Everytime I think..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Everytime I think..... Everytime I think.....

Unread 05-03-2002, 06:32 AM
Everytime I think.....

About going to the hospital I throw up (sorry). I am having my hysterectomy May 7th at 7:15 and I am scared to death. What if I don't wake up that is my biggest fear. Oh, god in heaven help me. Do they have meds to give if you don't wake up in time??? I know I probly sound crazy but I'm not really. Help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 07:22 AM
Everytime I think.....

(((Darlene)))))
Try to relax, and take some deep breaths. Thats such a common fear. And I just bet you are going to wake up exactly when you are suppose too, like all of us did!! Its the most amazing feeling. I was out for 2 1/2 hours, but it seemed like 5 minutes. Truly it did!! Make sure you let your anesthesiologist and surgeon know of your concerns about this the morning of surgery and I am sure they will be able to ease your mind.
Wishing you the very best Darlene!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 05-03-2002, 07:53 AM
This Is Normal

I've read so many posts on this. Anesthesia is much different (and safer) than it used to be and you will be carefully monitored in many ways (heart rate, blood pressure, etc.) all during surgery. Be sure to mention these fears to the anesthetist before surgery and I'm sure he/she will be able to discuss then with you. If it's really bad, ask your doctor now for some anxiety-relieving medication for this time period--don't be afraid to call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Everytime I think.....

Darlene this is a perfectly normal fear when facing the hysterectomy. I think it is almost as bad as the worry of "cancer head" .

When you are under the anaesthetic, the anaethetist monitors you closely . I agree with margaret, if the anxiety is too hard to handle , ask for something to take now to calm you down.

You will eventually reach a 'state of calm ' before the surgery and all will be well sending you love and hugs x x x
Unread 05-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Everytime I think.....

A friend of mine was very anxious before her hysterectomy and her surgeon called in a small order of Xanax (anti-anxiety medication) for her. She was to take one the night before and one the day of her surgery. This helped her alot.

Like the others have said, we've all woke up so will you! They do so many surgeries on people who are very sick, elderly and debilitated and they make it through. So yours will be a piece of cake for them! THey have so much life saving equipment in the operating room that it is amazing. It really will be okay. Let them take care of you. I found they really know their stuff.
Unread 05-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Everytime I think.....

(((Darlene)))

I totally understand how you feel. I had never been under anesthesia before my hyst. The day before my knees knocked so bad my DH thought I was having seizures!!!

I did call and ask for a xanax - I took one the day before, and was told I could take one the morning of, but I didn't need it - I got very calm. I had another mini panic right in the room they put you in before they wheel you to the OR, but my darling nurse and dotor put their arms around me and stroked my hair until the anesthesia started (just a minute). The next thing I knew that same darling nurse was teaching me how to work my pain pump!! Maria is right - it seems like just a moment.

Check in with us as often as you need to until your big day-- and then let us know how it goes. We are here to and

Dorrie
Unread 05-04-2002, 04:36 AM
we can be nervous together

Hey there Darlene!
I'm going in on the 7th too. I've done the going under bit twice before in my life. Though I admit that I HATE the shocky feeling when I wake up, I much prefer it over the being half awake for surgery (done that too).

Meanwhile, let's be nervous together. Though I'm not very fond of being knocked out, I guess my biggest worry is what I'll wake up to. Just hope the surgery gets the cancer out!

Love and hugs to you. Let's make a date to meet here afterwards! Email me in the meantime if you'd like. I'll be here running like crazy trying to get stuff done in time.
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Everytime I think.....

OH DARLENE,
PLEASE CALM YOURSELF. YOU SOUND JUST LIKE I DID WHEN I
HAD TO GO IN.
MY BIGGEST FEAR WAS ( WHAT IF I DON'T WAKE UP? )
OH, MY I KNOW THAT FEELING SO WELL. YOUR GOING TO
WAKE UP DEAR LADY!!!! YOU WILL FOR SURE!!!
PLEASE TALK TO THE ANESTHESIOLOGIST, HE WILL CALM
YOU AND MAKE YOU RELAX. IN THE MEANTIME TRY AND GET SOME XANAX AS THE OTHERS HAVE SAID. THIS WILL CALM YOU DOWN AND IT EVEN MAKES YOU THINK BETTER SOME HOW.
PLEASE , I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE FEELING. TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND RELAX, YOUR GOING TO BE AWAKE IN NO TIME.
Unread 05-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Anxiety and fear

Whoa girl!!!

I had the same terrifying fears, and do each time I have undergone anesthesia. Be sure to talk with your anesthesiologist before the surgery and discuss your fears. Ask what anesthesia will be used, ask him what they do in case something goes awry, knowing these things will help. They can do much to relieve them, psycologically and physically with valium or something if you are a total nervous wreck.

But, I have done some serious reading this past year and here is something that may help you even more. I read in several places that people who mediate, pray and visualize successful surgeries recoup faster, heal faster, bleed less and have fewer side effects! Try Focusing on postive thoughts and visualize being healed to help replace the fears. So, on my last surgery I tried it. The next morning I got right up outta bed unassisted (on my previous surgery they couldn't get me up for 4 days and then had to send the Heartless master sargeant nurse to literally drag me out!). My dr. could not believe how upright I walked and easily I moved. So- I wonder if there isn't something to it??? Maybe some others have had great benefits from positive thinking, prayer and meditation!!! My thoughts and prayers will be with you on the 7th! Take care of yourself!!
Unread 05-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Everytime I think.....

I'm sending you calming, peaceful healing thoughts your way from Minnesota. I think most of us can totally relate to your fear about not waking up. It was really on the top of my list, too. The nurses and the anesthesiologist were very reassuring. I was given some type of a cocktail in my iv and that was before the anesthesia. That sedated me before the anesthesia kicked in. Have you ever done any yogic breathing? Pay attention to your breathing when you're worried. Are you taking shallow breaths? Try inhaling through your nose to the count of 4; then hold your breath to the count of 7 & exhale through pursed lips to the count of 8. This is very calming and can help you if you're hyperventilating. (Best not to breathe like this for more than 4-5 breaths every 15 minutes, though. This caution advised because it can make you feel light headed if you overdo it, but it IS very calming!)

I will pray for your safe surgery.
Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register