Help I am scared to death after reading these postings | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help I am scared to death after reading these postings Help I am scared to death after reading these postings

Unread 05-02-2002, 03:36 PM
Help I am scared to death after reading these postings

I just had a 2nd positive pap CIN111 carcinoma with severe dysplasia. I had a cone and a leep done 3 weeks ago. I am scheduled for a Complete Abdominal Hyster. I am so scared I will have bladder problems, hormone problems, healing problems ect.. How long do you have to stay in the hospital, how long is recovery, when can i do things for my family. I am the single mom of 5 kids, 19 (in college) 15,11, and my youngest are 4 year old twins. I have so much to keep up with on my own not sure how to deal with all this. What is with all this catheter stuff? Is it normal to have to come home with a cath? Man not sure this is a good idea!!!

Advice please!!!!

Thanks

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 03:54 PM

s dasil!
Hon, you do have a lot going on in your life right now! First take a deep breath. If an Abdominal Hyst is the recommendation and you agree this is the best thing for you, then the next step is to get prepared! Read as much as you can on the subject and ask lots of questions! Write your questions down as you read and be sure to ask your doctor whenever you are concerned, medically speaking anyway. Is my experience Hyster Sisters is the best place to find out everything else you may need to know!
The HS Home page has drop down menus at the bottom of the page (click on the three princess at top of page to get to the Home Page) You will find many helpful articles there. Next, continue with these boards and keep posting your questions. You can also do a search on specific questions (purple button at the top right)
As far as the cathetar goes, you will have one during surgery and it is generally removed about a day later. Usually the only ones who come home with them are those that have had some bladder repairs during the hyst. I think the average recovery time for abdominal hysts is 8 weeks. That does not mean you are incapacitated for 8 weeks. The first few are the most difficult and you will likely need some help at first or be very prepared especially with your young ones. This is not impossible either. There are many single moms who manage, but it is easier of course if you can get help.
Like I said, keep reading and you will feel better in knowing what you can do and what to expect. These are all known things that you will be able to address. In the meantime, stop in here often for the support you may need from the sisters. They really are a blessing! More s for you...and all the best!
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:07 PM

Lisa,

Listen to your sisters, here. Do take a deep breath and take it just a day at a time. Reading all of these posts can sometimes be overwhelming for all of us. Remember, alot of times we post here because of problems and/or questions. But for a whole lot of more times, people don't post because they are NOT having problems. You are only reading those that do have the problems. Also, I don't know of too many people off hand who felt they were worse off for having the surgery. Sometimes we have felt so bad before the hyst and wanted so badly to feel "great" afterwards. I had my surgery a little over a year ago. I have good days and not so good. But I can tell you, I never regret going through the surgery. I just sometimes like to have a "pity" party all to myself and wish I were younger without any physical problems. Remember, it is important to read the posts about the surgery, what to expect during, right after and in recovery at home. Knowledge is "bliss", but sometimes, if you're like me, you tend to take in too much too soon. My prayers are with you.

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 04:17 PM

Hi Lisa,

I had complete abdominal in January. I had bladder repair and had cath for 10 days. My hospital stay was 5 days. I can honestly say that everything went well and I am doing great. The recovery process is gradual but let your family and friends help you. As women we want to do it all ourselves but let people help you. You will heal faster and then you can be there for them when they need you!
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:35 PM
Thank You all

Guess the jitters are getting the best of me. Why are so many women having bladder repairs? Is this due to problems during the sugery or before surgery? I am 39 by the way, after my 3rd child I started having leakage problems can't do a jumping jack anymore, lol. Will having a hyster make this worse?

Glad I found this site, think I need you all If nothing else for support.

Thank You

Lisa
Unread 05-02-2002, 08:18 PM

I did NOT have an abdominal hyster, but I did have a complete one (everything taken out) last December. I can't take hormones, so I knew I'd be in instant menopause. I was so scared of the unknown.

Wanna know the very worst problem? I DIDN'T TAKE THE TIME TO ENJOY MY STAY AT THE CASTLE! I should have enjoyed being pampered! I wasn't in pain or anything, but I'm such an active person that I didn't stay down!

I did so well that no one treated me much differently. I had my surgery on a Monday, and was at Walmart the next Friday. On Sunday we went to "The Nutcracker." I didn't drive, but my family and friends thought I looked great (I did, actually) so I didn't get my share of being treated like a princess!

The very worst part of it before surgery was......

not knowing what to expect.

I had numerous positive pap smears, and someone on this board referred to her cervix as a "cancer magnet." I thought that was a great description and I LOVE not having that concern. It is still possible to have malignant cells pop up, so you'll get pap smears after your hysterectomy, but you will have eliminated a HUGE risk.

I had a textbook experience. Everything went perfectly and I felt fine. It's really neat not to have to worry about stuff.

The catheter is nothing to worry about. They took mine out the next day or so. It really was nothing.

We have six children, but only three are still at home (the youngest is 7). We homeschool, so I was worried about that. They did FINE without me, which was a bit disconcerting!
Unread 05-02-2002, 08:37 PM

Hi, Lisa!

Like the others said, first take a deep breath!

It's normal to be scared about this procedure. Hospital stays vary. I had a TAH-BSO (that's total abdominal hyst and both ovaries and tubes removed, too). Generally, you have a catheter in for the first day - mine was removed the morning after surgery. Since you will want to be drinking a lot of fluids after you get out of the recovery room, but are not mobile yet to get to the bathroom! It wasn't too bad, really.

I had no bladder problems, no hormone problems, no healing problems! I went in Monday for surgery and came home Wednesday afternoon. I was sitting up the evening of surgery, and walking around the halls the next day (slowly, but I was walking!). Initial recovery is 6-8 weeks, and full recovery 6-12 months. You'll have certain restrictions in those first weeks (lifting - one of the older kid are going to have to lift the twins, housework - especially vacumning, driving, etc.,) The specific timing on there varies, so talk to your doctor. You'll need to rest, do some walking, and drink lots of fluids.

You probably will want to get someone to help with the twins, and to do any driving. Is your surgery going to be after the 19 year old is finished with school for the semester? He or she can help some, as can your next two oldest ones. I took care of my mom after her hysterectomy when I was about 17, and that was long ago, when she had to stay in bed quite a while.

When I got home, I spent much of my time on the recliner in the living room with my feet up. I also did some walking around - I was able to get things out of the fridge, go to the bathroom, etc. In other words, you won't be incapacitated :-)

Do lots of reading and ask questions if you have them!

Cheers,
Unread 05-03-2002, 12:12 AM
HI Dasil

Welcome to Hystersisters

I am so sorry you are facing all of this. I am sure it is especially difficult as a single mom. You will get through this and be just fine. Do you have support to help you with the children during our recovery?

You may want to join us on the Cancer Concerns forum also. There are some wonderful women there who will be happy to answer any questions for you as well.
Here is a link to a recent post with the same diagnosis as yourself.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=59766

I am almost 51 and am about 10 weeks post op now. My surgery and recovery went very well. I am healthy and feeling wonderful. My hormone replacement went pretty smoothly too. I feel better than ever.

Keep reading and posting. And as everyone said take it one day at a time.

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:09 AM

I'm 12 weeks post op and had a very uneventful recovery. My HRT is working fine.

BUT, after reading how other ladies were up and walking laps around the floor almost immediately after surgery, in the beginning I thought I was in for a bad recovery. The 48 hours I was in the hosp the only walking I did was to the bathroom and back to bed. All I wanted to do was sleep. When I went home my DH had forgotten to bring a pillow, I was very surprised that I didn't have any pain from bumps in the road and "jiggles:. When I got home I went straight to bed and slept (pretty well).

The next morning I toddled down the stairs (with DH on the downside just in case), and camped out on the couch. I was able to get up by myself, walk to the bathroom and the kitchen, but a lot of the time I slept. And I was still thinking about the other sisters who said they were doing lots of walking immediately, so now I was worried about gas, etc. I never had any gas pains; constipation was my only complaint, about 7 days after surgery.

The first 2 weeks I needed a lot of rest, but I wasn't bedridden. I was walking around on my own, getting my own juice, etc. Just not doing much of anything else.

I went on my first outing at 2 weeks post, to the grocery store with DH to get a few things, all I did was point and pay, it wiped me out, I had to take a nap as soon as I got home.

2 weeks was the turning point for me, I felt like spending more and more time each day sitting up and moving around and I started doing little things, like folding some laundry, etc. Every day I felt more like myself, but I needed a rest every afternoon until about week 6.

A positive attitude is VERY important. You need to know the possible complications so you're not unaware should you have one of them, but if you believe that everything is going to go smoothly and try not to worry (easier said than done) you will have a much easier surgery & recovery. Faith and trust in GOD and your DR is important.

Good luck!
Unread 05-03-2002, 04:57 AM
Lisa

WELCOME, Sweetie just sit there for a moment and take a buig slow deep breath..... now let iit out real slow. Again..................
Ok, now try real hard to calm your mind. I can see your mind is going at a million miles and hour.
I do feel for you and what you are going through at the moment. Hun lets just slow it abit and try to take one thing at a time. You are going to be fine, you must try to keep positive thoughts going through yourmind. I know that where you are right now it is very hard to but mate it so helps if you can.
Remember your DR has your best interests at heart and is doing what is best for you.
I had LAVH/RSO and bladder repair in Sep of last year. I am nearly 8 months post and it was the best thing I have ever had done. I am feeling great and only a little bit of annoying insomnia.
My hospitol stay was 5 days but I am in New Zealand and it was because of the very large bladder repair that I stayed in that long. My surgery went fine, I had no actual pain after as I had enough pain meds. just felt a little uncomfortable and abit of backache. My recovery was a little longer because of the bladder repair. You will feel pretty tierd when you come home and if at all possible try to get someone to help for the first two weeks or so. A neighbour friend family member or even a church group. The older children will need to know that mum needs lots of rest and that they can help around the house etc.
Yes it is normal to come home with a cath, it is usually only in for the first 2 or three days.
Please read all the pull down menus and even pop in to chat, we would love to see you there. There is always alot of support here from many many woman who are more than willing to give their support help and a shoulder. Please try to take things one day at a time, keep coming here, post any questions that you have and we will all be here for you. Hugs Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register