Got some questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got some questions Got some questions

Unread 05-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Got some questions

Hi sisters, I have a couple of questions. I went to the dr today to set everything in motion for my TAH/RSO, LSO done 13 years ago. I am trying to get a date in June because there is just too much going on to do it any sooner. I have to call tomorrow to set that up, but while at the dr he informed me that insurance companies are a real pain in the behind and that they want me to have a pelvic ultrasound, more bloodwork and an endometrial biopsy done. In the last 13 years I have had a laparoscopy done and the full horizontal cut for a hysterectomy but they only took left tube and ovary because I was only 21 years old and wanted desperately to try and have another baby. They attempted to clean up all the problems in there but basically told me I would be lucky if I lasted 10 years before everything had to go. Well I have lasted almost 14 years and can't take anymore.

My dr has me taking bcp's continuously to stop periods until surgery and I am suffering big time with that. Migraines and mood swings something awful. I have PMS worse then before right now and the cramps are unbearable. I informed him of this and he put me on Sarafem. He told me many of his patients have had great success with this. He also gave me Celebrex to try and control pain from headaches and cramping. Has anyone else ever taken these drugs and if so how were they for you?

I have had regular ultrasounds many times before but have never had a pelvic ultrasound, nor have I ever had an endometrial biopsy. I have had cone biopsies and cryosurgery though. Dr told me it is totally different. Has anyone had these tests and can you tell me what I am in for. What the dr described to me about the biopsy, I have to say I am not happy. You can knock me out and do whatever you want, but when I have to be awake I am a big wimp.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell I am beginning to get a little nervous. I told my dr to screw the insurance company, if they want a piece of my uterine lining they can have the whole flipping thing after the surgery. Why do I have to go through more pain and discomfort. Sorry, for being so long winded and all over the map here. I told you I am a complete hormonal mess and I haven't started any medications yet.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 02:45 PM
Biopsy

Hi Donna,

I had an endometrial biopsy about a month ago, my second in three years.

It wasn't too bad. It's rather like a pap test, but they dialate your cervix and take a small snip of tissue from your uterus. You may feel mild cramping while the procedure is being performed (it takes about 10 minutes to do) and may have some cramping and spotting for a couple of days afterwards. Compared to childbirth, it is very minor discomfort, more like menstrual cramps than anything. My biggest complaint through the whole thing was that the speculum was freezing! I accused the doc of keeping it in the refrigerator!

The pelvic ultrasound, if it's like the one I had three years ago when my fibroids were diagnosed, is just a regular ultrasound. You drink what seems like a gallon of water, then they run the ultrasound device over your abdomen for a while, then finally let you up to go to the bathroom. (And by that time, you'll need to!!) Not bad at all, except for the full bladder.

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

s to you!

Lisa
Unread 05-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Got some questions

JetGirl,

What is it that you have? Endo? I had adeno and did already have an endometrial biopsy and pelvic ultrasound before a hyst was even discussed, so I do not know if the ins company would have required this...the pelvic ultrasound is no biggie...the biopsy is a little uncomfortable....just crampy, I guess...I had mine done and went straight to work afterwards, so it did not bother me only when doing the procedure, just felt like bad cramps....I guess it would depend on your diagnosis....on what they want you to do first...with adeno, you can not diagnose 100% with an ultrasound or biopsy, but with fibroids or something of that nature I think you can! My insurance company approved within minutes and did not have to have anything but some bloodwork done first! Hope all works out for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 03:23 PM
Got some questions

Sarafem is Prozac, an antidepressant that is used for severe PMS. Celebrex I thought was used for problems with joints, but I could be mistaken. Check on WebMD.com.
Eileen
Unread 05-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Got some questions

I did not have a biopsy done, but I did have a pelvic ultrasound. It was painless. The Dr. lubricated the wand and inserted it into my vagina, it's small enough that you don't need to use a speculum to get it in there. I could feel it moving around inside, but no pain. I have a very large fibroid, and when she pressed against the fibroid with the wand, it felt a bit uncomfortable, a pressure-type of feeling. If I had not had such a large fibroid, I don't think I would have felt any discomfort at all. I would say it was similar to a manual (with the finger) pelvic exam.
Unread 05-02-2002, 03:41 PM
Got some questions

I took the celebrex without any relief from my pain. My doc said it was just approved for pain due to heavy periods. maybe you'll have better luck.
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:48 PM
Thank you all so much!

Thank you everyone for responding. I thought the pelvic ultrasound was internal but I wasn't completely sure. When I had surgery many years ago they found ovarian cysts, and adhesions all over that have caused all my insides to adhere to one another and to some vital organs. They cleaned up as much as they could without causing any permanent damage to my bowel and intestines. The dr wants to see if we are now dealing with fibroids also, but he also told me my insurance company almost requires it before they approve hysterectomy.

The insurance company feels that heavy bleeding, back pain, horrible cramps, painful intercourse, PMS and PMDD is not enough reason to approve surgery. They want to know that everything possible has been done and not worked before they will give the green light.

I have been dealing with different alternatives for almost 14 years. I don't know what else they want. My doctor has all my operative reports with everything in writing and documented so I don't really think we will have a problem, but he wants all bases covered just in case.

I go on the 9th for pelvic ultrasound and my biopsy is scheduled for the 21st. I'm just hoping these tests don't find anything else that I am unaware about. Oh well, I guess it's just another waiting game. Waiting truly is the hardest part.

Thank you all again, I knew I could count on my sisters for information.

Donna
Unread 05-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Got some questions

Hi, folks -

There are several types of ultrasounds you may have. You definitely want to talk to the doctor/hospital to find out which type (s) you will have, because you have different preparation you need to do for them. Hubby & I both work in medical research with ultrasound, and I've also had many of them done over the years.

Generally, these are done by skilled ultrasound technicians, who are trained to give and read ultrasounds, and they'll also probably be reviewed by one of the radiologists. Some places have a policy that they will not tell you anything about what they see, good or bad, so that they don't worry you. So it's not necessarily anything to worry about if they won't tell you what they see. However, they have almost always let me look at the screen as they do the scan and explain what they're seeing.

The first type is a pelvic ultrasound. For this, you need to drink a lot of water before going there - the hospital will tell you exactly how much and exactly when to drink it. They'll put some gel on your tummy area, and the ultrasound probe will be placed outside of your body and moved around.

The other type is a transvaginal ultrasound. For this, you do NOT drink any water at all. A probe will have gel put on it, and then it will be placed in your vagina. I have ALWAYS had the technicians hand me the probe and let me place it, then they take hold of the probe's handle and move it around to view things. Personally, I would ask them to let me insert the probe myself if they didn't ask and moved to put it in - I'd just be more comfortable with that. My best advice on having the probe in you and being moved around is the same advice I got when I was very young and about to have my first internal exam: relax :-).

Sometimes, they will want to do both types, though my recent ones over the last year were all transvaginal, because they can just see more from inside. If they do both, they'll have you drink the water at the appropriate time, do the pelvic scan, and then have you empty your bladder before doing the transvaginal scan.

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register