Enlarged ovary - cyst or fibroid? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Enlarged ovary - cyst or fibroid? Enlarged ovary - cyst or fibroid?

Unread 05-01-2002, 06:25 PM
Enlarged ovary - cyst or fibroid?

HI. I was to the Dr. on Monday for my first "yearly" visit since my TAH last May. Recently I had begun having almost like a pinching (for lack of a better word) on what I guess was my ovaries. (It was right where my scar is - I had a bikini line incision) So, she does the exam and says my L ovary is enlarged about 3x what it is supposed to be. She made it sound encouraging that it was soft like a cyst, not hard like a fibroid - which was what engulfed my uterus. My question is, what is the difference between a cyst and a fibroid? I guess I am not very well versed on the cyst lingo. I got so caught up in fibroid jargon that I think I may have overlooked any information on cysts. I am relatively worried that I am going to need my ovaries out too. I am only 28 and not really prepared to go through menopause yet. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or are cysts and fibroids kind of the same monster?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2002, 09:58 PM

Tammy: I dont know what the difference is between a cyst & a fibroid but i wanted to "bump" this up in hopes that another sister will come along soon who knows.
's

Susan
Unread 05-02-2002, 07:07 AM

i don't know too much aobut fibroids, just that their not supposed to be there. i had a swollen ovary. there are a few reasons ovaries swell, one of which is a cyst. cysts are normal to a certain extent. when we ovulate a cyst develops on the ovary when or as the egg is released. sometimes the egg gets kind of stuck and the cyst just grows. it is good news that she thinks the cyst is soft...a hard one can also indicate a tumor...which is what i had. i had a transvaginal ultrasound done to take a better look at it. i know sometimes the dr will just watch a soft cyst for a couple of months to see if it disappears on it's own, but i would ask for the trans ultra sound just to ease your mind. my tumor turned out to be benign and i am so thankful for that but it did cause me to have a complete and total hysterectomy. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Fibroids

I thought fibroids were only on the uterus. I know I had many there. I also have had (and do have) cyst on my ovary. My doctor did't seem concerned about the one on the remaining ovary. It is probably just a simple cyst. I worry about losing my ovary too.

Good luck with your cyst. Has your doctor recommended a laparascopy or does he just want to watch?

By the way are you the TNT that you use to post on the ACME Dog Bulletin Board. There use to be someone that posted on there with the initials TNT whose name was Tammy.
Unread 05-02-2002, 12:35 PM

Hi,
I had a problem with a swollen ovary prior to my hyst. I had adhesions on the fallopian tube that was connected to that ovary. I had pulling, burning pain in the area of the ovary that would sometimes turn into a stabbing kind of pain. I had the adhesions removed and the pain went away. So did the swelling. When I had my hyst, my tubes were removed, but the ovary stayed. Not all swelling, or even cysts lead to removal of the ovary. Some cysts disappear on their own.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register