newbie (long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

newbie (long) newbie (long)

Unread 05-02-2002, 09:10 PM
newbie (long)

Hi folks, you really don't have to read it all, but I just felt like I needed to write it all down. I'm 45 living in NJ. I support web sites at a large medical university and am a sometimes maybe used to was PhD student in English Lit. I go in for the TAH/BSO on Tuesday. eeeeek!

Here's how it all happened for me. 2.5 years ago I fell and hurt my hip. Because I have mild lupus (lupus lite, I call it) my rheumie sent me for an xray just to be careful. Hip was fine but a calcification showed up on my right ovary.

About that time I (was in perimenopause) had a three week bleed. ICK! I went to my (at that time new) gyn and she sent me for an ultrasound for the ovary and then said she was going to do a endo biopsy. I'm not quite sure what happened, but it hurt like hell (and I'm pretty used to pain). She stopped mid way because she was afraid that I'd pass out, but then continued. Afterwards she informed me that she "couldn't get in" and had to do a D&C. (No warning and nothing at all for pain????) She charged me 1,200.00 for it, so either she did it and shouldn't have, or didn't do it and charged me for it. She finally called me two months later and I *THINK* she said the bx was ok. I was so angry I could hardly listen.

Off I went to find a new gyn. Found one I love an hour and a half away (I work for a huge hospital group and yet am going outside that to find this gem). We've been doing a watch and wait Ultrasound every 6 months on the ovary. This last time I was three months late. Heck it had been two years and nuttin. Same again this time, only now the uterus was enlarged. Yeah, I had supposedly passed into the bliss of menopause, but... well I just figured my system was playing games.

I didn't even have an appt with the doc that day. It was supposed to just be a US. But the tech called the doc in and she did the biopsy then and there. Two weeks later she called on a Sunday to say they'd found some cancer cells. My first words to her were "Lets get that puppy outa there!"

That was three weeks ago. I've been to the gyn/onc and am waiting for Tuesday. The cells look like well differentiated stuff of the endometrial variety. I guess the nagging fear I have is that they may have something to do with the thing on the ovary.

I've posted my questions on the pre-op board. Otherwise, I'm just nervous and waiting. The one question you folks may be able to answer is how long before I know the path results after the surgery? Waiting really is not my favorite thing.

Hat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 10:55 PM
newbie (long)

Hiya Hat!

Welcome to Hystersisters and here on the Cancer Concerns forum. While I'm glad you found us, I wish you weren't having to deal with this.

I'm so glad you were able to find a Dr you both feel comfortable with and that will work "for" you! That's so important!

My situation differed in that my "flavor" of cancer was Ovarian but I'll share my experience with you anyway, there are several gals who dealt with Endometrial or Uterine that will be along shortly, I'm sure.

Anyway, as far as the ovary is concerned, sometimes "some" Dr's will leave the ovaries so long as they are healthy. Others consider it a risk to leave them if cancer is present in any of the reproductive system and will perform the BSO at the time of surgery.

With the pathology results, at least in my case, they performed the pathology at the time of my surgery. My Gyn/Oncologists was the primary surgeon and once several of the sections he sent off for preliminary pathology readings were read, he then proceeded with the staging procedures. The only thing that differed from the intial reading was the stage. Before I woke up, they told my sister they thought the stage was II, when they were read again, it was determined that it was actually stage III. I was given those results the day following my surgery once I wasn't so affected by the happy drugs.

I wish you the best for your upcoming surgery and hope that the area affected is small and no spread is involved. Please keep us updated on how it goes when you can. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers for good news for you.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 05-02-2002, 11:18 PM
newbie (long)

I was able to get the preliminary report the day of surgery. (acutally, I was too groggy, and my family heard). My DR talked to me the next day. The final report was in within a week.
Best wishes to you!
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 11:41 PM
Hi theHat

Welcome to Cancer Concerns

I too went to the doctor for about a 3 week bleed. I am 50. Fortunately she did an endo biopsy right away (yes, it hurt like the devil.) That was on Christmas Eve. So it was after the holidays that I got called in and told it was Endometrial Cancer.
Usually Endo Cancer like mine is caught very early because we do go to the doctor right away and complain about annoying periods. Endo cancer is a very slow growing cancer and it is a contained cancer. In other words it will usually stay in the lining of the uterus for a very long time before it invades any other organs including the uterus itself. A hysterectomy is the cure. My biopsy had indicted it was a Grade 1 and the pathology report after my surgery gave the same results and grade. I do not need any further treatment such as chemo or radiation. We are the lucky ones.
Many of us have also had ovarian cysts and fibroids at the same time, myself included, and my pathology came back fine on all of that. I would seriously doubt that the endometrial cancer cells they have found have caused anything on the ovaries or visa versa. Obviously I am not a doctor, that is just my opinion from everything I have read and learned in my journey.
I received my pathology report while I was still in the hospital about 3 days after my surgery.
I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if we can answer anything else.
By the way, I feel fantastic. It is nice to have this all behind me and not to worry about any of it anymore. Life is good on the other side.
Unread 05-04-2002, 03:03 AM
newbie (long)

Hi there Hat,

Just want to send you lots of hugs and prayers. I hope all goes really well on Tuesday.

You guys in the US seem to get your path reports back real quick. I had to go back at just under 3 weeks for mine. Luckily, I did have a good idea that they thought they had got everything though, as the surgeon came to see me immediately after my op and told me that it all went really well and that, although we wouldn't know for sure until the results were back, he couldn't see anything coming from the womb and there was no fluid outside it - which is apparently a very good sign. When I finally went back for the results, he told me they were 'as expected'. (I don't know what they can tell about the state of the ovaries, though I know you often get fluid with ovarian cancer as well.)

Do you know what kind of incision you are having? I was told that if they do a vertical cut they can have a better look around and see what is going on. They also like to paint around in there with something to deal with any stray cells which might be floating around.

Once again, lots and lots of luck for Tuesday.

Unread 05-04-2002, 05:24 AM
Thanks muchly!

Hi all, thanks for all the support and info!

Seashelly, the second biopsy proved to me that what I had the first time was NOT just a biopsy. I still can't believe she did that to me. However....Yeah, biopsy was no phun either <G> Lotso cramps for the next couple of weeks after that.

Channeal, In the small world department. Just as I was waiting for your message to load, I was opening a snail mail from a friend in Brighton who was sending good wishes. Seems I have my own special Brighton cheering section! In answer to your question, I'm having a vertical incision. One of my friends suggested I have a zipper pull tattooed just below the navel so the scar could become body art <G>. Hmmm I could think of better ways to get body modification!

Vicki, They've already said they'll take the ovaries. They're pretty sure the thing on my right ovary is a dermoid (probably a tooth growing there! ick!! Wonder what Freud would say about that!) and though they rarely become cancerous, it does happen every so often. Best be done with it!

tjm, thanks for the info

Oh and in the midst of all of this I was told my job was in danger and have been doing phone interviews for a position 3000 miles away in California. Life does get interesting, doesn't it!

Stress? me? nawwwwww not at ALL!
Unread 05-06-2002, 02:37 PM
newbie (long)

Hi Hat! My Dr. told me right after surgery he thought everything was okay, just by what he saw. The full report was in a week. Good Luck in the morning, we'll be standing by when you feel like posting.
Unread 05-06-2002, 02:46 PM
newbie (long)

HI there Hat, yes life does sometimes get very interesting . I hope all goes well for you on Tuesday. Pleas keep us posted on what is happening, there is no need to go through all of this alone. Sending love and hugs across to you x x x
Unread 05-06-2002, 05:17 PM
newbie (long)

Good luck tomorrow Hat, we'll be thinking about you! My surgery was last Wed and we got the {wonderful} results Sat. morning.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register