Found! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-02-2002, 09:21 AM
Found!

I'm all geared for the second opinion (note my earlier 'sniff sniff post).

Called my gen physician this morning, we had a good talk & he had already entertained the suspicion that Dr K wasn't the one for me. We're going for a Dr. M. Gen even called him & discussed my case with him. Dr. M is not so sure about keeping the cervix, but it was said that it is my body & my choice. Thank you.

In the meantime, I get a call from Dr K's nurse.......Dr. K will do the supracervical. She was shocked when I said we'd sure keep that in mind, but have opted for a second opinion....& not just on the cervix issue. She couldn't understand why I would need a second opinion. I said to be doing something this drastic at my age withOUT a second opinion should worry anyone. (oohhh I was feeling so strong right then!!). She said to let them know what I decide & I told her she could count on it. I've left my surgery scheduled with them.

Now what?

I'm anxious for the appointment on Tuesday & I guess I'll make my final decision next week. Would be much easier to stay with Dr K just because it's a 2-1/2 hour drive versus a 4 hour one, but health is more important than mileage. & 'I'm still not entirely sure if I trust him.

Thank you for your support!

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 10:04 AM
Found!

You go, girl!!!

It is VERY empowering to realize that WE control our health decisions!!!! I'm really proud of you for seeking another opinion and for standing up for yourself. You didn't allow anyone to intimidate you, and that is great.

I think you're 100% right...feeling comfortable and in control is definitely more important than the mileage. I'd say see the 2nd dr., see what that opinion is, and then sit down again and talk with your own doc. I know you will make the right decision for YOU!!!

s

Karen
Unread 05-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Good for you!

Robin,

I'm so happy for you! You are doing the right thing. It's your body, and your cervix, therefore it's your decision. You're on your way to making he right decision for Y.O.U!

Congrats! You go girl!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Found!

Yay Robin!

Make sure to keep us posted as to what happens!!

Sara
Unread 05-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Found!

Maybe it's because of my 'happy pill' (bless my Gen!!) but I feel like.......

This is what it feels like when you take charge. I tend to be a take charge kind of a person & don't take 'no' or 'brickwalls' very well..........so much for Dr K - he musta met his match! Let's home Dr M has more respect for me & my research & opinions.

What a rush!

Couldn't have done it without you s

Robin
Unread 05-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Way to go Robin

Wow!! What a woman!! You are absolutely right to have as many opinions as you need! I went for my second and now I'm returning to the first, and following his advise. It has just so happened that several people I know are using the same Gyn and really have wonderful things to say about him.
Now if I can just find the time to include this excursion in my summer plans.??
Have a Great Day!!
:usflag:
Unread 05-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Found!

Robin,

Thank goodness you are seeking a second opinion! Way to go!

Aren't 'happy pills' just wonderful?
Unread 05-06-2002, 07:38 PM
Found!

I'm off to the 'wizard' (aka 'second opinion') tomorrow. We'll see what kind of gremlins he'll come up with - tee-hee!

Actually, I'm much calmer this time...I have copies of my sonograms & all of my reports... a list of my questions....documentation of my menstrual cycle & symptoms....list of meds & vitamins I'm on.....I think I'm set. Oh yes, also added my 'happy pills' & club soda (for my nausea)....also need some 'protection' as I'm on the last day or 2 of my LAST (hope. hope.) period. Hope it doesn't bother the doc 'cause I'm sure as heck not going to be bothered by it!!!

Listen to me - I'm almost giddy!

Now, what should I wear? Hubster wants to take me out to lunch & a bit of shopping before my appointment.....want to look nice...

We'll be traveling 4 hours to see Dr. M - please everyone - pray that he'll be the one!

s
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:15 AM
Found!

I'm really happy that you are taking control. By the way, my opinion, for what it's worth, is that I wouldn't be very comfortable letting a doctor who clearly would prefer to take the cervix (Dr. K) do my surgery if you want to keep it. For one thing, if he generally takes it, then he probably doesn't have much experience with leaving it and may not be the best surgeon to do the job. For another, you will certainly be required to sign something that says that if they feel they have to take it, you will give them the authority to make that decision. Do you really want Dr. K to make that kind of decision for you, knowing that he's against keeping it? I wouldn't. I know the new guy is 4 hours away, but sounds like you would be much better with him!
Unread 05-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Found!

Hello sisters!

I found the doctor~!! Dr. M is THE one!

He was very gentle, very understanding, answered ALL of our questions, was comfortable discussing ALL of my options - even the 'challenging' ones. He actually brought up the possible option of 'saving' my uterus despite the large growth & mysterious thickened lining. "It would be a challenge, but if you want to......"

He also said he saw no reason to take my cervix if I didn't want it to go - really didn't matter one way or another in my case. He prefers sutures to cauterizing that area though.

We discussed surgery options that were not only borderline feasible for my particular situation - but would have been 'challenging' for the physician. Bottomline - healthy tissue stays & the least invasive procedure possible is the goal.

& he's going to do his best to save my BOTH my ovaries (as much of each as possible) if possible (we're still dealing with the possibility of ovarian cancer). But....just in case....he was sure that we discussed HRT options. & though Premarin has been around for ages & is typically the 'drug of choice' - he would prefer to try something else for me....something made from soy versus horse urine. & it's my option whether to go with a patch or pills - any advice?

Also, & this was the BIG deciding factor for hubster, Dr. M believes in aggressive pain management & I will have 'the pump' for the first 24 hours (unlike Dr. K who said the pump was abused more than actually helped the patient), then pills as I need them. Also, I'll have the option of a sedative & epidural OR general anesthesia. Dr. K was 'general or forget it.' Opinions on anesthesia??

Sisters - this is it! My official surgery date is June 7 & the castle is 4 hours away. Any hints for the looooong trip home would be most appreciated! We do have a van - so that will help.

I couldn't believe how different Dr. M was from Dr. K... & Dr. M had been one of Dr. K's surgery teachers - interesting. Regardless, Dr. M spoke to hubster & I as educated, 'with-it' human beings - instead of low-life nobodies who had to take The Doctor's word for it all.

I feel so good about my decision - & thanks to everyone who gave me the kick in the pants to go get a second opinion & thanks to all who e-mailed me to tell me about their specific doctors in my area.

If there's anyone in the Wichita area looking for a gyn - let me know. I've been to so many doctors & gyns in my lifetime (comes from moving around....) & have never met anyone quite like this. He rivals my gen phys (who was also one of Dr. M's students at one time).

Oh, and one more thing, Dr. M's examining table was ~heated~ - so nice!

Here I am sisters, officially a LIW.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register