Graphic questions... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Graphic questions... Graphic questions...

Unread 05-03-2002, 03:15 AM
Graphic questions...

Sorry ladies but I have a question it is pretty graphic in nature, but, I really want to know an answer and I thought you all may be able to help.

I am scheduled for a TAH the middle of May for endo., very HEAVY bleeding, and possible adeno. I have very painful bowel movements right before and during my period. This morning I had a very painful bowel movement and shot my tampon right out of my cervix. Is this normal? Should I have been able to do this? I have noticed lately that my tampons don't feel very secure while in place, I just thought this was maybe because I was soaking them sooo quickly that they became heavy or something. Anyway, just wanted to know if this is related to anything.

Thanks,
Patrice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:00 AM
Graphic questions...

Hi Patrice --
I had a TAH/BSO 1/5/01 for a cyst on my left ovary and huge fibroids, my uterus was full of them. They didn't know until the surgery that I was also loaded with endo and adeno.
Used to be my periods didn't last all that long compared to what I've heard from some women -- once they got started they'd last about 3 or 4 days -- but the first two days would be extremely heavy and I would get very constipated and have painful bowel movements during that time also. Turned out the endo had attached to my bowel. I'm not saying this is your problem -- remember I'm not a doctor -- but that is what my problem was.
Anyway as far as the tampon thing the same thing happened to me several times, I felt that it was because I was pushing so hard to try to have a bowel movement because I was so uncomfortable. I don't know about whether or not it's normal (
) but just wanted you to know it happened to me too.
By the way I did not have any problems during recovery because of this and I'm a year and a half post-op now and feel better than I have in years!
Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
Ann
Unread 05-03-2002, 04:50 AM
Graphic questions...

Thanks for you reply. I should have stated in my first post that I'm not constipated at all.....the pain is more like cramping and contractions and my bowel movements themselves are very soft. So I'm not straining at all with them so that is why I was wondering about the tampon thing.

Thanks,
Patrice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:57 AM
Graphic questions...

i had the tampon problem too. i could fit two inside and they would often go sideways. coughing or sneezing could send them flying out. i gave up on tampons 3 years ago and started using "Instead", or as my husband refers to them as "blood cups". they look exactly like diaphragms; they fit over the cervix and collect the blood. you could wear them for up to 12 hours (i couldn't with my flow, but...). they were comfortable, and really worked. you could only get them in CVS. only problem with them (which didn't bother me at all) was that when you had to take them out, it was messy. but you figure out ways when you have problems like we do.

anyway, had tah on 3/27 -- no more periods -- YEAH! i feel real good now, and even hope to go back to waitressing 3 days a week sometime in the next 10 days.

you are not alone!

Luv,

SueK
Unread 05-03-2002, 05:03 AM
Patrice

Hugs. I had alot of problems with tampons. I had a severe prolapse of the uterus and bladder. My bowel had also fallen abit so using tampons becme a mission LOL. Six months before my surgery i just gave up and went to pads. My uterus had dropped so badly that i could not even insert tampons, and when i did manage it i would stand up only to have them fall straight back out. You may also have a prolapse of if the bowel movements are very painful it could be your bowel prolapsing. try not to get constipated in any way. Your DR should be informed of the trouble you are having. After my hyst it was sooooo different and great. Everything was pulled up to where it was supposed to be and it looked and felt so much better. let us know how it all goes. hugs Vicki
Unread 05-03-2002, 07:17 PM
Graphic questions...

PLamb

Your symptoms sound just like mine! I have painful bowel movements with my period, They tend to start out constipated and then......gush. Pretty bad!

I had trouble with tampons a few years ago because it caused a bowel blockage that I had to go to the ER for.

I tried the Instead and they worked pretty well. You do have to develop the knack for removing them, though. It takes practice. If you are a heavy bleeder, you need to change them as often as a tampon but they didn't interfere too badly with my bowels. I had trouble finding them after my first box but would use them again, if I didn't have to cross the arctic ice and plod across the african grasslands to find them.

Good luck!
Unread 05-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Graphic questions...

I have only just begun the hystorectomy process and just found this website today so please forgive me if I do not use the correct lingo. I also have the painful bowel movements during my periods. My periods usually last 15-20 days. During those days when I do have a BM it makes me feel like I am going to throw up and I get very dizzy. I did not relate this to any of my other problems thank you for the information.

Mandy

Unread 05-04-2002, 06:37 AM
Graphic questions...

Patrice,

I had my TVH done on 4/23. Just a couple days before my pre-op appointment with doc, I noticed my cervix was 'right there'. I mentioned this to her, and she did a pelvic exam. Said I had a prolapse. When I was under general anesthesia, she said it was worse that before at pre-op appointment. My body was relaxed and she was able to see the prolapse much easier.

I never related the problems I had with tampons and trying to keep them in till now. They would either push themselves out a tiny bit, or the flow would go right past em (and my cycles weren't very heavy).

Check with you doc on this. Let s/he know what is going on. Best wishes.
Unread 05-04-2002, 06:49 AM
Tampons slipping

This is amazing. I also bleed passed <sp> my tampons <the clots always manage to slide by...sorry for the graphics>. And my tampons have felt like they don't stay in place. I also thought it was due to my flow, but the tampons are soaked when I remove them after having an accident. I even thought it was the brand I was using! What a relief to know I wasn't the only one. You never know what might come up on this here message board! LOL
Unread 05-04-2002, 07:42 AM
Thanks to all who responded

My doc never mentioned anything prolasped....would this be something he would feel right away?? And since he hasn't mentioned anything, should I assume everything is in the right place??

Patrice

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register