Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:34 PM
Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters

I saw a previous post regarding singers but haven't seen a lot of posts from serious singers who can share the effects of changes in the voice after hysterectomy. Please post and let us know!

Didi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 05:59 PM

Hi Didi,

I'm not on HRT, so I cannot say that my voice changed. Just wanted to drop in and say hiya to you!

Sara
Unread 05-03-2002, 06:00 PM

Well, I'm not serious, but I sing sometimes...

I had a sore throat after my laparoscopic tubal, because I was intubated for the general anesthesia.

No such problem with my hyst 'cause I had a spinal (no intubation required).

No hormonal changes (kept my ovaries), so I can't comment on any possible voice changes from that.

The hardest thing for me was to use my lower abs to "support my voice" after my TAH. That hurt longer than anything else - I was riding my horse at 5 weeks (gently!), doing yardwork, etc., but it took months before I could really sing right.

I don't know how common my experience is - I had an irritated nerve in my incision, so maybe I was ouchier than most. Just something to consider, if you have a world tour coming up or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 06:14 PM

Hi There!

I am a singer ~ well, I used to sing professionally - and now just for fun as well as voice-over work, so I can relate to your concerns.

I am nearly 8 months post op, and I have every bit of range as I always did. I think the key is to do lots of breathing and vocal exercises, particularly before you go and belt one out. And drink lukewarm water.

I was also on Estratest HS for a while, which really concerned me, as the Testosterone has a known possible side effect of deepening the voice. Still, my singing voice is unchanged, if not broadened on the lower end.

I don't know what the stats are; frankly I don't want to know, lest my subconscience decides to run with a dangerous crowd, so to speak.
Unread 05-03-2002, 06:46 PM

I'm a "lady in waiting," as they like to say here, so I have no experience with any hormonal problems changing the voice. I have been told that some hormone treatments can lower your voice but, as I said, I've had no experience with that.

While I've not had my hysterectomy yet, I had a myomectomy 8 years ago. Since the abdominal walls were cut, it took a while to recover my singing strength. I could sing -- sort of, like in the congregation -- after maybe 3 weeks. Having breath support and control back to pre-op condition was probably more like 3 months. But I did recover all my abdominal strength, even if my tummy protudes more than it did.

I'm scheduled for a LAVH so no abdominal cut this time but I'm expecting a good 3-6 weeks before singing is more or less normal.

Good luck, sister singer!
Unread 05-03-2002, 07:40 PM

hiya didi,

I come from a whole family of singers, I sing too
I've had several surgeries where my throat hurt after intubation, but it didn't affect my voice at all.

After my hyster, my throat didn't hurt, but I did have to be careful and sing around the house.... well, with less volume, less power..it was just uncomfortable to get enough air in and push the sound out.

You never realize how many stomach muscles you use when you sing till you can't for awhile Needless to say, really loud yelling was out as well....

am not on any kind of hormones, since my remaining ovary is still functioning, so I can't help with that subject..my voice is deep anyway, but that's from years of damage with 14 bouts of strep throat.

I had the stereo on full blast last week, and sang wonderful duets with Queen, Patsy Cline, Def Leppard and any other loud stuff I could find in the CD case..happy to report I kept up just fine with nary a tummy twinge at 9 weeks postop.

Cynthia
Unread 05-03-2002, 10:38 PM

A dear friend of mine is an opera singer. She had her hyst several years back and is in fine voice. As far as I know, nothing changed permanently for her, voice-wise.

Melissa
Unread 05-25-2002, 11:34 AM

Thanks to all of you who responded. I'm finding it hard to find out firsthand from any serious singers (trained soloists) who have had hysterectomies that can answer all my fears and questions so it helps to have whatever firsthand responses that I can get! :
Melissa - does your friend the opera singer have any words of wisdom regarding this subject? Is she part of this forum? I'd appreciate any further info I can get because I am trained by an opera singer. She is 87 and way past menopause and did not have a surgical removal of any of her female parts except for one ovary. All she can tell me is that women going through menopause DO experience vocal changes and that they have to work hard not to get a wobble or sound screechy in areas of the voice that they didn't have problems with before. She has a number of students who are in their early 50's and it is not as easy for them to toss of the high notes or sound as they did before but because they work together they are able to address these problems.

This is my #1 fear (#1 of about 7,000 fears) about a hysterectomy - and my doctor has no knowledge whatsoever on the singing subject. He keeps saying that he doesn't plan on removing my ovaries and that I shouldn't have any hormonal difference. I told him that I had heard that if you have uterus removed but not the ovaries that 50% of women experience ovarian dysfunction after the surgery. :confuse: He asked me where these statistics came from and he also said to be aware as to how old these women were - in other words they may be going experience ovarian dysfunction because they are approaching the age of menopause anyway.

My fear is that I'll go into the surgery thinking my ovaries will be kept and I'll come out and be told they had to be taken out. Then my #2 fear is that I wake up - they will still be in - but I'll experience ovarian dysfucntion - either way all fears lead to me being afraid of losing my singing voice!!!!!!!!

But I've decided to have the surgery and to trust that the Lord will be with me every step of the way.

Whew! I didn't plan on typing so much!

Didigirl
Unread 05-25-2002, 11:50 AM

I too am a singer. Was a 1st soprano before the surgery, and am still a 1st soprano - no change in my range at all. As "Horsewoman" said, the sore stomach muscules from the abdominal incision gave the most trouble for awhile with trying to support the sound. I think you can rest easy on this one - not something you need worry about!!

Best of luck to you!!!
Unread 05-25-2002, 01:00 PM
Still Singing

Hello Didigirl,

I do have 17 years of vocal training. I am a Mezzo Soprano, and I had my TAH/LSO on May 20, 2002. The other day I happen to be singing out of the clear blue, and nothing has changed. I wouldn't say that I would be ready to perform in front of a crowd. I have a vertical incision.

Now, I had a C-Section 13 years ago with a horizontal incision, and I went on to sing at a Festival about five months later and a year later ended up playing Rizzo in our local production of Grease. My voice seemed to have gotten better after my C-Section. I did other things during that time but I am having a senior moment now and I cannot remember!!!

I really hope that this helps, I don't think that you will lose anything. If you are hearing others telling you that, well, if I remember theatre correctly, there are some prima-donnas out there and they are jealous. I was told the same things when I had my child. "You'll never be able to sing now that you had a C-Section". Thank God, I had a great teacher that told me that it was all nothing but nonsense and jealousy.

I didn't mean to make this long, I am only speculating what you must be feeling. Quite frankly, you sound as panicked as I was 13 years ago. I just wanted to reassure you that it is up to you and your attitude about how you will do.

Lots of

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register