Can't Believe How Easy It Was | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't Believe How Easy It Was Can't Believe How Easy It Was

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Can't Believe How Easy It Was

Well, I'm home in less than 48 hours and feeling fantastic. The only pain is a slight stinging on part of the incision. The doc ended up doing a TAH because uterus was too large to get out vaginally. He also took the tubes, cervex and the ovaries. Since I am 51, this didn't upset me at all.

For all of you LIW, please take reading materials, etc to the castle. I was sooooo bored after a few hours. I got to my room from recovery at 2:30 and didn't go to sleep until 10 that night. I ready my HisterSister book 5 times and watched lots of boring TV. Used the morphine drip once (my 16 year old son wanted to see how it worked) and never needed it again.

As I said, the only real pain was from the incision itself. I had 16 staples. When the doc removed the bandage that first morning I thought I was going to go through the roof - when the air hits the incision, it feels very much like a paper cut. When out walking the halls, it was just the stinging that bothered me. When the nurse took out the staples this morning, almost all of the stinging stopped. I have been home now for a few hours, and can hardly tell that I have undergone major surgery. Don't worry - I am drinking tons and lying here on my bed with my laptop.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi JudyAnne

Are you sure you had surgery? Well I am delighted you are doing so well.
I can't say that I was up to reading for about a month after my surgery. But as we know we are all different.
My staples were in 6 days so I had no discomfort when the bandage (which I had got wet in the shower) or the staples came out. I did use the PCA for about 4 days so I had no pain or stinging at all. It's is great if you don't need it or want to use it. But there is no need to have any discomfort at all. Pain meds can really help us relax and sleep which is what we need most when we are recovering.
Please be sure and and . It may be very tempting to over do it since you are feeling so good. But you really did have major surgery.
Keep posting and let us know how you are progressing.
Unread 05-03-2002, 05:08 PM

Judy,

Glad to hear you are doing so well ......... but remember this was major surgery, so keep taking it EASY !! Watch out for a cough or sneeze, they're killers! Keep up on the water, walk a bit, and gets lots of rest! I'm only 45 and I don't remember doing as well as you are doing, I was in the hospital for 5 days though ... couldn't eat & keep it down, so they wouldn't release me until I could do so. We're all different though, but make sure you get the rest your body deserves & needs. Continued smooth recovery!!!!!!!

Jubilee ---TAH/BSO 8/21/01 for cervical carsinoma insitu, huge fibroids, & endo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Hi

I can't tell you how encouraging it is to read a message like yours. I am so scared, mainly of after the surgery, to read your experience gives me hope. Maybe, just maybe, it won't be quite as bad as I am imagining. If it is, I think mentallly I am ready, but if it's not, I will be just as grateful as you are. Thanks for your message. Just please take it easy as long as you can while you are healing. Good luck.
Unread 05-04-2002, 07:13 AM
Relief

Thank you so much for the positive post. You must tolerate pain VERY well! Congrats on the success of your surgery! Take it easy during the recovery.
Unread 05-04-2002, 07:45 AM

Welcome Home, Judy,

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling great!! But, please remember that you have many, many stitches, that need time to heal, and don't try to do too much, too soon.

As far as the boring TV - I did need to use my morphine drip and that's the only thing that made the TV shows bearable, I had no idea what was on

Be sure to get lots of rest, drink fluids and walk a little bit each day.

's

Karen
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:11 AM
Congratulations!!

WOW!! I am so very happy (and envious) for you!!

My surgery (TAH w/cystocele & rectocele) was Fri. (April 26). I was in surgery for 5 hours and believe me all I remember of the few hours left in the day is pain and drifting in and out. I was there 2 nights (Dr. wanted a third), and came home with a catheter (YUK!!). By mistake we went for Dr. appoint. on Tues. (the other surgeon had told us to). My Dr. was amazed that I was out of bed. She said there was no way she would be removing the staples or the catheter until the next Tues. (May 7) - 11 days after surgery. Believe me, you have had some type of miraculous intervention!! I could only dream of such a recovery!!

Please do remember to take good care of yourself. God bless!

Rayna
Unread 05-04-2002, 11:25 AM

Well, I have spent my first night in my own bed and actually slept til 9AM this morning!!! I wish now that I had bought two body pillows. How do you roll over and take the pillow with you???

By the way - coughing is a real pain! At least I was warned on this board about coughing and sneezing and had my little pillow with me in the castle. However, the first cough caught me unaware and wow! Also, no one ever mentioned that blowing the nose is also painful and really could use a tummy pillow!

Judy
Unread 05-04-2002, 12:19 PM

Hi Judy!

Glad you are home and resting. I too had a pretty easy time in the castle. I didn't have a problem when they took off the bandages though. Sorry that happened to you! I really must tolerate pain more than I think, I didn't use the Morphine that much either.

I had hubby make a splint for me. The Navy castle called it that. He took a double sheet and folded it over and over again so the final result was about 8 x 8 rectangle. Then he ran strapping tape on it. This is what they did at the castle as well. Worked wonderful for me, especially getting up from the couch or sneezing!

I didn't get a chance to buy body pillows, I just used regular pillows. I'm short, so I took one from my head to my butt and one from my butt to my feet. Heh, told you I was short! But, they worked! I came home from the castle on a Friday. By Monday I didn't need them. I had my staples out on Tuesday and slept so soundly on my tummy Tuesday night.

Remember to rest, walk, drink and rest some more. Come and post on the post-op board when you are ready. We'll be there waiting, no rush!

Sara
Unread 05-04-2002, 05:12 PM

** a reminder**
alot of you sisters may have to take it upon yourselves to do the leg excersises in bed, immediately post-op, and the deep breathing and coughing to avoid post op pnuemonia.
I found in the castle, not one nurse reminded us or asked us if we were doing them. My roomie was also a hystersister and we reminded each other, lol.
As much as it hurts so bad to cough, try to do it!! Believe me the discomfort is worth it to avoid complications later, and use the pump! that's what it is there for.
Also with the legs, I was constantly flexing and moving my legs around to avoid the complication of blood clots. Of course once you are up and about, it's not as necessary.
I know these things were mentioned on my preop instruction sheets but it seemed no one was enforcing them.
Good Luck girls, the waiting truly is the worst part!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register