Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters

Unread 05-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Calling all serious singers/HysterSisters

Thanks Tilos- your post was a great help to me! I am expecting a vertical incision. You had your surgery so recently - how long were you in the hospital? I hope you continue to feel better and better as the days go on. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Didi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 09:41 PM

Hi Didi. It's been awhile since I sang seriously but I did when I was younger. Nowadays it's just out of pure enjoyment. I can say that while my voice did change when I had my first baby 12 years ago (I went from a 1st soprano to 2nd soprano and can sing alto now as well) I have seen no effect from the hyst other than a temporary reduction in lung capacity which lasted maybe 3 or 4 weeks post surgery. Normally I can sustain a note for about a minute or so but for a while there I couldn't last more than about 20 seconds and I was really concerned about it, but things are back to normal now! I assume that was a side effect of the anesthesia more than the hyst. So, if you notice a little shortness of breath following your surgery don't panic, things will return to normal with time. Good luck with your hyst!
s,
- Linda
Unread 05-27-2002, 05:29 AM

Hey Didi,

I am now 1 week post-op, and I still have my range. I am still rather sore in the abdomen area, so holding a note and doing crescendos(SP) is not easy. Other than that, I do not think that there will be a problem once the diaphram(SP) area is healed. I will keep you posted as the weeks move along. When is your surgery?

I can say that I knew a month and a half before my trip to the Castle, and I used that time to get into physical shape. I believe that has helped as well.

I sure hope all goes well with you, but I believe that you will do very well and bounce back and shattering glasses in no time!!!

Again, I will let you know as the weeks progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2002, 09:46 AM

Wow- I had never thought of the hormone changes affecting your voice. I have been singing for years. Now I just sing at our church but always have been serious about it. I am almost 3 weeks post op and hope and pray it doesn't affect my voice. I sang for the past two weeks and haven't noticed anything different other than just being plain wore out. I am also on HRT so maybe it won't. I will keep checking these posts to keep informed.
Barb
Unread 03-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Re: Followup to original post

I thought it would be appropriate (7 months later) to tell anyone doing a search regarding singing what my outcome thus far has been.

I didn't have any problems regarding vocal changes or vocal problems. I did not have my ovaries removed. My range has remained the same. I went in a soprano and came out a soprano.

I was intubated and had a bit of a runaround when trying to speak with the anesthesiologist prior to the day of surgery. The surgeon balked when I told him that someone had suggested an epidural/spinal for my particular surgery. It turned out to be a long surgery and could not have been done as an epidural/spinal because of complications.

I was only able to speak to the anesthesiologist right before being wheeled into the operating room. She pretty much told me that they would not insert a smaller tube down my throat (that's what singers are advised to ask for) because I needed the adult size tube in order to breathe! She also said that she was very experienced and had intubated thousands and that I was in good hands as opposed to being in the hands of a resident who did not have the experience that she had. She also said that she'd spray my throat with some type of anesthetic and that she was glad that I informed her that I was a singer and that she'd be aware of it.

So... I wish I had been able to speak with the anesthesiologist that was assigned to my surgery prior to that day. And... if you are a singer and know that you will be intubated - do as much research as you can regarding this topic.

The bottom line is that I don't hear or feel any change and neither does my voice teacher - and that is good news and worth thanking God for!

Didi

P.S. Interestingly enough one thing that I have to share here has nothing to do with my range but rather the removal of my uterus. I used to feel my enlarged uterus (weighed 4+ lbs.) because it was such a big mass. When it was removed it felt odd to sing - taking in my breath without that mass! I had to adjust to THAT feeling (or lack thereof) believe it or not! That never crossed my mind prior to the surgery because I hadn't realized how "weighed down" that mass had made me feel until it was removed!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register