Anyone Watch The Show "Home Improvement"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone Watch The Show "Home Improvement"? Anyone Watch The Show "Home Improvement"?

Unread 05-02-2002, 04:59 PM
Anyone Watch The Show "Home Improvement"?

Anyone watch the show "Home Improvement"?
Hi Ladies. I watch this show on and off. Tonight I decided to watch it because of the topic of the show. Tim's wife, Jill was having some monthy problems so she went to see the gyn. Gyn did his exam, etc and discovered Jill had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit. When the show ended, Jill was in the OR and they were closing her up (they did a TAH). The alarms were beeping cause she was going into shock. It is a 2 part show, so tomorrow night at 6 p.m. cst it will be continued with her going home.

Ladies, this show made me teary eyed. Just thinking of what we all go through with this type of surgery and recovery. It protrayed EXACTLY what happens. If you still have time, watch it. If not, I have pretty much detailed what the main focus of the show was. If you can, watch tomorrow nights show ~ the continuation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 05:03 PM

What channel??

Caren
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:04 PM

Hi, Amy,

I haven't seen the show, but I think it's important to point out that the vast majority of women who have a hysterectomy do not go into shock. Ever.

TV shows are often much more dramatic than real life. Yes, hysterectomy is major surgery, and some women do experience complications.

Most women who have a hysterectomy recover well, and go on to lead normal, happy lives. Those lives are usually missing the pain and bleeding which cause most of us to choose a hysterectomy.

So enjoy your TV, but please remember that it's just that. TV often does not resemble real life.

Sending optimistic, healing hugs,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 05:09 PM

Princessh,

You are very right about that. Thank you for pointing that out. I should of had mentioned that.
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:38 PM

Dear Amy,
I don't want to spoil your t.v. viewing so if you don't want to know what happens on the show tomorrow, don't continue to read this.......

This show is a repeat that I've actually seen several times. To the best of my memory, the next show makes very little of Jill going into shock, she's just fine. They do touch upon Jill's displeasure about having her ovaries removed and at the end of the half hour show, Jill is back to her normal routine. I don't remember them making much to do about her recovery time either but how much can they do with only a half an hour show!

If my memory is a little off, please forgive me. I'm glad that the show actually thought enough of the subject to do it but I think it really glazes over most of the issues. In any event, my family and I just love Tim Taylor....huh, huh huh.......Take Care XXXLolly
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:44 PM

I saw the show, just by coincidence! I never watch it and was feeling bad with a headache and flipped the tv on. I was surprised because of the topic. But I remember watching it several years ago. Timely. But shock is so rare.
Unread 05-02-2002, 06:16 PM
Sorry

I realize now that I shouldn't of have even posted this.
Unread 05-02-2002, 06:31 PM

Amy, don't say that! Actually, I have seen that two-part episode quite a few times, and other than Jill having a complication in surgery, it was very accurate. It portrayed Jill having put off her surgery because of other things (how many of us can cop to THAT one?); not having had an exam in over two years; describing her problems to Tim - and then in a very funny scene following that, going into more detail with one of her friends - it really showed the 'guy' reaction to that kind of talk; Tim's discomfort with the subject; the boys' (and Tim's!) worries and confusion over the surgery; the second part deals with hormone issues. As I recall it doesn't 'gloss over' recovery or post-op symptoms, but you have to remember, they only have a half hour - 22 minutes actually - in each episode.

Home Improvement tackled a very sensitive issue, and I think Tim Allen and the rest of the writers and actors handled it very well, and I might add, very realistically given their time constraints. Jill having a shock reaction depicted a rare complication, but it CAN happen nonetheless, and of course they needed the cliffhanger so the could segue to part two (gotta keep that audience interested).

My two cents - two thumbs up to Home Improvement for this story line.

Unread 05-02-2002, 06:57 PM

I only saw the second part several weeks after my surgery. Without saying to much about the second part I do remember thinking to myself that Jill was not doing what she is supposed to be doing. Her husband Tim is very supportive. Don't forget to pamper yourself after surgery. It's very important.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register