this morning with my insurance company's mail order pharmacy who authorizes which medications my policy will cover and what the co-pays will be. You may find this interesting.

Here is what can happen when a generic version of a brand name medication arrives on the market:

1. The mail order pharmacy (if your insurance works that way) will send you the generic brand for $5-10 for, say, a three month supply without consulting with you.

2. If it is the generic Vivelle-dot you will be happy! It even says Vivelle-dot on the package. Wow and so cheap! Two things can happen. It works and this is great. You get your estrogen at a low co-pay. If you begin to slowly have the effects of low estrogen you may determine that you want to go back on the brand name Vivelle-dot with its top notch delivery system.

3. No problem. You tell your doctor and he/she simply re-orders the brand name Vivelle-dot for you. Easy!

4. Not so fast. Here is where you need to be very aware. Your co-pay may increase. This is because for some insurances once the generic form comes out the brand name is no longer on their "preferred drug" list.

Example:
I have been paying an $80 co-pay for a 3-month supply of brand name Vivelle-dot if I purchase it through the mail order pharmacy my insurance company contracts with. (At my local pharmacy I would pay a $120 co-pay for the same amount.) The brand name Vivelle-dot was on this mail order pharmacy's "preferred drug" list earlier in 2015 and in the past years.

I do not want to use the generic they recently sent because it doesn't work as well for me. I want to use the brand name as I always have.

Not a simple thing.

First this has to be "authorized" by the mail order pharmacy by virtue of a written communication my doctor has to fax to the mail order pharmacy. Once this "authorization" is given by the mail order pharmacy I can purchase the brand name Vivelle-dot again BUT now I have to co-pay $160 for the same 3-month supply if I purchase from the mail order pharmacy (co-pay goes up to $240 for the 3-month supply from my local pharmacy). The co-pay of the medication doubled! The increased co-pay is because once the generic form of the medication is on the market the Vivelle-dot fell off the "preferred list" and onto the "non-preferred" list.

This is happening with many insurances so please beware of this. Just because your doctor gets the prior authorization for you to use the brand name Vivelle-dot patch doesn't mean you will still have the same co-pay. It may increase. For some of us that may force us to have to use the generic even if it isn't absorbed as well.

This was my experience so just a warning to be aware if this should happen to you with your insurance policy's pharmaceutical coverage. Fortunately I can afford the brand name for right now. This might not be so for others.

Post here if the generic doesn't work for you. Let us know how your insurance company does with that so we can see what is going on.

Again the generic Vivelle-dot just came on the market in early 2015. There are two companies MYLAN and SANDOZ.

Be vigilant as always.

Love, Chook
Unread 07-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Unhappy - Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot - kept ovaries Re: Vivelle dot vs generic vivelle dot

I have tried both brand and generic since June.
In June only tried 3 of the generic patches and started feeling bad again. At first it was great--the first day or two then things went downhill.

I thought maybe I was "imagining" things. so I put one on today instead of a vdot.. Not Good! my neck and shoulders started to ache and hurt, I felt teary, yucky in the stomach and got very light headed feeling once today. (I was NOT like any of the things I just described yesterday, I was alright yesterday)

Of the two, I like the brand better. At least I didn't get the muscle tightness, aches & lightheadedness

It must be the delivery system or adhesive?? supposed to be exactly the same estradiol.. I have tried several brands of patches over the years and I honestly felt DIFFERENT on each one... Its strange though. I initially asked to be put back on the brand climara in May which I had done well on in the past, For Several Years..... but this time I didn't feel the same at all- like I didn't even have a patch on!! Felt strange- did nothing for my mood or sleep or energy. Before it helped all that....even right away... so I stopped it ... That is when I tried vdot brand. did just "OK" on it then DH asked if I could try the Generic dot for the cost (big difference). I did . only lasted for 3 patches.........as I said thought I may be imaging things and put a generic on instead of brand..NO Good-

For me- the two (brand & generic) are NOT interchangeable.
Unread 07-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Hi Amar,

I am glad you wrote in. Hopefully others that google vivelle-dot generic will have an option to come to our HysterSisters site and read what we have to say. And then they will add their comments. I would love to hear that someone is doing well on the generic after about 2-3 months on it.

Anyway I think it is the delivery system of the generic. After all it is the delivery system that the brand name patented. They can't patent estradiol itself.

I had tried Climara in the past but did not like the size and the adhesive was itchy for me.

You can read about my experience with the generic v-dot in above posts in this thread if you have not already done so and want to know more.

My cost for brand name went way up after the generic v-dot came out because it is no longer on my insurance company's 'preferred' drug list. It is on the 'non-preferred' list now due to the generic being out there. My co-pay doubled to $160 for a 3-month supply. (Was $80 for same.)

Anyway thanks for sharing your story. We need to stick together!

Unread 08-12-2015, 08:55 AM

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. Everything out including ovaries via Da Vinci robotic surgery.d My doctor said that the generic does not work nearly as well. He was very specific that I use the actual Vivelle Dot brand. Unfortunately I did not realize that the prescription I am taking now is generic. I am getting my new prescription of the non generic today. Hoping I will feel better as right now I have two modes..rage and crying. My family says I am " very intense"..lol. I am also going to have to pay 70 a month instead of 5 now because vivelle dot is not on my insurances preferred list. But I will pay it if it helps me. We shall see..
Unread 08-13-2015, 09:54 AM

Hi Shelci2f

Thank you for sharing with us. My suggestion is to be patient and tolerant with your moods and anxieties. Know that you WILL find peace and ease again. Like anything else it takes awareness and making adjustments until you settle into what works for you. Let us know how you do on the V-dot brand name. I know it costs more but it is worth it to try to see IF it works for you. Once you know then you will just pay the money if you can afford it.

Will your insurance company give you a three month supply (possibly through a mail order pharmacy) at a cheaper cost?

For me it would cost more if I buy the patches locally from my pharmacy by the month. In order to buy a 3 months supply I have to go to the insurance company's preferred mail order pharmacy (a hassle) BUT it costs less. ($160 for 3 months as opposed to $80 a month at the local pharmacy).

By the way it says at the bottom of this email that I am also using testosterone. I did that for awhile but no longer use it. And I am now on 0.05 mg Vilvelle-Dot Brand Name. I still use progesterone cream. I don't know how to change this part of my profile. I am 66 years old and was 54 when I had the surgery.

Best to you,
Chook

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register